• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think blitzen has had a setback

Thats why i wanted to go there myself and by seeing him i would know better how he is coping. They have said its not normal practice to visit, only if things were going badly down hill. Im going to ring back around 7pm and ask when a vet gets an available minute could he/she speak to me. If its anything like yesterday they were swamped with emergencies. I feel really sick now but that might be because ive not been able to eat yet. My husband is cooking me something now. He makes sense in saying im not going to be able to look after him when i get him home if i make myself ill. Ive promised i will try to go to bed tonight.

You have a very sensible husband and a caring one to be cooking for you :) However, it's not that easy to eat when we feel very stressed as I imagine you do at the moment. You may actually also feel less sick if you can eat a small amount.

Do you know whether they have a clinic today and are accepting admissions? It might be that, being Sunday, the vets will not have to deal with so many new emergencies and so would have more time to speak to you on the phone. I think I would emphasise how concerned you are and that being able to speak to a vet about Blitzen is very important to you. You could also make the point that you have lots of questions which only the vet would be able to answer. I really can't imagine that you are alone in wanting more information about your pet.

The fluids are clearly important and so he does need to stay there. I can understand how upsetting it is for you though.

Sending you lots of hugs.

Thats why i wanted to go there myself and by seeing him i would know better how he is coping. They have said its not normal practice to visit, only if things were going badly down hill. Im going to ring back around 7pm and ask when a vet gets an available minute could he/she speak to me. If its anything like yesterday they were swamped with emergencies. I feel really sick now but that might be because ive not been able to eat yet. My husband is cooking me something now. He makes sense in saying im not going to be able to look after him when i get him home if i make myself ill. Ive promised i will try to go to bed tonight.

I quite understand not being able to eat when you're stressed. I would find it extremely difficult. It seems that all you want is a bit of info as to how he's doing and until you get someone to reassure you that he's on the upward path you can't really relax. Information is what you need and it's thinking of the best way of going about getting it.

If it were me I would tend to ring rather often to enquire how he is. They may eventually put you on to a vet or at least get some updated info on his condition.

Letting your baby go and then not being able to know how he's doing is awful. Lots of people love their pets but are able to switch off whilst in another's care. I am like you - I can never switch off from them at all. Full stop.

Loads of hugs xxxx

Ive just rang again (i bet they are fed up of me) and they are happier about him, He his stomach has gone down, forgot to mention he was quite bloated, he is still nibbling hay and still doing little amount of poos. They said he is staying on the fluids and hes not well enough to come home but he is a bit better than he was. They said the vet doesnt get on the phone to people either. I gave her my questions and she took ages to come back, but he is on gut motility pain killers and fluids. I might sleep a bit tonight now.

Ive just rang again (i bet they are fed up of me) and they are happier about him, He his stomach has gone down, forgot to mention he was quite bloated, he is still nibbling hay and still doing little amount of poos. They said he is staying on the fluids and hes not well enough to come home but he is a bit better than he was. They said the vet doesnt get on the phone to people either. I gave her my questions and she took ages to come back, but he is on gut motility pain killers and fluids. I might sleep a bit tonight now.

I have dealt with these vet charities on behalf of other people and I wouldn't worry about making a nuisance of yourself! (you're not anyways :))

I am glad you've got some sort of an update and all's as well as it can be.

In your shoes I would find it impossible to eat, but sleep deprived and sense of perspective is lost. It's important for you to have a clear mind, so I really hope you all get some good sleep at some point.

Love and hugs xx

It sounds as though he is responding to treatment. If it is a cecal impaction then it can take several days of ongoing treatment to fully resolve. So dont be too despondent that he has to remain at the Vets.

I expect that the Vets are run off their feet and just do not have the time to take calls themselves. Whilst it is stressful and frustrating for you not to be able to have direct contact with a Vet when you call I am sure that they are doing all they can for Blitzen. That is the most important thing.

I hope that by tomorrow Blitzen will have improved even more x

thanks MM ive had something eat now and feel a bit better. When your children are in hospital you stay with them and dont leave their side. I know some might laugh when i say i think of these buns as my children, but i at least know people on RU are more understanding and a lot feel the same, so i know im not the only one going through this. xx

thanks MM ive had something eat now and feel a bit better. When your children are in hospital you stay with them and dont leave their side. I know some might laugh when i say i think of these buns as my children, but i at least know people on RU are more understanding and a lot feel the same, so i know im not the only one going through this. xx

Aww you're welcome :) You know where I am and I'm always here :)

Our rabbits only have us to advocate for them. In that sense they are exactly like our children. If we don't fight their corner then who will? And who knows them better but ourselves?

I am as protective of my rabbits as I am of my kids :D

I hope that you've got some more good news about Blitzen this morning. I also hope that you were able to get some sleep last night.

Thankyou, i did get a couple of hour sleep and feel a bit better this morning. Ive been ringing but its a message saying they are dealing with an emergency phone call so ill just keep trying. xx

HES GONE :cry::cry::cry::cry: my poor poor blitzen. i am heartbroke dont know what to do. They said they tried to ring me at 9pm last night to tell me he had died and i know they didnt because i have been sat with the phone since i left him there

Back