• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I've just adopted a skunk!!

When you mentioned the possibility of calling him Grey I for some reason thought of Greystoke (Tarzan) but I don't know if that would suit him. Maybe if he's a jumping bunny and spends a lot of time in the air. ;)
Pepe Le Pew would be cute. :lol: Especially if he is a "romantic" bunny even after the plum fairy visits.

Mimzy used to be a bit of a sprayer pre-neuter but since becoming older and a bit incontinent I think it is unintentional that he gets me as I lift him from his habitat into his "waiting room" for pen cleanings. (Then again that could just be my wishful thinking. :roll:)

Looking forward to pix as he sounds an absolute delight! :love: I adore harlequins too and wish I could've had one during my time as bunny mum. :)

When you mentioned the possibility of calling him Grey I for some reason thought of Greystoke (Tarzan) but I don't know if that would suit him. Maybe if he's a jumping bunny and spends a lot of time in the air. ;)
Pepe Le Pew would be cute. :lol: Especially if he is a "romantic" bunny even after the plum fairy visits.

Mimzy used to be a bit of a sprayer pre-neuter but since becoming older and a bit incontinent I think it is unintentional that he gets me as I lift him from his habitat into his "waiting room" for pen cleanings. (Then again that could just be my wishful thinking. :roll:)

Looking forward to pix as he sounds an absolute delight! :love: I adore harlequins too and wish I could've had one during my time as bunny mum. :)

Thanks. I can't resist harlequins, he's my sixth (two at the bridge). He's actually in memory of Little Dot who I lost at only 7 months old, 10 weeks after I adopted her :cry: I lost her on 8 October 2010 and have been keeping an eye open for a magpie harle ever since. His markings are nowhere near as pretty as hers, she was just very delicately marbled, he is more bold stripes and not as gracefully spread out, but he still has the half black/half white face that's so typical. I think he will be difficult to photograph, maybe with his head in a dish of pellets, he's not keeping still otherwise :lol:

Aww..he sounds lovely :love:

I'm sorry you had lost your Little Dot so quickly after bringing her home. :( Since this one has appeared in October, perhaps she sent him to you. ;)
He sounds like he's got lots of energy! :shock: I hope you've got strong toes, he will probably be keeping you on them! :D

I'm sorry but I must demand pics. Go in wearing a face mask and goggles. :lol: My old bun (when I was a kid) used to flick his feet and spray pee at me when I was trying to round him up to put him away. :roll: He also stunk of "entire buck"...a very unusual, musky smell. :?

I like the name Skunk :oops::lol: I'll be so disappointed if you don't call him that :wave:

I'm so glad I've not had a sprayer, I don't fancy drinking bunny pee!

I'm sorry but I must demand pics. Go in wearing a face mask and goggles. :lol: My old bun (when I was a kid) used to flick his feet and spray pee at me when I was trying to round him up to put him away. :roll: He also stunk of "entire buck"...a very unusual, musky smell. :?

I will see what I can do tomorrow. I will have to do a full clean out so will get the waterproofs and camera at the ready.

I like the name Skunk :oops::lol: I'll be so disappointed if you don't call him that :wave:

I'm so glad I've not had a sprayer, I don't fancy drinking bunny pee!

I'm just really glad I've got some suitable outdoor accommodation for him, I'd be mortified if he lived indoors.

It would certainly get him remembered at the vets if I call him Skunk :lol:

Just chucking my tuppence in re: his name, but what about Pepe, as in Le Pew the cartoon skunk?!

Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun with him at least :)

First name I thought of was Pepe. Just had to check if someone beat me to it. Maybe he won't smell after his neuter.

we have a bun called Gooseberry - as he was bright yellow (as ripe gooseberries used to be) when we got him from rescue - due to being comprehensively sprayed by his also unneutered brother! he is actually a Blue Eye White now . . .but the name Goosberry stuck

we have a bun called Gooseberry - as he was bright yellow (as ripe gooseberries used to be) when we got him from rescue - due to being comprehensively sprayed by his also unneutered brother! he is actually a Blue Eye White now . . .but the name Goosberry stuck

Perhaps I should go with a more subtle reason for how he got his name... as above... maybe Van Gogh, given his artistry of his hutch:? I could go for Vincent, seeing as I've already got a Theo .....

