• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Medicating a rabbit with head-tilt

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I've had rabbits for many years but never had a rabbit with head tilt until recently. Milo is a resue bun who had had e,cuniculi a year ago for which he was treated with Panacur/Lapizole. He copes very well.When he came to live with me a couple of weeks ago I got my vet to do a blood test to see what his ec levels were so I had more understanding of his health and rule out an ear infection. He's thriving. Weight gaining, very active,good appetite, no wobbliness/ good body control, very friendly and happy despite his residual headtilt so I was surprised to learn that the results were high, indicating a current infection:shock:
Perhaps a change of home triggered this,I don't know. He starts on Lapizole from Monday as my vet only stocks Panacur which I find tricky to use especially with a head tilt bunny.
If anyone has any tips on medicating a head tilt rabbit I'd love some advice! I'm experienced with rabbits without head tilt but this is new to me. Thanks!
He's completely separate from my other bunnies and I'm being very careful to prevent the spread of ec.

Last edited:
Firstly it is so much easier to use Panacur 10% liquid if it is the fact that the paste is tricky to administer. I know that you say your Vet is ordering Lapizole, but for future reference the Panacur 10% Liquid is the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) as the paste and Lapizole. The dose needed for the 10% liquid is 0.2ml/kg/day. You can of course confirm this with your Vet. The Panacur 10% liquid can be bought online without prescription and will be a lot cheaper than buying any form of Fenbendazole from the Vet

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/panacur-10-100ml-for-dogs-cats-puppies-kittens/

As for how to medicate a head tilt Rabbit this might help, see under ‘Supportive Care’

https://www.theeducatedrabbit.com/caring-for-head-tilt-rabbits.html

Firstly it is so much easier to use Panacur 10% liquid if it is the fact that the paste is tricky to administer. I know that you say your Vet is ordering Lapizole, but for future reference the Panacur 10% Liquid is the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) as the paste and Lapizole. The dose needed for the 10% liquid is 0.2ml/kg/day. You can of course confirm this with your Vet. The Panacur 10% liquid can be bought online without prescription and will be a lot cheaper than buying any form of Fenbendazole from the Vet

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/panacur-10-100ml-for-dogs-cats-puppies-kittens/

As for how to medicate a head tilt Rabbit this might help, see under ‘Supportive Care’

https://www.theeducatedrabbit.com/caring-for-head-tilt-rabbits.html

Thank you so much for this and the very useful links

When I had a rabbit with head tilt I used to try and avoid picking him up as much as possible as it really stressed him out, so i would mix his meds in with something like banana flavoured baby food so that he could just eat it from a spoon or syringe.

When I had a rabbit with head tilt I used to try and avoid picking him up as much as possible as it really stressed him out, so i would mix his meds in with something like banana flavoured baby food so that he could just eat it from a spoon or syringe.

Thank you very much for this

I just wanted to update that Milo made a full recovery from the ec and even his residual headtilt from his first infection is less pronounced. :D

Back