• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe grass for rabbits

Deontal

New Kit
Hi, newcomer here after advice...

We've got two rabbits that have an outdoor grass enclosure that's 4mx5m which is getting more and covered in moss. I'm going to rake the moss rather than risk any chemicals but was wondering on what seed to put down? They devour the grass when it grows which is leaving bare patches!

Is there a kind of seed that I can put down once I've gotten rid of the moss that will grow more quickly than standard lawn grass but be food safe for them?

Thanks all.

I used to re-turf mine most years but you have to keep the Rabbits off it while it settles in. It might also turn to mud when we get a lot of rain in the winter. It isn't easy keeping a nice piece of grass for Rabbits if they go out on it every day.

You need to improve the drainage to deter the moss from growing. The easiest way is to use a digging fork and stick it in as deep as you can every few inches to make holes all over the patch, then brush garden sand or grit (not builder's sand) into the holes. Reseed if you need to. There's no magic seed that will grow faster, but I would avoid any that has been treated as the coating probably won't be rabbit friendly. Grass seed will grow fairly quickly at this time of year - it's warm enough and the ground is still damp.

You can ask your garden center what is best for your area. A hearty
grass with wider blades, like perennial rye grass may be a good choice.

Back