• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is any outdoor setup safe...

I do worry about foxes...I guess no set up is completely safe...apart from a brick building with a door lined with metal sheeting on the outside :lol:

I saw a fox on the run roof a few weeks ago making his screeching noises...managed to attack him with a tub of water :D

Pulled up outside my house a few months back and there are 2 of the pacing around the car...one of them kept standing up with his front paws at the window :shock: drove around the block but they were still there :evil:...was hungry at this point so just opened my door slightly and the fox was sticking his nose through...hit him on it with my steering lock and he ran away. They're not scared at all around here.

Am reading a lot lately about double meshing...I'm guess a fox can easily push/pull on the mesh and push out/ pull out the wire staples :?

Oh thanks for the info Janice
I'll just use u shaped nails then, are these type of nails ok for securing mesh onto the wood, will they go deep enough ?

What I would do in future if building an outdoor setup is to screw a wooden strip over the mesh on the inside with the longest possible screws. So it'd be like awood-mesh-wood sandwich. Bit of a faff though but I am paranoid as I lost my buns to a fox :(

Also, use the heaviest mesh possible, I lost mine because the fox literally chewing through the mesh - it didn't pull it out of the wood, just bit a hole in it.

www.meshdirect.co.uk has a good choice.

What I would do in future if building an outdoor setup is to screw a wooden strip over the mesh on the inside with the longest possible screws. So it'd be like awood-mesh-wood sandwich. Bit of a faff though but I am paranoid as I lost my buns to a fox :(

Also, use the heaviest mesh possible, I lost mine because the fox literally chewing through the mesh - it didn't pull it out of the wood, just bit a hole in it.

This is how they fixed the mesh to my kennel

Did it chew through galvanised mesh? :(

Am reading a lot lately about double meshing...I'm guess a fox can easily push/pull on the mesh and push out/ pull out the wire staples :?

I double meshed because my kennel was made for larger dogs and the mesh is really thick and is held in place sandwiched between two pieces of wood, but the gaps in the mesh were too big I thought a passing cat could put a paw through and scratch a bunny or small animals such as rats might get in so I used another mesh on the inside of the run with smaller gaps the fox would have to work through the large heavy mesh to get to the smaller mesh, and it was designed to keep dogs in so I hope it will keep foxes out but I still worry as you can never be sure can you?

I double meshed because my kennel was made for larger dogs and the mesh is really thick and is held in place sandwiched between two pieces of wood, but the gaps in the mesh were too big I thought a passing cat could put a paw through and scratch a bunny or small animals such as rats might get in so I used another mesh on the inside of the run with smaller gaps the fox would have to work through the large heavy mesh to get to the smaller mesh, and it was designed to keep dogs in so I hope it will keep foxes out but I still worry as you can never be sure can you?

Your kennel sounds nice and secure definitely the best way to have the mesh secured on. But yeh...can never be sure...it is a worry...especially if you know that there are foxes active in the area.

I lost a bun (who escaped :cry:) to a fox...am constantly worried now. I think I'll be double meshing soon...and perhaps trying the wee idea :lol:

Oh thanks for the info Janice
I'll just use u shaped nails then, are these type of nails ok for securing mesh onto the wood, will they go deep enough ?

If you use a medium sized u shape nail they will go deep enough into the wood to ensure that the mesh cannot be ripped off

I have a very well made kennel and run which is double meshed and on concrete, I have wielded mesh around the lower part of the kennel on the outside, a bolt, rim lock and padlock, also have security lights, my dogs also alert me to any animals who visit the garden, not seen foxes but I know they are in the area. Every day I check the kennel for any signs of damage. I still worry about foxes and humans getting into them.

This is my kennel and run

rabbitkennel.jpg

This is the run part

bunniesintherun.jpg

This is the kennel part

bunniesinthekennel.jpg

the hatch stays open all the time so they always have access to the whole area

This is the adapted version of this kennel

http://www.ukgardenbuildings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

I had a solid side and end put onto the run, changed the flooring of the kennel to heavy duty, blocked the gap which they have on the run, had a window added to the kennel.

:love::love::love: your setup! I want to convert my shed for the buns but then they wouldne be able to free range indoors....pro's and cons hey! I love your setup!

Back