• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Increased food aggression

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
My rabbit Winnie has become a lot more grabby and food aggressive. She’s a rex lop and has always been extremely greedy, but over the last month it’s gone up a level.

She’s always trying to get ahead of Zigzag, but has now started boxing and growling when I give her food. Yesterday I gave her an oxbow biscuit and she grabbed my thumb instead- I have the worst bite, as she sliced my thumb open. I’m now slightly concerned about feeding her food, but only because of yesterday.

She does have underlying issues- a rare inflammatory eye issue, which is under control. She’s also under the care of the RVS; she had loads of tests and they found that she had an enlarged liver, which can make her uncomfortable. Biopsies failed to find anything, and the next option is a true cut biopsy which we’ve agreed to do if I can see she’s in pain more days of the week than not. But this isn’t the case atm.

I’m wondering if the food aggression is linked to pain. Nothing has changed in her environment.

Does anyone have experience of this? X

It could be pain induced aggression

Does Zigzag compete with her over food ? What is his hormonal behaviour like toward her now ? If he is still humping her a lot it would be understandable that she is feeling :censored: off.

Eyesight deterioration can present as aggression, especially over food.

No Zigzag isn’t competitive- she snatches all the food from his mouth!!!

He is normal now, thankfully. But I constantly worry he will go back to his mad ways!

Thanks also for letting me know about the eyesight too- it hasn’t deteriorated but she will see the ophthalmologist at some point this year.

She’s extremely moody, so perhaps it’s just part of her nature….

Check her ears too. As she’s a Lop ear issues could be a source of pain so I’d check in her canals and feel around the ear bases for any lumps

Thank you, I’ve given her a once over- and clean her ears often. You’ve reminded me to do it today!

I am not quite sure what’s going on, and I can’t use my thumb!!!

I am sorry you got a nasty bite. That seems more like she missed the target rather than an intentional attack. Sending vibes you solve the reason for her food aggression.

Back