• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Important Information Re: RVHD2-Please Read

RWAF have put out an update about vaccine also. This is direct from the facebook page:

"We are pleased to announce that after long discussions with Filavie, a vaccine manufacturer in France, and NVS, a Veterinary Wholesalers in the UK, we will very shortly have, for sale in the UK, a vaccine against RHD2. This also covers RHD1. The full order should be in stock from Mid June, with relatively small amounts available before then. Please ask your vet to contact NVS to discuss exact anticipated stock arrival dates and to assist them with some idea of expected demand.
You still need to vaccinate your rabbits with Nobivac as previously, please discuss this with your vet.
We are enormously grateful to our wonderful Vet Dr Richard Saunders for doing the necessary research and negotiation with the manufactuer, then arranging the necessary import paperwork , and then liasing with NVS in order for them to be able to supply it. On behalf of Bunnies everywhere we thank you Richard!"

You lucky ducks! I fear we won't have a vaccine against RVHD2 here in Australia. :(

Last edited:
Oops. I see that has been posted in Health sub-forum also. Oh well, good to get word out in as many places as possible.

Ingredients include (I think this is an exhaustive list):

Active ingredient (not going to bother translating that)
Thiomersal (sodium 2-ethylmercuriothio-benzoate)
Aluminium hydroxide (as 3% suspension, aqueous)
Eagle MEM (no idea, but there's a formulation here: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/Formulation/m4655for.pdf)
Formaldehyde
Glycin (aminoacetic acid) buffer
Am I the only one who doesn't want to inject my rabbits with Thiomersal, aluminium, and formaldehyde?

On paper I think it looks scary, but no, that doesn't bother me. We are talking about such tiny, tiny amounts and in my opinion the benefits significantly outweigh the risks. If any of those things weren't safe in this context, they wouldn't be there and the product wouldn't be on the market...and the fact that they're in there means that they're a necessary part of the vaccine, otherwise they wouldn't be there!

The risk of a rabbit contracting RHD2 is far, far higher than the risk of injecting them with very small amounts of substances that we may prefer not to if we lived in a perfect, sterile world. Our own bodies produce formaldehyde as part of our digestion - it's only high level acute exposure or long term consistent exposure which ar e problematic. Cyanide naturally occurs in spinach, and yet I bet it would never occur to most of us not to feed spinach for that reason. It's easy to make it sound very emotive when it's really not an issue in my opinion :)

Last edited:
The girls had their vaccine this morning. I'll keep posted on any side effects but fingers crossed we'll see none

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back