• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Arnie is dead.

Been back out in the garden for one last look 'just in case' he may have simply fled and hid until he felt safe. Did not think that was the reality though.

I decided not to leave the run and hutch open as that would be inviting the fox to move in.:evil:

There did not seem any point in leaving the hutch open in hope as he would have been outside the back door begging to come in and raid the pellets if he was alive and the garden has that sort of stillness to it that usually means the local wildlife knows a predator has been in and hit lucky.

No word to describe the fox. I am saving up for an electric fence I have never lost a rabbit this way before and I do not intend to again.:censored: That fox has not made a friend.

Given Teasel a huge piece of vet bed to snuggle in for tonight and she has Arnies fave hidey box with his fleece blanket in the puppy pen. I think she may have seen and heard what happened as she was so quiet and still when I bought her in. Thankfully she is eating although wondering around looking lost.

I have just told my OH about what has happened. We are so very deeply sorry. You must be devasted. Poor Teasel :cry:

Thank you to all.

Arnie came from Becky's RSPCA Walsall branch. If there was a way of getting into the kind of trouble to put a smile on your face he would find it.

Sadly it was Teasel who taught Arnie how to chomp through wooden frames to begin peeling the wire up. As Becky had him when he was a little tiny kit he had no reason to suspect that life could be dangerous. Had another look early this morning. His prints were heading straight towards the large strawberry pot. He loved strawberry leaves so my guess is he made a break for it to raid the strawberry plants he knew where there somewhere. Hopefully he never knew what hit him.

Teasel is sat munching away and looking more relaxed this morning. She is not looking for him so I think she knows he is dead.

Once I can get out there and tackle the run and replaced the chewed section; husband is sat next to me this morning reading up on how to turn the yard into fort knox with electric fencing to keep foxes out and buns in. Then we can consider looking for another rescue buck. For now Teasel can have the run of fenced off section of the litchen.

Had another look early this morning. His prints were heading straight towards the large strawberry pot. He loved strawberry leaves so my guess is he made a break for it to raid the strawberry plants he knew where there somewhere. Hopefully he never knew what hit him.

really heartbreaking :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am really sorry to hear about Arnie. Poor little man. Thinking of you at this very sad time.

sleep tight Arnie xx

Back