• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think I'm losing Lucky

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I'm getting really disheartened and tired of this.

I used to keep rabbits and they lived for years and I never once had issues.

Lucky is going off his food and showing signs of illness. My house is cursed I feel like giving up on the rabbits now. I'm sick of losing animals. I don't know how long I'll have rabbits for because the way things are going I'll probably have around 6 months before they all die.

I'm getting really disheartened and tired of this.

I used to keep rabbits and they lived for years and I never once had issues.

Lucky is going off his food and showing signs of illness. My house is cursed I feel like giving up on the rabbits now. I'm sick of losing animals. I don't know how long I'll have rabbits for because the way things are going I'll probably have around 6 months before they all die.

Most rabbits will be unwell occasionally. If Lucky is not eating and appears unwell, then you should take him to a vet asap. With rabbits who are not eating, the more quickly they get treatment the better the outcome. It's by no means a foregone conclusion, that because Lucky is unwell, he will die, but he will need supportive treatment very quickly.

Sending him lots of vibes.

I agree, the sooner he sees a vet, the better his chances of getting well. Let us know how he goes on.

If he is showing signs of illness then he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. I hope he is better soon.

A vet is the only person who can examine, diagnose and provide appropriate treatment. Rabbits that seem ill are usually worse than you think, so it's always best to get professional advice ASAP. It could be related to the previous incident, you could still have various contagious diseases lurking, or you could have picked up something else from recent contact with other rabbits which would affect an already weakened rabbit more than usual. Or it could be something else entirely. You need to prioritise the wellbeing of your pets.

You could ring your vet up for advice before doing anything else, and while there is a chance of not having to go out of hours.

Agree with the other comments, the best course of action is vet treatment if he's not eating, especially given you lost the babies such a short amount of time ago, it might be totally unrelated and Lucky is just a bit under the weather but you need to be certain.

It may be worth changing clothes and washing hands before going near your other buns until you know what's going on.

Sending vibes to Lucky.

Last edited:
He is eating hay and moving about normally but his appetite isn't as big as it was. Whenever there is the slightest change in behavior I get really worried. I don't know if he is ill or not but earlier he just wanted to lay there and not do anything when there was food in front of him.

He went from eating huge amounts of hay to not eating so much but now he is eating again... probably something to do with his gut. I've been slowly weaning him off the pellets and giving him more hay. He has very dark urine but his dropping appear normal.

Could possibly be the start of gut stasis or dental issues, either way the quicker treatment is started the better prognosis. I'd rather over worry and book a vet trip too 'soon' when he may pick up than too late since as we all know rabbits go downhill quick

Could possibly be the start of gut stasis or dental issues, either way the quicker treatment is started the better prognosis. I'd rather over worry and book a vet trip too 'soon' when he may pick up than too late since as we all know rabbits go downhill quick

I'd say it be gut stasis but early stages. I'm going to be keeping them all on a strict diet of hay and water.

[He had fluid therapy when he went to the vet before...

Is Gut Stasis a bacterial infection?

Does Gut Stasis return, get worse if left untreated?

Can early signs of gut stasis be dealt with by feeding just hay?

Are there any medications I can order online for Gut Stasis?

I would like to know more about gut stasis.

Gut stasis is broad term for the rabbits gut slowing down which left untreated the prognosis is not good. Often the cause may be unknown, it's not a bacterial infection though. Can be caused by a range of things, other illness, dental problems, stress etc. Gut stasis needs to be differentiated from a blockage by a vet if the primary cause can't be found. Early and minor episodes may pass on there own but I'd only give the rabbit a couple of hours to improve or the prognosis will be worse. Can't order any medication online as they are all prescription only so must be seen by a vet, it's also painful for the rabbit so treatment is usually pain relief, fluids, gut motility meds and a glucose spot check performed by the vet as a start then home care will be encouraging the rabbit to eat and possibly syringe feeding a special diet which you could buy online, such as critical care but a blockage needs to be ruled out or syringe feeding will make the problem worse.

[He had fluid therapy when he went to the vet before...

Is Gut Stasis a bacterial infection?

Does Gut Stasis return, get worse if left untreated?

Can early signs of gut stasis be dealt with by feeding just hay?

Are there any medications I can order online for Gut Stasis?

I would like to know more about gut stasis.

Is Gut Stasis a bacterial infection? No

Does Gut Stasis return, get worse if left untreated? Yes, ends badly if not treated

Can early signs of gut stasis be dealt with by feeding just hay? No

Are there any medications I can order online for Gut Stasis? No, all prescription only. It's very painful for the rabbit and prompt treatment still doesn't mean they'll survive unfortunately :(

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info it gives me a better idea of what could be going on.

Lucky's gut is slowing down but minor right now.... I understand this could become critical within a matter of days. I'm going to book him into the vet once again on Monday. Its becoming an expensive business. I understand diet may not be the cause but something else is likely and I need to figure out what could be causing this. I never ever had these issues before with my other rabbits when I lived in my old place so its got to be something to do with my flat.

Dark colour urine is also a worrying symptom, unless it's from eating certain plants eg dandelions.

You can't make an unqualified diagnosis online, especially after your recent losses. If a rabbit is unwell, you need a qualified vet to examine them, especially with Lucky's recent history. I would contact the vet he saw before, as they are familiar with his medical history. Even if you are familiar with the signs of gut stasis (which you have said you are not), you need to know that there is no obstruction and no other symptoms, then get the correct prescription-only treatment at the correct dose rate, etc.

Thanks for the info it gives me a better idea of what could be going on.

Lucky's gut is slowing down but minor right now.... I understand this could become critical within a matter of days. I'm going to book him into the vet once again on Monday. Its becoming an expensive business. I understand diet may not be the cause but something else is likely and I need to figure out what could be causing this. I never ever had these issues before with my other rabbits when I lived in my old place so its got to be something to do with my flat.

Gut stasis (if that's what it is) becomes critical within hours, not days. Your vet is the best person to diagnose what is wrong, and what the primary causes may be.

Having had very recent contact with baby rabbits which have since died, plus another from an unknown source, it's quite likely that there are residual issues from them. Hygiene (such as daily cleaning of litter trays) is very important when the cause of recent illness / death has not been confirmed. Sudden changes in diet also cause stress - so removing hay, then removing pellets and going to hay only in a matter of days is maybe not the wisest course of action under the current circumstances.

I hope that Lucky gets some appropriate help before his condition deteriorates.

As others have said, it is vital that Lucky sees a vet as a matter of urgency - I came on really hoping to see that you had taken him to the vet and that he was receiving treatment.

How is his poo output?
Others gave you good information, I am adding my positive vibes.

Last edited:
His poop is healthy. He is resting a lot with his back legs spread out on the floor and normally when I'd go near him while his resting he would get up but he just lays there. I could just be paranoid that something is wrong, he has eaten something this morning but his appetite has changed so he isn't eating as much as he normally would. He is still grooming himself and gets up to his mischief which I guess is a good sign. I haven't seen him do any zoomies or binkies in a while tho...

All the bunnies have had a good clean out even though is wasn't that dirty, all litter boxes have been emptied and cleaned.

Another thing I forgot to mention just encase it had any relevance, he keeps moving his litter tray and pooping on the floor.

Last edited:
Back