• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I seem to have lost my fur!!!!

Oh dear

Would the Vet admit him tonight ? It sounds as though he needs to be on IV fluids and supportive feeds.

They didn't offer that. I rang a couple of hours ago as there was some discrepancy over his meds. They just asked how he was and that's all. They have a surgery 2 moz at 9.30 so will take him then if no better. Unfortunately my really rabbit savvy vet doesn't open sat pm or Sunday.

They didn't offer that. I rang a couple of hours ago as there was some discrepancy over his meds. They just asked how he was and that's all. They have a surgery 2 moz at 9.30 so will take him then if no better. Unfortunately my really rabbit savvy vet doesn't open sat pm or Sunday.

Personally I would call the Vet again, explain that he is not eating or drinking or even moving and request he be admitted. I fear he wont make it til morning without intensive care, especially the IV fluids :cry:

Just been out to Cedric to try and decide whether to act on Jack Jane's advice. He is still here but breathing is very shallow. He's in his place, with his girl by his side and he doesn't appear in pain. I just think it is kinder not to move him and distress him and let be what will be.

I just wish I knew what has gone wrong? Too rapid a decline for EC? How could he have injured his spine overnight? If only he could talk................:cry:

Just been out to Cedric to try and decide whether to act on Jack Jane's advice. He is still here but breathing is very shallow. He's in his place, with his girl by his side and he doesn't appear in pain. I just think it is kinder not to move him and distress him and let be what will be.

I just wish I knew what has gone wrong? Too rapid a decline for EC? How could he have injured his spine overnight? If only he could talk................:cry:

I hope he remains peaceful :cry:

Sending lots of vibes for Cedric xxx
If he's not eating, he should really be syringe fed or on fluids, as Jane suggested. Bunnies are so good at not showing they're in pain. :(

Update on Cedric......................he was put to sleep about 30 minutes ago :cry:
He made it through the night to my surprise. I had syringe fed him which he took really well but was still really weak.
I have a really good rabbit savvy vet who I managed to get hold of this morning. He examined him and said it wasn't EC (too rapid a decline) and unlikely to be spinal. He felt it was more likely to be something systemic, such as kidney failure, twisted gut, or a poison. He immediately admitted him, put him on fluids etc, and did an X-ray and took bloods. The result was that he had excess gas in his gut probably due to the fact that his gut was perforated. He offered surgery to go in and look further but said it was difficult to get rabbits guts going again after surgery. The other option was to put him to sleep and he felt that was the kinder option. So that was our decision, as hard as it was.

I feel comforted knowing that I managed to get hold of the vet I place most trust in and that due to his experience and knowledge I have a answer to what was wrong with him........and finally that I don't have to worry that his wife Jess may have caught EC.

You were a wonderful rabbit Cedric whose time with us was far too short but I know that you so enjoyed your time with us. I can honestly say that in all the rabbits I've had, I've never known a character like you.:D

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss, he was a beautiful boy! I'm sending lots of nose rubs for Jess x

Thank you all. Just been out to check on all 3 of my rabbits. Poor Jess looks so small and lonely in her shed. She must wonder what's going on.......losing her sister last sept and now the 2nd rabbit she bonded so well with. I don't know whether I want to put her through a further bond. She's 10, but a very healthy 10. But then again I thought Cedric was a healthy boy until 24 hours ago! I'm feelin so raw myself that I don't know if I want to go through more losses. :cry:

Back