• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Winnie again

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Winnie is coming up to 5 years old, and poor love has had multiple rare issues, including a rare eye condition, fur problems (now half resolved).

She’s under the care of the RVS, and got the works, a CT scan, ultrasound, biopsied in the liver. The liver was enlarged which is why they did the biopsies which unfortunately didn’t find anything. Whilst her white blood cells are normal, her nutraphites are higher than limpholites. (No idea how to spell that)

I feel for her because she’s had so many ailments in her short life, and was under the care of CJ Hall for some time which made her significantly worse.

Her breathing is now significantly faster- and we are going back to the RVS next week. They’re concerned too. It could be the liver pushing on the lungs.

I wake up most days wondering whether she’s had a heart attack.

My questions are- does the very fast breathing mean she’s unlikely to have GA? They mentioned a true liver biopsy before. I want to keep her as comfortable as possible, and would prefer it if she doesn’t have more invasive procedures.

Thank you

Winnie is coming up to 5 years old, and poor love has had multiple rare issues, including a rare eye condition, fur problems (now half resolved).

She’s under the care of the RVS, and got the works, a CT scan, ultrasound, biopsied in the liver. The liver was enlarged which is why they did the biopsies which unfortunately didn’t find anything. Whilst her white blood cells are normal, her nutraphites are higher than limpholites. (No idea how to spell that)

I feel for her because she’s had so many ailments in her short life, and was under the care of CJ Hall for some time which made her significantly worse.

Her breathing is now significantly faster- and we are going back to the RVS next week. They’re concerned too. It could be the liver pushing on the lungs.

I wake up most days wondering whether she’s had a heart attack.

My questions are- does the very fast breathing mean she’s unlikely to have GA? They mentioned a true liver biopsy before. I want to keep her as comfortable as possible, and would prefer it if she doesn’t have more invasive procedures.

Thank you

0db94417c3c4f0b6a3e22cc3d7f01872.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t offer any advice but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Sounds like a chest X-ray will be needed first
The RVC will have the best protocol to make any sedation necessary as safe as possible.

Oh I didn’t think of an x Ray, thank you for that. Would that scan the heart, lungs and thorax?

Poor love.

Poor Winnie, really sorry she is having problems. Sending lots of vibes for her, and hope the vets can find and treat the cause quickly xx

Poor Winnie, really sorry she is having problems. Sending lots of vibes for her, and hope the vets can find and treat the cause quickly xx

Thank you, I must admit it’s been a bit of an ongoing nightmare since she was just about to turn 2. Thankfully she enjoys her time with us and Zigzag, although she had the most disapproving face I’ve ever seen.

Thank you all and to bunny momma :)

Jo from the RVS thinks her issues are due to the maxitrol gel steroid which she’s been on for nearly 2 years. So I’m really looking forward to finding an alternative medication…

I hope there's an alternative for the Maxitrol that Winnie can try, and that that will help. Poor girl, having so many health problems. I'm sending her lots of vibes.

Thank you Reader if books and Bunny Momma, she’s been extremely unlucky in life as she’s had a number of rarer ailments. I shouldn’t use the term unlucky, as I don’t believe in luck

Back