• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is good breeding the answer?

If you reread my posts you'll see I've specified good breeders. As pointed out by someone else, being BRC registered doesn't make them a good breeder, as anyone can register

If you reread my posts you'll see I've specified good breeders. As pointed out by someone else, being BRC registered doesn't make them a good breeder, as anyone can register

That's what I'm trying to say...how do you know if somebody is a good breeder? It's amazing what goes on behind closed doors. And a breeder's reputation within the breeding community doesn't stand for anything in my experience.

How can you be sure a rescue is a good rescue?
As said, all you can do is talk and visit. A good breeder will have nothing to hide, and I think as a potential pet owner it's your responsibility to research where you're getting the pet from, be it a rescue or breeder

That's what I'm trying to say...how do you know if somebody is a good breeder? It's amazing what goes on behind closed doors. And a breeder's reputation within the breeding community doesn't stand for anything in my experience.

But according to that argument, how do you ever know that anyone is any good at anything? If you were getting some double glazing done you'd probably go by word of mouth recommendation from someone you trusted - not the hard sell. Therefore, if you were wanting to find a breeder, you'd be unlikely to go by what is said within the breeding community, unless you were a breeder yourself.

As said, all you can do is talk and visit. A good breeder will have nothing to hide, and I think as a potential pet owner it's your responsibility to research where you're getting the pet from, be it a rescue or breeder

I totally agree - in both cases you'd go and visit, look around, ask questions and make some choices.

You can't...I never said you could...you're the one telling people where to get their rabbits from, not me.

For me...the whole breeder/rescue debate basically boils down to whether you want to do good by helping a homeless rabbit, or whether you just want a cute pet. The issue is entirely a moral one.

That's why true. There is nothing stopping BYB breeders joining the BRC and than giving the BRC a bad reputation.

I'm not telling people where to get their rabbits from :roll: I've only ever got 4 of my pets from breeders, the rest are all rescues. I'm just saying I'm not against breeding if it's done properly :roll:
Lots of people have a very anti-breeder stance. Just because someone goes to a breeder it doesn't mean it's because they're heartless and don't want to help a homeless animal. I know lots of people who rescue and eventually can't deal with the heartbreak of constantly ill animals who die young so go to a responsible breeder for a healthy animal that's a lot more likely to live it's full life expectancy. Or people who are getting pets that young children may interactive with so want something with more predictable behaviour (as much as a rescue can assess, with unknown lineage they can't guarantee it - breeders who breed for good health have a better chance of knowing what the animal will act like in certain situations). I think breeder pets have benefits in certain cases - for example someone who's very nervous around animals already could be traumatised for life by a rescue animal that is nervous itself.

Well this is interesting, I would like to make the following comments

The conditions that the breeder kept 'Bobs 19 rescue bunnies' in was appalling to say the least, I will NEVER forget the scenes that I faced that night and he is a member of the BRC and so in my opinion that is a worthless organisation, even when I contacted them they are not interested in his breeding conditions.

I keep hearing this comments about 'good breeders' and 'back street breeders', now to me a breeder is a breeder and I have yet to come accross a so called 'good breeder', both types of breeder have one purpose in life and that is to produce more and more animals which the majority either end up unwanted or 'culled', so as far as I am concerned there are no 'good' breeders. Only yesterday I read on this very forum that a breeders with 13 years experience and more experience than any vet, had a bunny pts because it had 'snuffles', that breeder doesn't neuter or vaccinate.

No, we don't need 'professional' breeders, we need them to stop there selfish indulgance.

All this, of course, is just my opinion

Do you know for sure that all breeders cull or their rabbits end up in rescues though? Lots of people seem to be lumping breeders into one group but have you actually spoke to a responsible breeder or seen their conditions? I can think of several members on RU alone that bred and the photos of their setups were brilliant, they quiz owners very thoroughly, will take back unwanted buns, etc - afterall they love rabbits just as much as we do so why would they send their babies off to a bad home? Just because some people breed for profit it doesn't mean everyone does. There are bad rescues out there but there's no big campaign against all rescues because of the bad ones.
If we want to stop their "selfish indulgment" perhaps we should stop ours of owning rabbits?

To be fair, rescues are unlikely to come across good breeders, surely? Since good breeders would home their animals to responsible owners, who would not end up giving their animals to rescues. Similarly, they would not keep their animals in appalling conditions and come to people's attentions that way.

Do you know for sure that all breeders cull or their rabbits end up in rescues though? Lots of people seem to be lumping breeders into one group but have you actually spoke to a responsible breeder or seen their conditions? I can think of several members on RU alone that bred and the photos of their setups were brilliant, they quiz owners very thoroughly, will take back unwanted buns, etc - afterall they love rabbits just as much as we do so why would they send their babies off to a bad home? Just because some people breed for profit it doesn't mean everyone does. There are bad rescues out there but there's no big campaign against all rescues because of the bad ones.
If we want to stop their "selfish indulgment" perhaps we should stop ours of owning rabbits?

Well you tell me, what do they do with the bunnies that have lived their usefulness?, keep them as pets?, I don't think so, I don't think they love their rabbits at all............they just want to improve their ego in the show ring!

As I have already said, I have yet to find a so called good breeder

To be fair, rescues are unlikely to come across good breeders, surely? Since good breeders would home their animals to responsible owners, who would not end up giving their animals to rescues. Similarly, they would not keep their animals in appalling conditions and come to people's attentions that way.

:thumb:

I agree

I'm not necessarily talking about people who show, you don't have to show to be a breeder. Why do breeders automatically not love rabbits? Why couldn't they keep them as pets after (or more important, during) breeding :?

Well you tell me, what do they do with the bunnies that have lived their usefulness?, keep them as pets?, I don't think so, I don't think they love their rabbits at all............they just want to improve their ego in the show ring!

You are surely generalising so many different people here!

To be fair, rescues are unlikely to come across good breeders, surely? Since good breeders would home their animals to responsible owners, who would not end up giving their animals to rescues. Similarly, they would not keep their animals in appalling conditions and come to people's attentions that way

Agreed, and why do you think I don't love my rabbits? My goodness if I didn't, why would I spend ages out there with them?

Answer my question then.......what do they do with bunnies that have out lived their usefulness?

Answer my question then.......what do they do with bunnies that have out lived their usefulness?

Why must they have outlived their usefulness? What if the breeder owns them first and foremost as a pet, they'd never outlive that 'job'.

Back