• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm being harassed by a fox u/d fox in garden at 10:30 today

I would go for the electric fence because when they are starving they will put up with any sort of noise if they have to.

Thank you, I'm doing both noise thing and fence, the gentleman from the fence place is doing me some money off because we're a rescue so that is good too. He's mapping out my area and and putting together everything we will need, so by next weekend we will be as secure as can be really.

I stopped out overnight got home at 10:30 and the foxwas in my garden again, he is getting desperate Eeek, either that or he has moved in :lol:

I never ever ever let rupert and tia out of my sight, and I always stay really near them (I mean literally when they're out I do not take my eyes off them - I don't just let them out then go do something, for three hours a night, they have my undivided attention). Even if I have them out the shed, and i need a wee, and my husband isn't home, i fully lock them in their shed to go have a wee (or i lock them in the house).

Genuine question - imagine they are both out in the garden free ranging supervised and a fox comes along...Rupert runs one way, Tia runs the other, or both freeze with fear in different places. Which one are you going to get safe from the fox first? Or are you going to leave the rabbits and concentrate on chasing the fox, hoping that you can chase it away for long enough to then get the rabbits safe. I just don't see how it's possible to guarantee their safety in that scenario where there is more than one rabbit, as it's a simple fact that you can't be in two places at once.

I've just put metal clasped on all the run doors (well Andy has :lol:) so there are the wooden blocks and an actual clasp securing the front. We have done more roof reinforcement too, I don't think physically I can do anymore. Electric fence will go up next weekend.

yes - or buy them direct.

http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/foxwatch-fox-deterrent-keep-foxes-away-garden-stop-repellent

I buy mine direct and if they develop a fault (the switches sometimes do if frozen) or the lens needs replacing etc they do it for free if you send them back. Its excellent service. And they do cheap excellent quality batteries as well. Really good price for recommended battery.

That's the one I have. Let us know if it works on your fox Tree :wave:

Genuine question - imagine they are both out in the garden free ranging supervised and a fox comes along...Rupert runs one way, Tia runs the other, or both freeze with fear in different places. Which one are you going to get safe from the fox first? Or are you going to leave the rabbits and concentrate on chasing the fox, hoping that you can chase it away for long enough to then get the rabbits safe. I just don't see how it's possible to guarantee their safety in that scenario where there is more than one rabbit, as it's a simple fact that you can't be in two places at once.

To be honest, it wouldn't happen, but if it did happen, the fox comes in the bottom - we have a two (actually three) tiered garden - the lawn is raised about 10 (maybe more) ft from the ground level, which is decking - then from the deckin the garden has a steep slope (of at least 10ft) down to a stream.... there are wooden steps from the decking to the top level (around a well pond). The patio is to the side of the lawn (in front of pond) from the patio doors, which lead into dining room / sitting room.

Rupert and Tia have the lawn area, and the side of the house where their shed is... I don't allow them to be round the side of the house if the lawn is 'open' (its not open all the time as its been muddy, and they're not allowed on the lawn in summer when its just been cut).

The reason they're not allowed round the side is incase a fox (or more likely next doors cat!) comes.... The fox has never been seen round the front, only ever the back. we would hear it before seeing it, if we didn't hear it first, rupert would, and rupert ALWAYS runs to me, whatever scares him, he runs to me. tia doesn't run she never runs, and when she does, she follows rupert.

TBH if im home alone, i don't let them in the garden, unless its only on the patio, and i close the fence off round the patio so they're close. the only time they're allowed to properly free range on the whole lawn is when the weather is nice, and we're both out.

Whats the alternative for rupert and tia exactly??! They live in their shed, shut in, all day and all night!? im not prepared to do that. I won't give them a run BECAUSE I know we have foxes, and where the shed is, is poured concrete, so i couldn't fix it to the ground (its a rented house and we've already used their shed!) and i would never ever risk leaving them with the risk of a fox lifting the run up (I won't ever move their shed becasue it is sheltered where it is and i can see in from the window on the stairs).

