• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Know Everyone Says Get A Rab From A Rescue

Is Any Of Your Rabs From A Pet Shop?

• Yes

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 53.0%

• Total voters
The two I have had the longest (Hazel and Jack) were from a pet shop, they are now 8 and almost 5 years old. I got Leo from a vet nurse who was trying to find him a new home after someone had dumped him.

I have adopted all my rabbits from Fife Rabbit Rescue since then :)

Bobby was from a pet shop, back in 2002, before I knew about rescues.
Ruby is from a rescue in Mansfield, Salt and Pepper from Honeybunnies and Squidgy was left in a garden when his previous owners moved house, rescued by a friend of my mum's and we've had him since:D

Charlie -unwanted childs pet (my cousins)
Princess (@bridge) -private person on rabbit rehome
Autumn - gumtree free to good home
Sophie - accidental litter

There is more than one way to rescue, is the way I see it. Charlie was in terrible conditions, but as I didn't live at home I didn't see them. Cousin left Charlie with one of our auntys to go on holiday and never went to pick him up :(

If you know you can offer a permenant loving caring home with vet care and lots of appropriate space, then I would go for a free to good home bun. It saves the buns being shuttled around families for the rest of its life.

I understand that rescues do a fantastic job and I raise/donate money for them, but if by taking pets from free ads sites I am reducing the potential numbers in rescues, not only by giving love and care but by neutering, then I am doing a good thing.

My first was, because I didn't know about rescue rabbits. All 5 of my others are, as are both my guinea pigs (plus the two now deceased), two of my three mice (now at the bridge), one of my 6 bridge hammies, and my dog.

AMETHYST

My first bunny I brought from a pet shop :) My next too I took from people who just didn't really want them and Beau came from my local rescue x

My first two bunnies (many years ago) were from a pet shop. Alfie was from a breeder and Bubbles from a rescue.

Fiver - Petshop
Mose - CARROT rescue
Buddy - CARROT rescue
Mallow - Garden Centre (given away by breeder and no one wanted her)

Phoebe - Petshop
Piper - Petshop
Holli - Pipers baby
Fletcher - Rescue
Ella - Rescue

Wouldnt change my shop bought babys for the world though :D:D :D

Lily was from pets at home, I didnt know about resuces when we got her.

IF we bond her after christmas (all being well that shes recovered fully) we're going to fatfluffs :)

Freddie from garden centre. We fell in love with him. I don't regret it either, he's a huge personality - can't imagine any other bun being a Freddie.

Daisy from a breeder as I'm a handspinner and I wanted an angora, specifically. Also, as you can see from my avatar, we've had angoras in the family a LONG time.:D The breeder gave her to me, didn't sell her, because she felt I'd be a good home and she spent an hour at least showing me how to give her a groom and a haircut, so I'd be confident.

One was an impulse buy from PAH - terrible I know but I don't regret getting him because he has such a personality but I will never get an animal from a pet shop again after reading up about it.

And his new lady friend was from the RSCPA. She's bootiful!
s524455937_1360694_8146.jpg

My first was a pet shop but subsequent five from rescues

Jess - pet shop
Twinkle - Blackpool RSPCA
Belle - Chloe (Fat Fluffs before it was 'Fat Fluffs'!)
Perry - Blackpool RSPCA
Missy - Kay at Bunny Hop Rescue
Bobby - Free ads - woman was gonna set him free so i went and got him!!

Lisa xxx

I haven't read the whole thread, but 'rescue' bunnies don't always come from official rescues. Lots of people rehome bunnies privately, so it's not always strictly a case of rescue, breeder, or pet shop.

2 of mine are from private people who just had 1 pair of bunnies (both knowledgable but just didn't 'breed' like a breeder).
3 from a breeder (probably selfish as i wanted a particular breed/colour)
1 from someone i kind of know (and i class this almost as a rescue as he was pathetic when i got him and now he's lovely :))
1 was unwanted as they thought he was a she, so i had him before he ended up anywhere horrid.
and 1 i bred, his 7 brothers and sisters are all now in loving homes making someone very happy :D

Where ever they came from they are all very loved and extremely well looked after and spoilt!

I'd never get from a pet shop although i do have 2 guinea pigs from PAH as Gingypig is certainly GinG the cat reincarnated and after seeing him i could not stop thinking about him... and i'm glad i got him as i think he would not have survived unless he was owned by a knowledgable home.

:D

My two boys were from a work colleague who couldnt look after them anymore. If I was to get another bun it would be from a rescue but I dont have room at the moment!! All full at the inn!

Back