• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Improving/enriching outside bunny homes

Schez

Mama Doe
Currently I have 3 pairs outside in 6ft coop/ hutch permenantly attached run set ups.

I am always trying to improve/build on what I have, my ideal would be to turn our shed into some kinda bunny house with a crazy runaround system for getting into different runs with different activities *dreams* :D but my husband won't consider it, even though I have offered to get another shed for all our outside storage and do up the old one for my bunny family... :roll:

So, I have to improve on what I have. I've got various ideas and plans on the burner. Any ideas on how to do it through recyclying? Any help at this satge appreciated. :wave:

1) Turning old plastic storge boxes into hidy homes - has anyone done this? How easy is it to cut through the plastic? Best tool etc?

2) The bunnies hutches are now due their wash down/deep-deep clean :lol:, so was going to do this in a break of the weather, and hopefully install old floor tiling cut offs to improve flooring and cleaning. I was also thinking of cutting up our old carpet and installing it in the bedroom part of the hutch to keep it cosy - any known health risks/alternatives? In respect to flooring, I can't find the thread that talks about sticky tiling?

3) My bunnies are sitting out in their runs when its raining so I want to invest in new covers, but thought about going for pond liner as its much tougher? Or market stall tarpaulin? Thought I could then clamp it down with tarpaulin clkamps which would then still give me access to the top door of theri run.

4) Want to invest in something for bunnies to dig in... Whats the best size/type container to use and very inrterested in using damp play sand... Worried about bunny eyes though... (over protective bunny mum much?:lol:)

5) Hanging toys - once I get the tarps on it means I can hang homemade toys to encourage stretching and metal stimulation without them getting destroyed by the rain first.

Sorry to waffle on :oops: Just my brain won't switch off until I've gotten all these thoughts out... :lol:

Reeeeeally like recycling idea, so is there anything I've missed on list that I can reuse for the bunnies? (My old bread bin has become a hayrack, and a stool for jumping on/ hiding on has already been donated. ;) )

Just a quick reply as off to bed but there have been two recent posts on bunny chat I think about underground warrens made with plastic storage boxes, and also a link to a website selling clear tarpaulins like they use on market stalls, both of which I'm thinking of doing/getting to improve my set ups.
Also, there was a recent thread about digging boxes, and I think the general consensus was that soil/compost was safer than sand as less likely to irritate eyes.
Good luck with your improvements.

Market stall tarps are handy because they have the eyelets in but you can also use polytunnel sheeting and add you own or fix in another way.

I personally wouldn't put carpet in the hutch, it's chewable and a pain to clean, stick with the lino.

What the run floor? One option is to dig a hole, line it with mesh and fill it back it - sunken digging box :)

Market stall tarps are handy because they have the eyelets in but you can also use polytunnel sheeting and add you own or fix in another way.

I personally wouldn't put carpet in the hutch, it's chewable and a pain to clean, stick with the lino.

What the run floor? One option is to dig a hole, line it with mesh and fill it back it - sunken digging box :)

Thank you :D The run floor is gravel, so I've dug away the top part, put mesh down and then covered it back up as my bunnies were hudinis in the making... In fact, I think it was when I was a newbie on the forum and you helped me with that too.. :shock::oops: :D

I think the sunken digging box is a brilliant idea - the mesh is in sections so I could take one section and make it deeper... If that makes sense?! :thumb:

I did second guess myself on the carpet, it was just the thought that they never do their business in there etc and for the warmth... but yes... chewing... :shock: :lol:

Really appreciate the feedback. :D

Just a quick reply as off to bed but there have been two recent posts on bunny chat I think about underground warrens made with plastic storage boxes, and also a link to a website selling clear tarpaulins like they use on market stalls, both of which I'm thinking of doing/getting to improve my set ups.
Also, there was a recent thread about digging boxes, and I think the general consensus was that soil/compost was safer than sand as less likely to irritate eyes.
Good luck with your improvements.

:wave: Thank you... Just had so much swimming around the ol' noggin that I couldn't find what it was I was looking for. :lol: I'll look more thoroughly now I've got some direction. :thumb:

Back