• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Important Information Re: RVHD2-Please Read

An update from a RWAF First Alert Email :

RVHD2 update

We are investigating several options to obtain a Special Import Licence (SIC) to enable the import of further stocks of vaccine. As soon as there is news we will let everybody know. More than one vaccine is available from different European countries.

Unfortunately we continue to receive reports of rabbits succumbing to RVHD, including vaccinated rabbits. In the absence in some cases of full Post Mortems, we must assume that those are cases of RVHD2. We heard most recently of confirmed cases of RVHD2 in Leeds and Bristol, and we are trying to build our own list of CONFIRMED cases of RVHD 1 and RVHD 2 in rabbits that are vaccinated and those not vaccinated. Any that are reported to us we are in turn reporting to this website https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zXtYDUn_yIpI.k-932Y6LBEHw so please keep a watch on that for updates. RVHD is shown by red markers and Myxi by black. If you click a marker you will see more details. If you have any reports please let us know and also the map administrator who can be found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/?ref=bookmarks

Please do update on that map, it's a very useful thing to keep going back to for updates. It includes data from last year and this year.

Thanks for forwarding the First Alert message. We hope to have news of progress soon

We heard most recently of confirmed cases of RVHD2 in Leeds and Bristol,

Does the new strain have any symptoms or is it similar to the other in that sudden death is often occurring? This morning I lost my 5th rabbit in 2 weeks. The others either old or had other health issues, however Acorn was young and healthy and did not live in close proximity to the others. All five died without warning. I am terrified. My vets are currently doing a PM on Acorn with possibility of forwarding to Langford if needed. I have 8 other rabbits. If its VHD2 am I going to lose them all? I am terrified.

Does the new strain have any symptoms or is it similar to the other in that sudden death is often occurring? This morning I lost my 5th rabbit in 2 weeks. The others either old or had other health issues, however Acorn was young and healthy and did not live in close proximity to the others. All five died without warning. I am terrified. My vets are currently doing a PM on Acorn with possibility of forwarding to Langford if needed. I have 8 other rabbits. If its VHD2 am I going to lose them all? I am terrified.

I'm so sorry for your losses, no wonder you are terrified. The attached link is a good source of information including re symptoms etc. The new strain doesn't have the same high mortality rates, but obviously still extremely worrying for you.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

I sincerely hope you don't have any more losses.

Last edited:

I am so very sorry :cry: I really hope it isn't RVHD2 xx

Symptoms are the same as for the original strain, which means there are few symptoms bleeding is uncommon generally rabbits simply look a little unwell with no visible obvious signs of why they have died. It's can only be diagnosed on post mortem examination and samples have to be sent to labs to differentiate between the old and new strains. There may be a few days more of illness before death with the new strain. Infection can also survive in the environment for longer making it a much more dangerous infection. It's believed that most cases of RVHD1 and RVHD2 are never diagnosed because as the lack of visible symptoms and owners believe pets have died from heart attack, stroke or something similar. Few owners opt for postmortem

This morning I lost my 5th rabbit in 2 weeks. The others either old or had other health issues, however Acorn was young and healthy and did not live in close proximity to the others. All five died without warning. I am terrified. My vets are currently doing a PM on Acorn with possibility of forwarding to Langford if needed. I have 8 other rabbits. If its VHD2 am I going to lose them all? I am terrified.

Amy I'm so sorry that you have lost all these rabbits. It does sound suspiciously like VHD. The link that Bunny Buddy posted says where samples should be sent for analysis, which is in Edinburgh.

You must be heart broken with all these losses and truly terrified

Few owners opt for postmortem

I can understand that. Its not something I am relishing doing, I just want him at peace. But if there is the tiniest chance it is not RVHD2 and I can save the others I need to try.

I also lost 2 to sudden deaths before Christmas, so the more I think about everything, the more suspicious I am.

Devastated doesn't even begin to cover it.

Amy I'm so sorry to hear of you bunny losses & related health concerns. I just wanted to acknowledge that really & send my best wishes

Thank you. I am still waiting on the lab results. My vet said the liver appeared normal to look at but has submitted samples for testing. One lung had a lot of legions and there was a lot of fluid in the respitory tract. The gut also had some white patches but Langford advised that is not uncommon in a rabbit of that age. However samples of both the lung and gut have also been sent to the lab along with other samples they requested. Hopefully we will hear today and this will be something we can treat the rest for.

I have contacted several Exotics Vet Surgeries/ Rabbit Savvy Vet Surgeries enquiring about the availability of the Cunivac. They all say the same thing, they have placed an order but the company can give no estimate as to when the vaccine will be available again :cry:

Not sure what to think now :?

Anyone else got any news about it ?

Nope, I was told most likely several months. which makes sense as the manufacturer has to replenish their normal stock as well as producing enough for an entire new national market (and presumably doing a business assessment on their ability to keep up with projected long-term demand). It took nearly 4 months to get myxo-rhd back on the shelves after their manufacturing issue so I'm not holding my breath unless an alternative SIC for a different product is forthcoming at any point.

Nope, I was told most likely several months. which makes sense as the manufacturer has to replenish their normal stock as well as producing enough for an entire new national market (and presumably doing a business assessment on their ability to keep up with projected long-term demand). It took nearly 4 months to get myxo-rhd back on the shelves after their manufacturing issue so I'm not holding my breath unless an alternative SIC for a different product is forthcoming at any point.

That's what I thought :cry:

That's what I thought :cry:

I'm now running low on forage which has all been quarantined for a period of time in my airing cupboard before use as it is. I want to start picking more now it's spring but won't risk it (at ground level). :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back