• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it a myth that spaying rabbits prevents uterine cancer?

Ok lets think, what is cancer in the first place? Cancer is where cells reproduce abnormal/damaged cells. All cancers start because abnormal cells grow out of control, do not die like normal cells and they invade other cells and tissue.
The reason small animals only live for shorter periods of time (Like how a hamster lives for 3-4 years) is because smaller animals reproduce their cells much faster then us humans. Now the chances of having cancer within, lets say 5 years, is much higher because they reproduce cells much quicker then us. So a higher chance of getting a damaged cell very early on.
Rabbits are designed to breed like wildfire. And if they are not being bred from then that causes hormonal problems and to the cells in the reproductive organs.

I actually have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to why the cancer appears in the uterus but that is my un-educated guess on it :lol:

And not to forget an unspayed rabbit is like owning a piranha :roll:

that did make me laugh :)

little eskimo -
thinking about it in this way i have read that we are all born with cancer in our cells - we have it now - today - this second- in our bodies? is this even true?

the reason that it doesnt take hold of us and make us ill in any area of our bodies - kidneys, testicles, skin, lungs, uterus etc. is that our immune systems when working well simply fight or flush out the cancer cells -

so if any of that is true wouldnt it then simply become a case of keeping the rabbits immune system working well?

x

little eskimo -
thinking about it in this way i have read that we are all born with cancer in our cells - we have it now - today - this second- in our bodies? is this even true?

the reason that it doesnt take hold of us and make us ill in any area of our bodies - kidneys, testicles, skin, lungs, uterus etc. is that our immune systems when working well simply fight or flush out the cancer cells -

so if any of that is true wouldnt it then simply become a case of keeping the rabbits immune system working well?

x

Your body doesn't fight cancer cells because they are your own cells with your own DNA it doesn't recognise them as a threat. That's why its so hard to treat. Cancer is when our own cells 'forget' how to die, a cell malfunction if you will. Its not like a virus to you catch and its not external to your own body.

little eskimo -

x

not with this type of cancer as its more related to breeding. But if we breed them enough that they dont get the cancer they would die from the stress on their bodies from having babies constantly....

little eskimo -

x

I just don't see how that can be true... Cancer is caused by rapid reproduction of cells etc, as LittleEskimo explained.... it's not just something we "have".

In regards to the original question, I have heard of so many rabbits going in to be spayed that already have uterine cancer, that I will always get my female bunnies spayed (the boys are always neutered as well, just to clarify). Even if the risk wasn't as high as it is, if you can do something to prevent them ever getting a type of cancer that is common in their species, why on earth wouldn't you do it?

It doesn't apply to a human because humans and animals are completely different. Hence why animal testing is so outdated and there have been advancements for human medicines/cosmetics etc excluding animals completely.

Every species is different in one way or another, whether that be by a single gene or what it doesn't matter. Rabbits develop in such a way that uterine cancer is a risk when unspayed, yes other cancers are a risk, but not to the same extent. Same with many animals there will be one or more common ailments that will be more common in that collective species but again there will be exceptions to that.

Spaying bunnies to prevent uterine cancer isn't a myth.

I for one, have never heard of a case of uterine cancer in a spayed rabbit, where as I have heard of lots of cases of uterine cancer in unspayed rabbits - some in very young ones. Just ask the rescues that have hundreds of bunnies spayed a year - they'll tell you that their vets often report early signs of cancer - and cancer itself.

As for obesity, not every spayed rabbit is overweight and not every unspayed one is a healthy weight. Spaying does not mean a rabbit will put on weight, just that as they are expending less energy on hormonal related behaviours the will need less calories in their diet. Any extra predisposition to weight gain can easily be counted by a good diet, plenty of exercise and regular weight monitoring.

Your body doesn't fight cancer cells because they are your own cells with your own DNA it doesn't recognise them as a threat. That's why its so hard to treat. Cancer is when our own cells 'forget' how to die, a cell malfunction if you will. Its not like a virus to you catch and its not external to your own body.

yep i have read this to -

a rogue :)

x

I haven't read the whole thread but if you think uterine cancer is a myth then search my threads for rabbits like Fifi, Poppet, Missus, Emmy-Lou, Dumpling..........

