• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is dust free hay worth it?

£18 :shock: I got this huuuuge bale of hay from a local farm, dust free out of Joylles it wasn't as expensive at £18 and the buns love it and their poos are such a better colour too

If your bunnies will eat regular baled hay at £3.50 a bale, then don't bother with DFH. However, mine will only pick at every hay under the sun but they wolf down the Stalky from Norman at DFH. So IMO, it's absolutely worth spending around £3.00 a bag, which lasts my four around a week and a half to two weeks. I use cheap stuff to line the litter trays (which they pick at) but I've never found anything like the stalky DFH that they will jump you for:lol::lol:

I used to get hay from the stables, then Alfred wouldn't eat it, so I ordered the DFH and he loves it, I get it by the big bale (normal horse sized bale), and it lasts him approx 3 months.

He did have issues with snuffles, and has been fine on this.

Jx

Sorry to be so ignorant but what is better - soft or stalky hay?

And where does dried grass come into the equation - is it better or worse than hay?

Thanks Catharine xxx

Mine love...

The dust free hay i get. I used to buy Normans hay which is good but its expensive!

The hay i can get is the same size as Normans large bag of hay but a lot cheaper, and the quality is the same, and my lot love it! :D

Last edited:
Sorry to be so ignorant but what is better - soft or stalky hay?

And where does dried grass come into the equation - is it better or worse than hay?

Thanks Catharine xxx

Not sure if one is 'better' than the other. I first bought soft, which mine liked but I noticed that they always tried to pick out the stalkier, thicker pieces first. The next time I ordered stalky and all my four absolutely adore it.

Dried grass is simply that - dried grass. I think it's probably higher in calcium than hay but if your buns won't eat hay, then dried grass is far better than nothing. Some people only feed Readigrass as a treat (due to the calcium content) but mine have a large handful every day and I've never had any problems. I figure that wild rabbits eat grass, and lots of it. But then my rabbits really only eat hay, fresh and dried grass, fresh veg and about half a doz SS Mature pellets each per day so their diet is pretty natural.

We have an offer on DFH at the moment, it's exactly the same hay as Norman does in the hessian sacks just packed differently for pet shops, works out at £2.50 for a small bale if bought on the special offer.

I have used Normans DFH, the bale isnt a true bale like you would get from a farm its a lot smaller, in fact its about a quarter of the size.

I have used Normans DFH, the bale isnt a true bale like you would get from a farm its a lot smaller, in fact its about a quarter of the size.

The term bale was meant to represent the wordage used by the DFH for one of their bags. It fills a black dustbin when opened out and imo is much better quality than normal farm hay - minimal to no dust for a start and no mites either:D

My lot like the soft DFH.

I buy fairly good hay from a local farm for bedding but it is quite dusty. Also, my lot will eat all the DFH, so there is less wastage.

I think it's worth it for my two, they do lovely golden poo with DFH:lol:!

My lot like the soft DFH.

I buy fairly good hay from a local farm for bedding but it is quite dusty. Also, my lot will eat all the DFH, so there is less wastage.

I think it's worth it for my two, they do lovely golden poo with DFH:lol:!

:lol: YAY for golden Dust Free Poos:lol:

Dried grass is simply that - dried grass. I think it's probably higher in calcium than hay but if your buns won't eat hay, then dried grass is far better than nothing. Some people only feed Readigrass as a treat (due to the calcium content) but mine have a large handful every day and I've never had any problems. I figure that wild rabbits eat grass, and lots of it.

Not sure about calcium content, I hope it's not higher than hay. The pack of Readigrass says it has the 'right balance of calcium and phosphorus', so I'm taking that to to mean it's not high enough to be a problem, as I've a bunny in particular for whom I have to watch calcium intake. I've only just bought my first bag of Readigrass so did wonder if I could just treat it the same as hay as far as introducing/amounts to give. It says it's higher in nutrients than hay so I think it will be a regular item for them, if they like it. ... as above says wild rabbits eat grass and lots of it so I'm also trying to match that diet as much as possible for my bunnies.

The term bale was meant to represent the wordage used by the DFH for one of their bags. It fills a black dustbin when opened out and imo is much better quality than normal farm hay - minimal to no dust for a start and no mites either:D

I think its misleading when Norman says its a bale, he should put the weight.

Back