• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think you've converted me!

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
I posted only a week or 2 ago, about getting a new cage for my bunny. I was really anti dog crates because he is a messy soul, but having spent literally hours checking out the size of each cage ( I even drew up a table so I could easily compare them all) I have decided a dog crate would be a much cheaper and better option for my bunnies happiness! (I also spent a lot of time reading dozens and dozens of posts about dog crates and even about the NIC/storage cube cages)!

I figured, he is only a messy bun, because of how have kept him in the past (he used to be a hutch bunny) and how I line his cage and feed him.

I think that if I can work out the best way to give him his hay (without it ending up all over the room) the fact that the dog crate doesn't have a deep tray shouldn't be a big problem.

I also need to work on litter training him (at least he doesn't normally do his business outside his cage) and work out what to put on the base of the dog cage.

Anyway this post is really just a thank you to everyone, and to the newbies, just to say don't be afraid to start by asking "stupid" questions, use it as an opportunity to spend time researching till you are really happy and have found a solution that suits you and your bun! (it's amazing how much difference just a week or 2 makes, I'm so glad I'm not one for rushing into making decisions).

ramble over!!! :D :D :D

I have recently started using deep storage tubs instead of cat litter trays. The rabbits seem to like jumping into them to eat their hay and also use them for their messy business. They contain the mess much more effectively. They don't cost any more than a litter tray anyway. Or you can use the covered cat toilets. These have nice deep trays and you can remove the lids when it is hot like this. They do cost a bit more though. £12 for the Bill's ones I have. They are good for moving rabbits out to runs too as you can hold the opening against you.

Dog crates are the only way to go for an indoor cage imo. The only other satisfactory option is to give over a whole room. I wouldn't go for smaller than a 48" one either. When you can buy one for £40 including shipping from ebay I think it is daft to pay more for the smaller cages that can only offer the rabbit a sad depressing life. When the rescue rabbits come in and are put into one of the dog crates they dance around and do binkies, they really appreciate the head height as well as the wide space. I don't keep any of the animals here in anything smaller. Guinea pigs love them too, and you can put a group of guineas on a shelf up over the rabbits still leaving the rabbits plenty of head room.

Hi,
Just one bit of advice though, use the crate upside down and then your bunny doesn't have to jump to get in (i'm sure someones bun on here hurt themselves jumping into their crate) since i've turned over Twixy's crate it is much more easier for him.

twixy's mum said:
Hi,
Just one bit of advice though, use the crate upside down and then your bunny doesn't have to jump to get in (i'm sure someones bun on here hurt themselves jumping into their crate) since i've turned over Twixy's crate it is much more easier for him.

I've read a couple of people say that, but if you turn the crate over you cant slide out the metal tray and the doors would open left handed! Also from checking out the pics of the crate the "step" at the top (if turned over) would be just as big as the one at the bottom. My bun is a dutch so not too small, and if he cant get in/out of the crate I'd be concerned he couldn't use a litter tray either.

To whoever's pet got injured though, I sure hope they were OK.

If you have a raised edge, cover the raised edge at the entrance with some cardboard so that the bun cannot get their foot caught in the wire.

twixy's mum said:
Hi,

Yep, all my crates are turned upside down too! Makes it safer. Vera

I've only been registered on this forum for a week - but have been an avid reader since getting our 2 bunnies in January. Before getting them, like you, I did loads of research (looked at the cubes too) and decided on a 48" dog crate. Bob (dwarf lop) and Izzy (nethie) love it! They actually have their litter trays outside the crate, :roll: but they definitely know it's their space to run to if they're freaked for some reason or just fancy flaking out under the water bottle! We've put a plywood shelf not quite the size of the crate, on some batons across the bars and watching Bob run into the crate, jump, push off round the sides and land on the top shelf is really something to behold! :D Izzy is far too dignified to get involved in such behaviour and just does a dainty jump! 8)
Helen x

PS - still trying to work out how to get pics of the terrible twosome on my signature and whaaaat is an avatar...?!!!

You are right kitschkitty you wouldn't be able to get the tray out but I don't get the tray out to clean it anyway (I almost climb in on all fours to clean it), as for the door thing although that might cause a problem for some people it suits me better (the door now opens towards the wall). As for Twixy getting in, well before he had to jump in (and it was not gracefull believe me) and now he can actually just walk in. I use the door on the smaller end rather than the one on the larger side though.

Hiya,

For keeping in the hay, try cable tying clear perspex strips (4-6' high) around the base. It's not really wee proof as there is a little gap between the tray/strips but certainly cuts down the mess :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
Hiya,

For keeping in the hay, try cable tying clear perspex strips (4-6' high) around the base. It's not really wee proof as there is a little gap between the tray/strips but certainly cuts down the mess :D

Tam

Thats what I do with my CC cages as they also dont come with a base and sides :D It works wonderfully!! There is still a bit of mess that falls through the bottom a bit, but over all it works well :D

Leah xx

Back