• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm being harassed by a fox u/d fox in garden at 10:30 today

The idea of the electric fence is that foxes prowl around an area sniffing at the ground and looking for a way to tunnel under something to get t. The fence gives them a jolt when their nose touches it and they are warned off. It is not 100% and tou have to watch for highpoints nearby (sheds etc) they could jump straight off of. However a fox that will plan to leap clear over an electric fence without exploring it and getting zapped first is a very very unusual one. Free range hen keepers use these fences to keep entire flocks safe.

I'm well aware of how an electric fence works, as I used to work in a country store, selling them, and we had to do training on them, and foxes can get round them (as several of the farmers found out and lost animals because it was the only pretection they used). One or two buzzes from the fence and they run off.... but they learn not to do it again.

The adults make noises to attract a mate, to declare territory etc.

My neighbour fed a fox for two years - it started going into his house if he was late, one day he went on holiday so it went into the next doors house (summer evening open door), then it brought its young foxes - then people started to loose hens.

Foxes and small prey animals DO NOT mix.

I know, I said that in a previous post.

Proper fox watches do NOT hurt rabbits ears - only the cheap end of 'pest scarers' are designed in a frequency that hurts rabbits ears. I have 30 rabbits running amongst 7 foxwatches - not one finds the noise difficult (or seems to even hear it).

PS I am NOT picking on you by the way though it must seem like it - but for the sake of SOADS buns I have to give the information and experience I have.

Same. I have two rabbits, who free range half the garden (when im there to sit with them - which in the summer is at least 3 hours per night and pretty much all weekend) and know we have foxes, especially day time visiting foxes, as well as i worked in a country store, we had to advise people on foxes and other 'pests' and tbh, the only thing that will fully stop foxes is to kill them (there are people you can call) but i'm sure none of actually want to do that :(

Those expensive fox deterrants will work, but if a fox is determined, it will get past it. I believe (they ones the store sold anyway) irritate the hell out of dogs too :(

We can't have anything like that as there's a nature reserve area at the back of our house, with dog walking area.

I will put up a superfied electric fence to stop next doors cat tho :lol: cos its seriously :censored: me off :lol: not as much as their other one that died tho (no i didn't have anythign to do with its death, even tho the neighbour seems to think i did :lol: )

id be devastated if the foxes ever got my rabbits (my rabbits are literally my life) but if they did manage to get them, it'd be my fault :( they soon get bored if they can't get access to them, and move on.

Last edited:
They will find a place to make a nest. They will come back to your garden for food. One day you will make a mistake and they will eat your rabbits.

I won't make a mistake. We don't feed them anymore, I said already, once we got the rabbits we stopped (well actually we stopped once we realised we had so many squirrels). They still come in the garden, they were there long before we were. We have a stream and nature reserve at the bottom of the garden.... of course they're going to be there.

Foxes are actually really lazy, they can't be bothered to make a home from scratch, which is why they steal badger burrows, or use sheds / under shed or under decking to make their homes. Its quite rare for a fox to dig its own burrow, they just can't be bthered to do it.

I never ever ever let rupert and tia out of my sight, and I always stay really near them (I mean literally when they're out I do not take my eyes off them - I don't just let them out then go do something, for three hours a night, they have my undivided attention). Even if I have them out the shed, and i need a wee, and my husband isn't home, i fully lock them in their shed to go have a wee (or i lock them in the house).

ETA: the reason i never take my eyes off them is, that the one time i did (well i went in kitchen to do dishes and left them on the corner of the house) next door's cat jumped over their fence and was trying to get them, since that day i never ever take my eyes off them and dont let them more than arms length away from me!

Last edited:
Just looked at your set up - that pretty secure.

Only thing I would add are some foxwatches (Concept research battery run) and think of running electric 'bungee' wire around all the aviaries (on the outside) about 3 inches above the ground - and then criss crossed across any routeways. Use either mains or caravan battery.

This is not the same as an electric fence but is a deterrent to fox sniffing round. It is a lot cheaper.

Try electric fence online website - we get all ours from them. If you speak to them direct they may remember us.

Which ones are the foxwatches?

Hey guys lets all be nice to each other :love:

Rupert & Tia wont make a mistake but I probably will :shock: so is that fencing ok, or should I just order a couple of fox watches or what should I do?

Hey guys lets all be nice to each other :love:

Rupert & Tia wont make a mistake but I probably will :shock: so is that fencing ok, or should I just order a couple of fox watches or what should I do?

Thank you, cos I definitely won't make a mistake. No one understands that when I say they're my life, I actually mean it... without those two little rabbits, I'd not have made it thru the last 2 years, simple as, so I'm not going to make a mistake that will mean I lose them :lol:

I'd order the fox watch - just been speaking to RWAF and they really think they're good, and as its the cheapest option, I'd go with that first.

With electric fencing, you can get like a meshed fence rather than wire (if that makes sense - im on here on the sly at work so cant get links lol) x

yes - or buy them direct.

http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/foxwatch-fox-deterrent-keep-foxes-away-garden-stop-repellent

I buy mine direct and if they develop a fault (the switches sometimes do if frozen) or the lens needs replacing etc they do it for free if you send them back. Its excellent service. And they do cheap excellent quality batteries as well. Really good price for recommended battery.

Thank you loads, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4abe77353e is something like this ok or not? I just need something along the hedge at the back as that is where he's getting in?

yes thats ideal - give them a ring and make sure you have all the fitments etc you need - and put the wire along the line they get in. OR put it round the aviaries by using the screw in plastic wire holders they sell.

We also have a full on electric poultry fence for the hens but thats not suited to garden use in that situation.

PS Ensure you TURN OFF the fence if the rabbits are out and about and can get to it!!!!- we take ours up every day if we let rabbits out otherwise they nibble it. But we only let out when watched. Rest of time they are in the aviaries.

Right ok, I think I will go for that fence (after calling them) and one foxwatch hopefully that will help sort it. The fence will go behind the runs as that is where the fox gets in and hopefully it will keep him out and if I put the fox watch there too it might just keep my garden free.

Thank you :D

Apparently the smaller the animal the MORE voltage is needed to kill. My dad's an electrician :p Apparently they have to be very careful with larger animals like cattle.

Apparently the smaller the animal the MORE voltage is needed to kill. My dad's an electrician :p Apparently they have to be very careful with larger animals like cattle.

Yeh i reemeber something liek that from the training, the teacher man had a video of a fox licking the fence repeatedly lol it was quite funny (there was a video of a goat who did it too) :lol:

Licking a fence :shock:

I've ordered a foxyduffer watch thing, but I'm waiting for the man to call me about the electric fence to see what he says before I order that :D

Back