• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really need some advice

Am so sorry, i thought you meant the children. I am very on edge about the whole thing. sorry for getting a bit defensive.

i think am gonna ring the vet tomorrow and get him neutered.
he is very friendly (most of the time)
and i do feel sorry for him.
it actually makes me feel sick inside, to think of suggesting the re-homing/pts... but these are ideas that have been thrown at me when chatting about the situation to friends and family... none of which i'd been able to follow through... just plodded on, every day... getting spray... which my husband finds very funny and will often laugh at me for a few mins b4 throwing me a towel.
This is why i came looking for advice from people who actually know bunnies...

I think a trip to the vets is a very good idea, get him neutered and a health check up, that way if you do decide to re-home him, his potential new owners will have some back ground health info...maybe once all that is done then why not visit RU again....we're always here to help :D

Hello :wave:

First off, welcome to the forum.

Alot of aggressive case in nearly all animals are out of fear. As *spider* already said - if you were partially blind and someone came up to you suddenly you would be completely surprised.
The fact he loves a cuddle and fuss shows he is no way aggressive at all.

My female rabbit bit me this week on the arm, it was such a shock as she isnt aggressive at all and was totally out of nature. Its because I had the cleaning gloves on which she hates and often tries to eat when they are just laying on the floor. Im not more cautious or anything around her, as I know her personality well. So there may be an item of clothing that you were wearing that he didnt like? (or I might just have a odd rabbit :lol:)

I may have missed it, but how long have you had him now?
He may well still be settling in with all the different smells and action about. They all take different lengths of time to settle - one of my rabbits took longer than the other.
Oh also, I know when I get out the shower my two go far away as possible from me as they just dont recognise me. So the smell may have spooked him aswell.

I'd get him neutered as soon as you can, as this will stop the spraying he is doing and also will quieten his hormones down.
If you feel like you can't look after him, I would rehome him. But I'd say neuter first - another thing a rescue doesnt then have to spend their money on :).
However, if you got him neutered and your other girl speyed then you could bond them together where Im sure they would be alot happier ;) Just look on the photo part of the forum to see happy loved up bunnies :love:

:thumb:

If you ever get horrendously bored then you might have a look at my threads on Teddy. (You don't need to for me to tell you this story though) Long thing short....I'm constantly gushing about how wonderful he is. He wouldn't hurt a fly (unless he's a huge grumpalump!! :roll: :lol:) He's a Frenchie and is 6.5/7kg of pure force!! Those back legs/teeth can do a lot of damage.

I have almost completely forgotten the Hellish months that I had when he was going through puberty. He was neutered at 12/14 weeks, but still went through puberty. He never bit me...but would box my hands when I put them in his cage. His litter training went out the window. I constantly had scratched all over my arms...he even winded me once with those huge claws.

I never regretted getting him, as I love him more than anything....but I did question if I could carry on like that.

He suddenly calmed down, and went back to the little bun that didn't know what a hormone was ;). ....only about 10 times the size. I can't live without my boy, and my two year old adores "Teggie". I don't think for a moment he'd hurt Ol.

Once he's neutered you just need to give him time, and patience. He might surprise you :)

I'm sure if you ask anyone on here who had bunnies as youngsters they'll have the same story as me! :D

Does he have anything else about him that makes you think he might have neurological problems?

I only ask as he sounds very much like my Elwood. He can lunge and attack and then 2 seconds later be cuddling up for kisses. Thankfully for us his teeth needed to be removed because of his deformed jaw, otherwise he would have done us a lot of damage. But in between he is a very human loving bunny :)

Well if he had no teeth, i'd keep him for sure.:lol:
I think he may very well have neurological problems. He is the same... infact, the day that he attacked, i had him out on my lap and i gave him a brush and sat and petted him for ages and he seemed very happy... then i put him in... went to put in his food as normal and he launched!
I do still handle him alot... he has never tried to bite again, but i am always on guard.

Am so sorry, i thought you meant the children. I am very on edge about the whole thing. sorry for getting a bit defensive.

i think am gonna ring the vet tomorrow and get him neutered.
he is very friendly (most of the time)
and i do feel sorry for him.
it actually makes me feel sick inside, to think of suggesting the re-homing/pts... but these are ideas that have been thrown at me when chatting about the situation to friends and family... none of which i'd been able to follow through... just plodded on, every day... getting spray... which my husband finds very funny and will often laugh at me for a few mins b4 throwing me a towel.
This is why i came looking for advice from people who actually know bunnies...

i was in the same situ but with my dog....:oops:
he kept attacking my other dogs whenever they moved.. i was at the end of my tether and even rang a dog therapist! i was in tears everyday. me and the OH were arguing over it.
i took him to the vets as one of the other dogs faught back and he got a injury. the vet did suggest to have him done, but also said it might not work....i did have him done and he more or less changed overnight. when he went back to get his stitches removed the vet said he must of been going mad with all the homones.......he litrally attacked the dogs when they moved out of their beds.
i must say tho at the time i only had my daughter who cant walk so there was no way of her getting in the way of him fighting. if i would of had my boys i would of been in more of a state.......
im glad youve decided to get him done. :)

Oh yes, we need pics to... um... properly see how um... um...

