• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really need some advice

hi,
see this is what i find strange about him.
he is in no way at all nervous or strange around people. he comes to see me everytime that i go out the the rabbits. he likes to be lifted and handled. he is in no way frightened by human contact.
if he hadn't attacked my hand out of the blue, i wouldn't even be posting this.
i don't even understand why he did that... as he was so friendly (still is) am just a little scared of his un-predictable nature...
i think i probably will look into neutering him.
but even when neutered, would you let kids handle him? what he did to me was pretty horrific and i was very shaken for the rest of that night... he'd hate for him to do something like that to one of my children.
???

No guarantees that it wont happen again, and the hormones take 3 to 4 weeks to wear off after neutering......

Certainly worth a go as EVERYTHING you have said is typical of a boy bunny who has just gone through puberty! and at spring........mating season.......its textbook

Wouldn't it be best to have friends of their own species?

now i think thats a bit out of line! my children have loads of friends... am only looking for some advice, no need to attack.
what is so wrong with my children sitting in a chair and petting a few rabbits now and then.

but even when neutered, would you let kids handle him?

Well, no, not until I was sure it had had an effect on his behaviour by monitoring myself for a long period of time.

oh and when i say re-home... i didn't really mean re-home to someone who answered an ad... i more meant to a centre who could maybe work with him and find the right person who could give him everything he needs.
i am a stay at home mum of 3 young children and my husband works away from home and i'd love to have the time to help him. But really, it's very sad to say... with all my other rabbits and my kids and my dog... it's hard to find the time for that amount of 1 on 1...
At least my other rabbits can get some of their 1 on 1 with my children. He can't.
x

dont all jump down my throat.........

i know what you mean and i do understand.. i am a mum of three, one being severly disabled..i think the problem being here, the spey.
he will need alot of time and this is time for the rest of his life, not just for a couple of weeks while he gets over a illness
i think that if you were to find a home for him and agree with them to pay for the spey you would get more response.
i hope this makes sense as im not very good at putting things down in writing....:?

hi,
see this is what i find strange about him.
he is in no way at all nervous or strange around people. he comes to see me everytime that i go out the the rabbits. he likes to be lifted and handled. he is in no way frightened by human contact.
if he hadn't attacked my hand out of the blue, i wouldn't even be posting this.
i don't even understand why he did that... as he was so friendly (still is) am just a little scared of his un-predictable nature...
i think i probably will look into neutering him.
but even when neutered, would you let kids handle him? what he did to me was pretty horrific and i was very shaken for the rest of that night... he'd hate for him to do something like that to one of my children.
???

Does he have anything else about him that makes you think he might have neurological problems?

I only ask as he sounds very much like my Elwood. He can lunge and attack and then 2 seconds later be cuddling up for kisses. Thankfully for us his teeth needed to be removed because of his deformed jaw, otherwise he would have done us a lot of damage. But in between he is a very human loving bunny :)

now i think thats a bit out of line! my children have loads of friends... am only looking for some advice, no need to attack.
what is so wrong with my children sitting in a chair and petting a few rabbits now and then.

Could be wrong but I thought they meant rabbits playing with rabbits. I don't think it was an attack at your children :)

I had a hand-reared rabbit that turned very aggressive when he was about 8 months old, I later learned that this was fairly common in handreared animals of many species, he used to bite, lunge and spray - got me in the mouth once :shock:

We had him neutered and that completely changed him, he is now the most soppy and affectionate bunny I own.

think she meant the bunny having friends of its own species.........

Could be wrong but I thought they meant rabbits playing with rabbits. I don't think it was an attack at your children

Yes, I think it was surely about rabbits having rabbity friends :lol:

No-one can answer the question of 'how much his behaviour will change' when he's neutered - it might still be that you decide to rehome him.

But at least you, as his owner, will have done everything you can for him and even if you *do* decide to rehome him you will have the assurance that you have tried your best and he will be a happier bun' whatever happens.

oh and when i say re-home... i didn't really mean re-home to someone who answered an ad... i more meant to a centre who could maybe work with him and find the right person who could give him everything he needs.
i am a stay at home mum of 3 young children and my husband works away from home and i'd love to have the time to help him. But really, it's very sad to say... with all my other rabbits and my kids and my dog... it's hard to find the time for that amount of 1 on 1...
At least my other rabbits can get some of their 1 on 1 with my children. He can't.
x

Firstly, well done for coming to the forum.

