• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How on earth do you syringe feed bunnies?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: too right Donna!

My girl is so used to taking oral meds everyday in her mouth, she doesn't even bother thrashing about anymore!

Rachael, glad to hear that Snowdrop has improved :D

Pearl still tries to run if she can.. she really really hates fortekor and if she cant get away she lets it dribble down her chin :cry::cry::cry:

dont blame her tho it smells rank :evil:

bisc hated fibreplex... he shuddered! he is a metacam junkie though, as is matt! they have it at the same times and run round my feet when i am getting it ready, then i hold one syringe in each hand and the gobble it all up! :love::love::love: then they lick the syringe even when it is all gone, check the floor for any spilled bits and then bisc bites the syringe instead! :roll::lol::love:

matt is great with meds... he will have anything... bisc is usually fussy but he takes anything apart from the fibreplex... he hated that! *shudder* :)

We had a dental and abscess bun who was syringe fed probably a couple of hundred times over the years. Always had problems with normal syringes with so much ending up on his fur so came up with this solution. Because one side of his mouth would be really sore I liked to get the Critical Care on the opposite side and between his gum and cheek so that it would not enter his airway.

DSCF1082R.jpg

It is a bird feeding syringe without the crop needle being attached. A small piece of IV tubing is fitted on the end. It is soft so it doesn't hurt the mouth. Because the plunger is stainless steel no bending occurs and the flow is smooth. I found I could use a drier mix and it would pass through effortlessly.

MY OH would place him in a towel in the burrito wrap then pull him into her chest so he would not wriggle backwards. I sat in front so that I could accurately direct the tubing. Much less spillage and a much cleaner bun at the end of the feed.

DSCF1089R.jpg

Lola was impossible to syringe feed too. I resorted to letting her mouth-hold and letting it trickle onto her dewlap. She then swiftly ran away to wash after each attempt, therefore ingesting some at least :lol:. Stubborn bunnies what can you do!?

I'm glad it's not just me who's useless at this!

Tried to syringe feed Jester on vets advice after his last trip to the emergency vet, and although he's such a gentle boy usually he was having none of it and I didn't have enough hands to hold a wriggling bunny and operate a syringe :oops:

Back