• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boredom breakers for blind buns

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I have two buns, Lilac and Rupert. I always used to give them boredom breakers with their food in when I was out all day. Rupert has gone pretty much completely blind, he has cataracts in both eyes now, but has adjusted well and the vet is happy with him generally. I was wondering whether people would bother giving boredom breakers to a blind bun? I've noticed that Lilac can push him out of the way so am unsure if he's getting his fair share. He's lost about 20g of weight recently which isn't massive but it got me thinking whether I've inadvertently created a situation where he doesn't get his fair share.

Neither of my buns are particularly playful other than when food is involved. They don't have toys because they don't play with them, although Rupert does like cardboard boxes so they have a couple of those and some tunnels. Because they're not playful I always liked to give them some enrichment but just wanted to get other peoples thoughts. I can feed them separately when I'm home all day to ensure Rupert definitely gets his fair share but when I'm at work it's a bit trickier, I like to leave them with food as I'm headed out the door, but wondered if I should change this routine and feed them while I'm still home.

I would put some stronger smelling herbs in different places, in boxes, tubes, hung up, etc. The smell should guide the blind bunnies. If there are several, then Lilac can't nab them all at once, either

I would put some stronger smelling herbs in different places, in boxes, tubes, hung up, etc. The smell should guide the blind bunnies. If there are several, then Lilac can't nab them all at once, either

Ah that's a good idea, will have to try that. Lilac has always been such a greedy little thing so it's difficult to deceive her for too long :lol:

I will of course also do some secret feeding of Rupert when I'm home but just want to make sure he gets his fair share when I'm not!

Haha my understanding of them is basically things to hide food in! Other people might have different names for it I'm not sure!

Ha ha - right, I'm with you:lol:

I don't know how Eddy isn't really fat ..he eats so much quicker than Boo & has all his senses to help him track down food. Like Shimmer said I try to put things down that include something smelly (here its rosemary, thyme, basil & lemon balm) in with piles of forage I leave lying about. I still use their stacking cups, forage book & treat ball but these are actively placed in front of boo. Same with significant meals. I do scatter leaves & twigs so imagine Eddy has lions share of those, same with stuff hidden in boxes & paper. Boo has a few secret feeds a day when eddy is having a lie in or when I bring her down in the evening.

So in summary I think they can still enjoy enrichment when blind but I do think back up feeding is needed, especially if there is any weight loss

Ha ha - right, I'm with you:lol:

I don't know how Eddy isn't really fat ..he eats so much quicker than Boo & has all his senses to help him track down food. Like Shimmer said I try to put things down that include something smelly (here its rosemary, thyme, basil & lemon balm) in with piles of forage I leave lying about. I still use their stacking cups, forage book & treat ball but these are actively placed in front of boo. Same with significant meals. I do scatter leaves & twigs so imagine Eddy has lions share of those, same with stuff hidden in boxes & paper. Boo has a few secret feeds a day when eddy is having a lie in or when I bring her down in the evening.

So in summary I think they can still enjoy enrichment when blind but I do think back up feeding is needed, especially if there is any weight loss

Thanks this is really helpful. I'm going to do some secret feeds and will start buying more herbs and things for them to play with. I've just started a new job so am out a bit more than I was previously so might adjust their routine so that I can make sure Rupert is getting his fair share.

Eddy sounds like a male version of Lilac! Whenever she's weighed at the vets she's JUST on the right side of obese but I don't know how, she's such a little pig lol.

Back