I've been badly attacked by him today :cry::cry:

I was just refreshing his hay when he came rushing from the 'open' bit of the hutch and latched onto the skin between my knuckled and hung on - I had 1.7kg of rabbit hanging off the skin when I tried to take my hand out. It felt like about 20 - 30 seconds before I managed to get him to let go, I had my hand in the air with him hanging on and he just wouldn't give up. I had this huge deep wound :cry: I went to my GP practice (didn't know if it would need stitching), they dressed it for me, gave me a tetanus jab and antibiotics. I was just giving everybody hay before going to work so have only just got back in... The hand was re-dressed at work because stupidly I wore a latex glove to 'protect' the first dressing and it got soaked in sweat and needed to come off.

I was blubbing and shaking whilst waiting for the nurse to assess it. I have been wondering how to handle it all afternoon and wondering if I can cope with him:( I've been dreading feeding him tonight. Luckily he was on the downstairs of his hutch when I fed, so I managed to put the kale and pellets in safely. I would like to give him a heat pad later so hopefully if I can time it right I don't have to risk injury.

I felt much more peaceful watching him eat his kale, I felt committed to him :love: Not sure what it will take to 'mend' him but he will get what it takes... it's not his fault.

Ouch :( sounds really painful. I'm pleased you still feel peaceful towards him, your right it's not his fault. He sounds like a big hormone filled monkey right now.

Hope you heal quickly :)

Ouchie! I sympathise completely, that's just like my Slipper! Only tips I have is try to distract him from a safe distance with one hand whilst feeding with another, scatter feeding & most importantly of all, make sure the food is always between you & the teeth end!

I've been badly attacked by him today :cry::cry:

I was just refreshing his hay when he came rushing from the 'open' bit of the hutch and latched onto the skin between my knuckled and hung on - I had 1.7kg of rabbit hanging off the skin when I tried to take my hand out. It felt like about 20 - 30 seconds before I managed to get him to let go, I had my hand in the air with him hanging on and he just wouldn't give up. I had this huge deep wound :cry: I went to my GP practice (didn't know if it would need stitching), they dressed it for me, gave me a tetanus jab and antibiotics. I was just giving everybody hay before going to work so have only just got back in... The hand was re-dressed at work because stupidly I wore a latex glove to 'protect' the first dressing and it got soaked in sweat and needed to come off.

I was blubbing and shaking whilst waiting for the nurse to assess it. I have been wondering how to handle it all afternoon and wondering if I can cope with him:( I've been dreading feeding him tonight. Luckily he was on the downstairs of his hutch when I fed, so I managed to put the kale and pellets in safely. I would like to give him a heat pad later so hopefully if I can time it right I don't have to risk injury.

I felt much more peaceful watching him eat his kale, I felt committed to him :love: Not sure what it will take to 'mend' him but he will get what it takes... it's not his fault.

Hmmmmm if he hasn't already and is old enough, it sounds like a visit to the Plum Fairy might be in order.

It isn't nice being attacked like this but don't be put off. My old bun (before I knew anything about rabbits) was not neutered and he was insanely aggressive about his hutch and run...especially his food bowl. He took a great dislike to my Dad and would charge out and latch onto his hand, my Dad would have to try to pry him off and there'd be blood everywhere. This was quite a while ago and neutering wasn't really a routine procedure but when I got him he hadn't really been handled much as his previous owner was highly allergic. After a few months, though, he settled in and stopped lunging and attacking people and actually turned into quite a nice bun!

I think neutering will certainly calm him down but also just letting him settle in and calm down. Be aware that feeding in a bowl might be making things worse. A lot of buns become extremely protective and aggressive about their bowl. Can you not feed him in his run rather than his hutch and maybe scatter feed instead? This would help with any territorial aggression he has in his hutch. Even Fiver (who is neutered) gets extremely upset when I stick my hand near his litter tray and will box or bite me. :lol:

RIP Little Skunk. Nearly eight years of being wary in case you bit me again. I never completely trusted you but I do think we had a kind of rapport.

Thank you for being such a good companion to Eliza, it wasn't important that we bonded, just as long as you looked after my special girl, which you did so well. I guess you missed her as much as I did as you left 57 days after she did.

Back