It doesn't apply to a human because humans and animals are completely different. Hence why animal testing is so outdated and there have been advancements for human medicines/cosmetics etc excluding animals completely.

Every species is different in one way or another, whether that be by a single gene or what it doesn't matter. Rabbits develop in such a way that uterine cancer is a risk when unspayed, yes other cancers are a risk, but not to the same extent. Same with many animals there will be one or more common ailments that will be more common in that collective species but again there will be exceptions to that.

Spaying bunnies to prevent uterine cancer isn't a myth.

i think its not really mainstream to say yet that because animals r different to humans they are not comparible.

i have seen the sites such as dr hadwen trust on the arguments against animal testing.

equally i have seen that the government is considering sending our stray cats and dogs to the animal labs for testing on.

btw : i except that there can be no chance of uterine cancer if the uterus is removed. the myth was really asking is it the truth that you would go and get neutered for the highest health of the rabbit.

because humans dont see a point to the reproductive system because they are not breeding the rabbit - i was wondering about the rabbit and if they felt there was a point to their reproductive system.

of course additional problem is that we cant ask bunny - i imagine bunny would not be complying with a lot of our wishes too!

i know women have suffered side effects and been devastated - but again it raises as many angles as it puts to rest.

x

''We recommend that all rabbits are neutered for many reasons, as we recommend
that all rabbits should be kept in pairs. Most rescue shelters have a
policy that they do not allow rabbits to be adopted unless they go out in
pairs, or a single rabbit that is going to be a companion for another.It is
now deemed as unfair to keep rabbits without a companion, especially a bunny
that lives outdoors.

I run the help line and have been doing this for 10 years. I also ran a
shelter of my own for 8 years. In my days we did not recommend the females
were neutered as it was considered it to be too risky. Modern day
anaesthetics have proved that it is far safer now and the majority of rescue
shelters neuter all rabbits before being adopted. I take a huge number of
calls from the public who no longer wish to keep their rabbit because it is
vicious...Most of them turn out to be female....approx 6 months of age and I
explain that this is typical female behaviour....Bunny PMT. Unspayed
females will often build nests- have false pregnancies. Pair an un-
neutered female with a male and when he shows very little interest in her
sexually, she will often turn on him in frustration. I cannot actually
remember where we got the information from, but I think years ago vets in
the USA did a survey and proved that 80% of females died prematurely from
uterine cancer. I can certainly find out. But this is only one of the
reasons why we recommend that does are spayed.

We are very fortunate to have many rabbit experienced vets that support our
recommendation. Frances Harcourt-Brown- Richard Saunders who is our
veterinary resident at Bristol Zoo Gardens and the Small Animal Clinic at
Langford. Brigitte Reusch was our first veterinary resident and she is now
the first dedicated rabbit lecturer in Europe. Anna Meridith at The Royal
**** School. Edinburgh University- Sharon Redrobe who has recently moved
from Bristol to Nottingham.

I am not a vet and would not dare to preach to you- but I feel confident
with the information I have just given. I am the organizer of The RWA/F
Conferences- Our next being in Manchester in May. Brigitte Reusch, Sharon
Redrobe, Richard Saunders and Anne Meredith are lecturing for me, as is
Kevin Eatwell from The Royal **** School and Molly Varga.

Cottontails Rabbit Rescue have also begun an early neutering campaign. With
the backing of Richard, Anna, Sharon and Brigitte, plus Sean Wensley Chief
Veterinary Office for the PDSA and the Bristol RSPCA vet- it is recommended
that females are neutered at 16 weeks and not 6 months as recommended by
many veterinary practices.''

This was an email sent to my old vet from the rwaf after I left the practice because they refused to spay one of my rabbits and moreover accused me of getting my reasons for advocating spaying off a 'dodgey american website'.