What they would do is have him neutered. :) Then, when he became a calm, friendly bunny they'd wonder how on earth anyone could let him go.

He's an unneutered, partially blind bunny, who is surrounded by unspayed doe's. It's understandable that he's frustrated. This will make him aggressive. ...he gets less attention...which makes him more aggressive. It's a circle of badness...with one very unhappy rabbit.

How about getting him neutered, and then see how it goes. Is it to do with the cost of neutering him? I don't think it's fair to make a rescue pay for it. :? If, after that you still feel that you can't give him a home, then you could try and get him a rescue place, but they're so overrun that you'd most probably be waiting for a very long time! :( It's not good to be an unwanted bunny right now. There's just no space.

Hope you can make a decision. :)

No, no I meant the bunnies, not your children! :oops:

Hello :wave:

First off, welcome to the forum.

Alot of aggressive case in nearly all animals are out of fear. As *spider* already said - if you were partially blind and someone came up to you suddenly you would be completely surprised.
The fact he loves a cuddle and fuss shows he is no way aggressive at all.

My female rabbit bit me this week on the arm, it was such a shock as she isnt aggressive at all and was totally out of nature. Its because I had the cleaning gloves on which she hates and often tries to eat when they are just laying on the floor. Im not more cautious or anything around her, as I know her personality well. So there may be an item of clothing that you were wearing that he didnt like? (or I might just have a odd rabbit :lol:)

I may have missed it, but how long have you had him now?
He may well still be settling in with all the different smells and action about. They all take different lengths of time to settle - one of my rabbits took longer than the other.
Oh also, I know when I get out the shower my two go far away as possible from me as they just dont recognise me. So the smell may have spooked him aswell.

I'd get him neutered as soon as you can, as this will stop the spraying he is doing and also will quieten his hormones down.
If you feel like you can't look after him, I would rehome him. But I'd say neuter first - another thing a rescue doesnt then have to spend their money on :).
However, if you got him neutered and your other girl speyed then you could bond them together where Im sure they would be alot happier ;) Just look on the photo part of the forum to see happy loved up bunnies :love:

Just wondering as to whether you have taken him to see a vet, might be handy to see what if anything is going on with him i.e blindness, deafness and to get some advice from them, see what exactly you are up against! I think they will advise to neuter him though as is hormones are raging at the moment!

No, no I meant the bunnies, not your children! :oops:

Am so sorry, i thought you meant the children. I am very on edge about the whole thing. sorry for getting a bit defensive.

i think am gonna ring the vet tomorrow and get him neutered.
he is very friendly (most of the time)
and i do feel sorry for him.
it actually makes me feel sick inside, to think of suggesting the re-homing/pts... but these are ideas that have been thrown at me when chatting about the situation to friends and family... none of which i'd been able to follow through... just plodded on, every day... getting spray... which my husband finds very funny and will often laugh at me for a few mins b4 throwing me a towel.
This is why i came looking for advice from people who actually know bunnies...

Am so sorry, I thought you meant the children. I am very on edge about the whole thing. sorry for getting a bit defensive.

it actually makes me feel sick inside, to think of suggesting the re-homing/pts... but these are ideas that have been thrown at me when chatting about the situation to friends and family... none of which i'd been able to follow through... just plodded on, every day... getting spray... which my husband finds very funny and will often laugh at me for a few mins b4 throwing me a towel.

My fault, I should have made it clearer.

Well done for choosing to get him neutered, hopefully that will calm his hormones down :).

Am so sorry, i thought you meant the children. I am very on edge about the whole thing. sorry for getting a bit defensive.

I never listen to my family or friends about my animals :lol:
Some of my family think teenagers/adults shouldnt have rabbits, apperently its a child pet :roll: Dont talk to them often :lol:

At the end of the day, you know your pets and they dont :lol:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I do agree with the others that if you're not going to breed him...and there are many reasons why you shouldn't then neutering is the best bet for him I think.

If after a good period of time he's still attacking them perhaps finding him a new home with someone who has experience of bunnies like him :love:

I notice you've said he's a lop....most but not all lops have some degree of deafness due to the way their ears sit/lie especially when they are lying down so I expect you startled him.

Good luck :)

Oh and pictures please....I love 'dangerous' bunnies :love::love:

Back