Can anyone think of a reason why we need pics? :oops::lol:

Erm...welll....you see...It's a rule!! You're not allowed to be a member without posting pics...;) Erm...yeah....that's right!! ;)

Well if he had no teeth, i'd keep him for sure.:lol:
I think he may very well have neurological problems. He is the same... infact, the day that he attacked, i had him out on my lap and i gave him a brush and sat and petted him for ages and he seemed very happy... then i put him in... went to put in his food as normal and he launched!
I do still handle him alot... he has never tried to bite again, but i am always on guard.

Oh, could he be abit territory agrressive? I havent had a rabbit with it, but there must be someone on here that has.
Not sure if they always lunge or just now and again though :? but as you said its in his hutch?
Or food aggressive? I think a lady on here has just adopted a rabbit who was aggressive around food.

Oh, could he be abit territory agrressive? I havent had a rabbit with it, but there must be someone on here that has.
Not sure if they always lunge or just now and again though :? but as you said its in his hutch?
Or food aggressive? I think a lady on here has just adopted a rabbit who was aggressive around food.

same thought came to my mind as he's un neutered and happened in hutch...

To be frank if you've got several unneutered rabbits including other unneutered males then I think you will need to get used to being sprayed by one rabbit or another as it's a very common territorial/sexual habit of unneutered rabbits...especially male ones and especially ones who can smell other rabbits around! Absolutely nothing unusual about that behaviour.

If the little chap does have sight/hearing problems then it's great that you recognise that he shouldn't be bred from as it could be genetic, but if you are considering rehoming him, I really would encourage you to neuter him beforehand. Not only will this give you a chance to see if he calms down, it will also mean that no-one else could attempt to breed from him and if you were to give him to a reputable rescue centre they would ask for a donation to cover the cost of neutering anyway so you may as well do it yourself to see if it solves the problem.

In the meantime, I would suggest dealing with him first - the smell of the other rabbits on your clothes and hands might also be encouraging him to attack you, whereas if you go to him before you smell of the other buns, this may be lessened. Coupled with neutering, this should really help.

Totally agree with Santa here. :wave:

I'm glad that you have decided to ring the vet, I've had many unneutered males through my door that have territorially sprayed me and once neutered and given more space, the problem soon disappears.

The other thing to consider is how much exercise/space he has.

I had an owner of unneutered male breeding lop wanting to pts at 6months old for doing exactly what your young bun is doing. We refused to do it and I went to the house to collect him and he was in a fairly small hutch with no access to a run.

I had him neutered and he had ALOT more space/exercise which solved the aggression. It wasn't instant but over a few months he became a complete darling and one of the sweetest rabbits I've ever owned because he was much more relaxed and content. :love:

Good luck! :wave:

I think it may be more to do with his hutch.
He doesn't really care about his food... doesn't go straight over to eat it!
He only sprays when he is in his hutch and when i 1st go over to him.
Yip, deffo gonna get him neutered.
Don't wanna be sprayed.
My other males spray now and then, but not at me!
He directly does it straight for me everytime.
x

I think it may be more to do with his hutch.
He doesn't really care about his food... doesn't go straight over to eat it!
He only sprays when he is in his hutch and when i 1st go over to him.
Yip, deffo gonna get him neutered.
Don't wanna be sprayed.
My other males spray now and then, but not at me!
He directly does it straight for me everytime.
x

Just a tip from reading that too, just check your not giving him too much food....not jumping on it could be a sign that he is offered too much food. Remember hay in the staple diet , pellets are a 'dressing'

Something to refer too, when i got Little Ben, he was so lovely, he reached that age and the spraying began, i got him neutered the spraying stopped and he really calmed down.

Lottie is my REW German Lop, i do believe she has a very poor eyesight, she oftens scans, stands with her head forward and moves it side to side. I try not to make her "jump" i always approach her saying things and make sure she knows i am there.

How close is your little chap to the other rabbits? I can only imagine if there are several un-neutered rabbits living closely, thats your problem. He can smell them. If your not using him for breeding, which i do believe is a very wise move, then there is no reason for not getting him neutered? I am pretty sure it will calm him down and remove the need for him spraying.

All the best :wave:

ETA - i rarely listen to friends and family, if i did put it this way i probably wouldnt have any rabbits :roll:

Last edited:
yeah he eats alot of hay.
his bowl is empty everyday when i go to fill it again... he just never runs straight to it when i put it in.

I don't refil my buns dish when it's empty, they get about an egg cup if that of pellets once a day (a.m).....rest hay (24hrs) and a bit of veg in the evening.....they have a very healthy appetite to say the least!!

Back