Also if you see my previous post I've linked relevant vet papers which support the view on uterine cancer.

i do want to just additionally clarify - i am not contemplating the spaying issue but

spaying specifically for health reasons.

for example: because of spaying rabbits are becoming overweight and dying and this is more prominent than cancer? i dont know- even writing that raises a million little threads from all different angles. it doesnt seem quite right either.

it is actually a really complicated issue.

thanks kermit & nutsandstuff 4 the input :)

what makes uterine cancer a special issue for rabbits? i have read actually it is not - it is a myth.

x

Uterine cancer is very common in unspayed rabbits - I am not a vet and so do not now the specifics of why - however I am wondering whether the incidence goes up if females do not breed - It is a fact the incidence os breast cancer is much higher in human females who have not had children - as the hormones are not performing in the way nature intended (ie spending time producing children etc).

I am NOT advocating breeding rabbits - but just wondering of the causes are related?

Also you have not mentioned the physchological isues encountered by unneutered females who are often very frustrated (literally) with many phantom pregnancies.

I must be missing something:
How can a rabbit get uterine cancer if it has no uterus. Put another way: Male rabbits have no uterus & do not get uterine cancer.

Also - you had an accidental litter & are now rehoming - spaying DEFINITELY prevents that. So spaying =win win to me

I must be missing something:
How can a rabbit get uterine cancer if it has no uterus. Put another way: Male rabbits have no uterus & do not get uterine cancer.

Also - you had an accidental litter & are now rehoming - spaying DEFINITELY prevents that. So spaying =win win to me

you are missing something because you have not read the full thread.

cheers

Uterine cancer is very common in unspayed rabbits - I am not a vet and so do not now the specifics of why - however I am wondering whether the incidence goes up if females do not breed - It is a fact the incidence os breast cancer is much higher in human females who have not had children - as the hormones are not performing in the way nature intended (ie spending time producing children etc).

I am NOT advocating breeding rabbits - but just wondering of the causes are related?

Also you have not mentioned the physchological isues encountered by unneutered females who are often very frustrated (literally) with many phantom pregnancies.

I remember reading somewhere ages ago that breeding rabbits (regularly) do not get cancer until they are very old and I always thought that's why pet rabbits get it so early if they are not being bred.

So, you can't breed rabbits simply for health because, well, it's just a bad idea and if you don't breed them they get cancer. Much better just to get rid of the organ that causes all the problems. No accidental babies, no cancer. Everybody happy :thumb:

Also, I never answered the weight issue. My Rosie got spayed over a year ago now and she is still in good shape :)

This was an email sent to my old vet from the rwaf after I left the practice because they refused to spay one of my rabbits and moreover accused me of getting my reasons for advocating spaying off a 'dodgey american website'.

Also if you see my previous post I've linked relevant vet papers which support the view on uterine cancer.

i think it was little-laura who provided a link to a myth busting rabbit website - albeit she did not agree and it made her angry.

yes you too have had experience of a vet saying this.

it says on there funnily enough that the myth came from the usa and the study was done on new zealand rabbits which were euthanised - ie didnt die from cancer .....but had it and.....so on

and that the study of uterine cancer wasnt relevant to australia nor england.

i would be inclined to dig further about this then after your post -

thanks

x

btw : i except that there can be no chance of uterine cancer if the uterus is removed. the myth was really asking is it the truth that you would go and get neutered for the highest health of the rabbit.

Yes, absolutely, 100% unless there is a medical reason why surgery would not be appropriate (ie for other medical reasons).

Two out of four female rabbits that I have had, had uterine changes when they were spayed. In their cases I feel 100% sure that spaying has prevented cancer, both in the uterus, and from spreading to other parts of the body. I also believe this to be true of my other two female rabbits that did not have uterine cancer, since they now have no chance of developing it. :D

Oh, and they are/were bonded, meaning they live/d enriched happy lives :D

Human females who don't have babies, or enough babies, do indeed suffer from reproductive issues - I've certainly had my fair share of problems, and my gynaecologist told me this.

I would imagine that it is even more greatly escalated in a rabbit, who is designed to breed extensively, and perhaps not evolved to live the long lives that they do in captivity.

Back