I am confident that my rabbits have the absolute safety they need.

The OP has already said she's ordered a fence and sonic thingy. I cannot have a sonic thingy because at the back of our house is a nature reserve / dog walking area.

The only danger that has ever been an issue for ME and MY rabbits is next doors cat (but its dead now) and a magpie - yes, a magpie, which landed by the side of the house and tried to peck rupert!

Also, the mesh door on our shed has got three padlocks, this is because I KNOW foxes can open anything (they're not stupid, theyre really clever) like latches etc.

I KNOW that foxes get bored of trying to get in somewhere if they fail - as I already said, my shed has scratches on the door from the first couple of nights we got rupert and tia - the fox has never been back since.

Last edited:
I might end up annoying my neighbours dogs with the sonic thing :shock:,

Can you angle it away from the garden that has the dog but still cover the area the fox is getting in? It should only make the noise when something sets it off, so it won't be a continuous noise to the dog.

I'll have go :thumb:, there are dogs either side and behind, useless dogs they should be stopping the fox :lol:

I started a thread about my french lop banging because of the fox that comes in, he doesnt just bang i honestly dont know how he makes that volume of noise lol, the girls bang but at a good quarter of his volume!!!!! And he was starting to cause a problem with the neighbours, which i can kind of understand but i have a shed arriving after crimbo and will put rubber matting under the floor covering so hopefully prob will be solved and both my neighbours have apperared to have both switched to nights which i hope is coincidence and nothing to do with me :lol: but theirs no 1 next door to wake up at 3am so im not to stressed about the noise now! They are covered but i think they can smell or here foxy still.

Anyway i was woundering about the fox watch thing and dogs? would it bother the dog if she was in the house and i just put the fox watch on at night he/she usually vistits bettween 11pm - 3am so i dont need it in the day time. I know 2 buns will be in the shed soon, but my other 2 will still be out in their hutch i got my partner to build their home at waist height with storage at bottom so he cant get in or reach them but he will still prob upset them by sniffing round or could start after the guineas instead.

I dont know if he comes to try get the rabbits or what theirs no damage to hutches (which are bolted up securley) ie scratches chew marks, he just comes in sniffes round sprays the green hutch my french lop & his mrs home and poops out side the girls hutch nearly every night YUCK!!! But ive never seen him or seen any eveidance of him bothering with the coop of 5 guineas which is odd!

I started a thread about my french lop banging because of the fox that comes in, he doesnt just bang i honestly dont know how he makes that volume of noise lol, the girls bang but at a good quarter of his volume!!!!! And he was starting to cause a problem with the neighbours, which i can kind of understand but i have a shed arriving after crimbo and will put rubber matting under the floor covering so hopefully prob will be solved and both my neighbours have apperared to have both switched to nights which i hope is coincidence and nothing to do with me :lol: but theirs no 1 next door to wake up at 3am so im not to stressed about the noise now! They are covered but i think they can smell or here foxy still.

Anyway i was woundering about the fox watch thing and dogs? would it bother the dog if she was in the house and i just put the fox watch on at night he/she usually vistits bettween 11pm - 3am so i dont need it in the day time. I know 2 buns will be in the shed soon, but my other 2 will still be out in their hutch i got my partner to build their home at waist height with storage at bottom so he cant get in or reach them but he will still prob upset them by sniffing round or could start after the guineas instead.

I dont know if he comes to try get the rabbits or what theirs no damage to hutches (which are bolted up securley) ie scratches chew marks, he just comes in sniffes round sprays the green hutch my french lop & his mrs home and poops out side the girls hutch nearly every night YUCK!!! But ive never seen him or seen any eveidance of him bothering with the coop of 5 guineas which is odd!

gosh - your rabbits must be petrified with all that smell of fox around! Can you try and exclude him from the area close to your hutch and run? Foxwatches are good - or watch out on ebay for a cheap walk in aviary run and put the hutches inside that.

Back