• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think blitzen has had a setback

I'm relieved you got the answer as to the circumstances of his passing. You gave him the best life possible. I'm glad you've been able to bring him home and put him to rest. Noserubs to his mum, dad, and siblings. I hope you and your family can heal from your grief now and remember the good times with your dear Blitzen. xxx

So so sorry for you. You took the time to post on my thread about Dixie even though you were going through your own sleepless days and nights. Glad he is home surrounded by his family and his memory will remain with you and make you smile. Xx

Thanks for all the thoughts. Im still devastated but keeping it together. My lad on the other hand is still in bits, crying all the time, even most of the night. Hes not been to school yet but hoping i can get him there tomorrow. Hes been distraught, blitzen was his baby and he cant understand why hes died, he even asked me to dig him up so he could hug and kiss him. Its breaking my heart. He said he has all this love to give blitzen and he cant give it him and thats why his heart is hurting. im hoping tonight is a better night. Ive never cried so much has i have in these days.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Im still devastated but keeping it together. My lad on the other hand is still in bits, crying all the time, even most of the night. Hes not been to school yet but hoping i can get him there tomorrow. Hes been distraught, blitzen was his baby and he cant understand why hes died, he even asked me to dig him up so he could hug and kiss him. Its breaking my heart. He said he has all this love to give blitzen and he cant give it him and thats why his heart is hurting. im hoping tonight is a better night. Ive never cried so much has i have in these days.

Oh bless him :cry:

Could you and your little boy put a memory box/album together ? Some photos of Blitzen, a note about his favourite food and things he used to get up to. Then maybe you could do something for Blitzen this Christmas. Perhaps you could buy a special 'Blitzen Candle' that you could light for him on Christmas Eve.

You could also show this to your little boy

Thinking of you. This is so hard. I've seen not only children but adults wanting to dig their rabbits up to hug and kiss, the feeling is so strong xx Hugs for you xx

Sending loads of hugs for you, your boy and the rest of your family. It's really not surprising that your boy has taken it so hard, especially if he had a soft spot for Blitzen. Crikey, if we as "experienced in life" adults find it difficult to process our grief and to make sense of a rabbit's death, especially one so young as Blitzen, who has been part of your family since the day he was born, it's going to be very difficult for him. I really hope he has some sensitive friends at school.

Oh bless him :( and you.
It's so difficult and I've really found comfort in doing little things to remember Billy. We got him a little clock in the shape of his favourite star rug, and a lovely wooden box to hold his ashes. We also framed a couple of photos and the other day when I was in Asda I found some Candles with letters on. I couldn't resist picking up the 'B' candle and I will be lighting it this Christmas. We've also got a photo album for the rest of his photos.
Maybe making a scrap book full of Blizten related photos and stories will help your boy?
Xxx

This is the candle if you'd like one...
https://groceries.asda.com/product/candles/george-home-letter-b-votive-candle/910001962019

Thankyou everyone for your thoughts and kindness. My lad Ben is feeling a little better but someone at morris dancing has said he can go and look at a bun tomorrow. He has said he will go and look, he said he will know if the bun loves or needs him so i am leaving it up to him. I didnt want another bun but if it makes Ben feels better i will get him it. Hes a very sensitive lad and really believes that Blitzen picked him to be his daddy so he said he will know when he first sees it. Im half hoping the bun doesnt pick him because its something else to break his heart if anything happens. He said no bun will ever be as best as blitzen. Thanks again for the support xxxx Me and ben are going to do a post in rainbow bridge when he is able to look at pictures of blitzen without crying. xx

Bless Ben. It's a very bittersweet offer that the person at morris dancing has offered him, and also lovely that you are leaving the decision to him, even though the potential of another bun isn't necessarily in your best interests at this moment in time.

I'm sure you and Ben will do a wonderful tribute to sweet Blitzen when the time comes.

Thankyou everyone for your thoughts and kindness. My lad Ben is feeling a little better but someone at morris dancing has said he can go and look at a bun tomorrow. He has said he will go and look, he said he will know if the bun loves or needs him so i am leaving it up to him. I didnt want another bun but if it makes Ben feels better i will get him it. Hes a very sensitive lad and really believes that Blitzen picked him to be his daddy so he said he will know when he first sees it. Im half hoping the bun doesnt pick him because its something else to break his heart if anything happens. He said no bun will ever be as best as blitzen. Thanks again for the support xxxx Me and ben are going to do a post in rainbow bridge when he is able to look at pictures of blitzen without crying. xx

((((( hugs )))))

You're a very generous and big hearted lady xx

It's a difficult situation with Ben and the other rabbit. I can imagine that another rabbit could make him feel better about Blitzen, but you are of course right in that it will at some stage be another heartbreak for him. I think he will know whether the other rabbit will be right for him and I think you are doing exactly the right thing for him by letting the decision be his. He may feel the need to have a rabbit that is special to him.

I hope it all turns out for the good, whichever way it goes.

thanks. I know im not ready yet to let another bun into my heart but im hoping if the bun comes it will win my heart. Lets face it, it doesnt take much with me does it. He has gone to bed happy tonight knowing he is going at 12 tomorrow. I may have to post about info on french lops if he wants it, i will take photos too. x

I am sorry for your and your family's loss.
Ben sounds like a special lad with a lot of love in his heart. Even though no bunny can replace Blitzen, you can look at it as now having room in your home (and eventually your heart) to make another bunny very lucky. .

Back