• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is dust free hay worth it?

I like DFH but its very expensive. If you can afford it & you only have a few pets then its ideal.

I'm a breeder, and because i have a lot of cavies, when i buy hay i want good quality, so now after trying it out on my own pigs, i'm the supplier of good quality almost dust free hay.

To tell the difference in the quantity, 2 bales of DFH lasts me 4 days, but the hay i can get lasts me 3 weeks, and its also a lot cheaper!

:wave: i used to get timmy hay dust free but mine decided yuk after a long time..they werent keen on meadow soft hay either r the really dry yellow looking timmy hay.

i bought a bale of the dust free stalky hay...the sack i can get into lol....and t is brill...my buns are house buns as is my mums bun.....it is eating hay but it also ends up in the litter tray:roll:

its the biggest size there is...and it lasts us a long while..i have bertie the frenchie..his little wifey bif....upstairs bun merlin..and my mums dwarf lop.

i get the masive sack and slice it up and fit it into two big lastic boxes on wheels with vents in..and the rest goes to my mum....

i dont sneeze as mychw ith it neither do the buns...until it gets to the bottom of the box....

i think it works out about a month two months almsot three if mums bun doesnt keep wasting it and getting our buns share too:lol:

the stalkier and chewier the hay hte better the buns have said.

i get hayfever dont laff...and the dust free stalky one is much easier to live with!! yes its pricey but for my buns health...and mine...its worth it:wave:

I think its misleading when Norman says its a bale, he should put the weight.

He does - 15 - 18kg.

Yup it is a lot more expensive than a farmer down the road but for those not close enough to have a good supplier locally the DFH company is a lowish cost (when you compare to say oxbow) good quality supplier hay which can be bought risk free online.

I used to buy DFH when i only had 2 buns but can't afford to now with 8, The Duchess gets me a bale just anice as the dust free hay for £4 from the farm she goes to.

He does - 15 - 18kg.

Yup it is a lot more expensive than a farmer down the road but for those not close enough to have a good supplier locally the DFH company is a lowish cost (when you compare to say oxbow) good quality supplier hay which can be bought risk free online.

I totally agree, also if you ever visit Norman and see the machinery working when he is dust extracting, you would never buy another farm bale again if you saw the muck that comes out of it.

But its three times the price! DFH for a 15 - 18kg bag costs £26.99

The hay i can get where most of the dust is taken out, and it doesn't affect my asthma or other peoples hay fever, costs for the same size £8.50!

We all have a choice as to what hay we like, and whats best for our animals. But why pay over the odds when you can get it for a 3rd of the price. :)

I'm going to the London champ show held at Reading on Saturday 12th september, anyone can go. I can bring some hay up for people if wanted just let me know by email, but i have only 3 bags left until i get my next delivery.:)

Email jillandco1@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited:
So who makes this cheaper hay you keep mentioning? Also if you are able to collect you can get the large bales of hay from the DFH cheaper than £26.99 as that includes the courier costs

I've run out of dfh, so bought some from the local farm shop. The bunnies eat it without a problem, but there is a lot of wastage from it and it doesn't half make me sneeze!
Salt has a tendency towards snuffles so it's much better for him.
Must put in an order today!

So who makes this cheaper hay you keep mentioning? Also if you are able to collect you can get the large bales of hay from the DFH cheaper than £26.99 as that includes the courier costs

I order it from my wholesaler minimum order £200, but i sell it per bag but you do have to collect it, or i can take it to some shows.:D

As you are so protective of the DFH, do you work for Norman or are you Norman?

I order it from my wholesaler minimum order £200, but i sell it per bag but you do have to collect it, or i can take it to some shows.:D

As you are so protective of the DFH, do you work for Norman or are you Norman?

Who got in your knickers? I asked a civil question - who is your hay by? which I think people are entitled to know if you are trying to flog it. It is nice to know where our products come from. And no I am not Norman nor do I work for him, we buy our hay from there that's all and are appreciative of how hard he works to produce hay of the quality that he does. I wouldn't buy from anyone who is so guarded and down right rude as to answering a simple question of who is your hay by. Jeez some people:roll:

Who got in your knickers? I asked a civil question - who is your hay by? which I think people are entitled to know if you are trying to flog it. It is nice to know where our products come from. And no I am not Norman nor do I work for him, we buy our hay from there that's all and are appreciative of how hard he works to produce hay of the quality that he does. I wouldn't buy from anyone who is so guarded and down right rude as to answering a simple question of who is your hay by. Jeez some people:roll:

I wasn't being rude i was just asking a question. On the bag of hay it doesn't say who makes it, the bag is blank.

I get DFH for my two and they love it. I just had a cheap bale from a farm shop delivered, thought I'd try it for the buns as a way of saving money, but it's very yellow and looks nothing like as good quality so I'm not going to give it to them - it can mulch my fruit bushes or something :lol: Definitely sticking with the DFH for the bunnies.

I wasn't being rude i was just asking a question. On the bag of hay it doesn't say who makes it, the bag is blank.

So do you buy it from an invisible source then. Even if the bag doesn't have anything on it, you must surely know who you get it from and if you are supplying people with their product then surely you have asked where the hay comes from. Even more reason imo not to buy it. A blank bag with no info available as to where it comes from or who/where the source is just sounds a bit dodgy - I certainly wouldn't risk feeding it to any of our animals or boarders.

So do you buy it from an invisible source then. Even if the bag doesn't have anything on it, you must surely know who you get it from and if you are supplying people with their product then surely you have asked where the hay comes from. Even more reason imo not to buy it. A blank bag with no info available as to where it comes from or who/where the source is just sounds a bit dodgy - I certainly wouldn't risk feeding it to any of our animals or boarders.

No one is asking you to buy it!

The hay i buy from my supplier is good quality hay, i wouldn't feed it to my cavies if it wasn't. If anyone is interested in a free sample to see the quality of this hay please contact me.

No one is asking you to buy it!

The hay i buy from my supplier is good quality hay, i wouldn't feed it to my cavies if it wasn't. If anyone is interested in a free sample to see the quality of this hay please contact me.
I would want to know who your supplier is before buying anything new. EG Oxbow? Alfa King? Excel etc? If it isnt from a brand such as these is it a local farmer who then dust extracts it?

I would want to know who your supplier is before buying anything new. EG Oxbow? Alfa King? Excel etc? If it isnt from a brand such as these is it a local farmer who then dust extracts it?

I buy it from a wholesale supplier who doesn't sell to the general public. I picked up a bag when i was there to try it, as i was fed up with all the dust in the bales, I liked it & i bought more. The wholesaler buys it in, but they couldn't give me any details other than its almost dust free.

Like i said before, if anyone wants to try a small bag of this hay then contact me, when you get the hay if you don't like it throw it away, but i think you will like it thats why i'm offering it for free, all you have to pay is for the postage which i will have to work out, but i'm thinking it will be in the region of £1.50. This is just for a trial offer to see if you like it!

If anyone wants me to bring a 15 - 18 kg bag up to the London Champ show this saturday please let me know. The cost will be £8.50.

Last edited:
Fantastic Cheap Hay?

mine were on dfh due to me being abit funny with dusty hay but ive now found a supplier of fantastic quality, relatively dust free hay half the price.

sorry norman :D

Hi,:wave:
about to get our first bunny and reading as much as possible.... could you share with me where you get your hay from?

Thanks, Cerstin

Back