• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is my bunny chewing on her water bottle spout?

RosemaryBunny

Young Bun
My bunny Rosemary sometimes just randomly chews on her water bottle spout. She drinks it just fine otherwise, it's obviously not her trying to get more water out of it. She's got rabbit friendly sticks, chew-toys and hay to munch on and she doesn't have any dental issues. Should I be concerned, or is this normal or a just a quirk of her personality?

My bunny Rosemary sometimes just randomly chews on her water bottle spout. She drinks it just fine otherwise, it's obviously not her trying to get more water out of it. She's got rabbit friendly sticks, chew-toys and hay to munch on and she doesn't have any dental issues. Should I be concerned, or is this normal or a just a quirk of her personality?
How big is her enclosure? I've seen buns do that when they don't have enough space.

Altho tbh a bowl of water is recommended rather than bottles for rabbits, it's a more natural drinking position for them :)

Furries usually 'chew' on water bottle spouts when they can't get enough water out to meet their immediate thirst. It must be quite frustrating to only get a drop at a time, and it can be hard work with some spouts. Rabbits do much better with a heavy ceramic water bowl - traditional dog or cat bowls work well. Lightweight bowls get knocked over too easily.

How big is her enclosure? I've seen buns do that when they don't have enough space.

Altho tbh a bowl of water is recommended rather than bottles for rabbits, it's a more natural drinking position for them :)
It's 4' by 4'. Before you mention it, yes I know it's cramped. It's unfortunately the best I can do :cry: . She does have 5-6 hours exercising in a 15' by 6' run each day. I have a small business breeding my rabbits for pets, and currently 100% of the profits are going to improve their enclosures. So if space is the case, hopefully I won't be seeing any more bottle biting soon. :)

Also, I've tried a bowl on her... She WILL NOT DRINK FROM IT. It is really annoying. I adopted her when she was 1.5 years old, and her previous owners had her use a bottle and the metal pellet feeder thing. She is so stuck in her habits that she only drinks from a bottle and eats from a metal hanging feeder. I've tried bowls, trust me! :)

Thanks Graciee!

Furries usually 'chew' on water bottle spouts when they can't get enough water out to meet their immediate thirst. It must be quite frustrating to only get a drop at a time, and it can be hard work with some spouts. Rabbits do much better with a heavy ceramic water bowl - traditional dog or cat bowls work well. Lightweight bowls get knocked over too easily.

heh heh I forgot rabbits get a drop a lick with a water bottle. She does look frustrated...

Back