• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Many is 'Too Many' ?

Four(my two bonded pairs) is my limit space and time wise.As my bunnies have had a lot of illness between them this summer im glad I don't have any more as I would have struggled to cope.I like having the two pairs as the relationships and behaviours of the two bonds are very different.

One :lol: we're always back and forth to the vets with him, so couldn't afford another rabbit even if I wanted one.

I have eight rabbits ... The quad are easy. Mottle has had a dental and will need another. His partner, Peaches is healthy. The belgian hares eat as much as the quad and are in great health.

All of mine are young and (apart from Mottle's dental) dont have any health issues. But I would dearly like to have them indoors.

My ideal number would be two. My limit is the eight that I have. Any more would be expensive for me to feed and would need more cleaning out/general care than I want to give atm.

Last edited:
4 is just enough at the moment - an indoor pair and an outdoor pair - any more than that and I'd be compromising on their space which I don't like doing. That's why I didn't keep the little stray who we came across this week, even though I would have loved to :(

I'm lucky my outdoor pair aren't keen on humans to be honest, as I don't really get to spend much time with them. They love each other though and have loads of room and different toys/tunnels etc, they don't seem bothered with people at all.

If I had more money and some land attached to the house, I would definitely have 43 rabbits! :D

For me I like having the one group. I work full time and have 2 young children. I could make time for more but I wouldn't want to as I can give this group good lives without it taking over my life. :wave:

Mine is 2... If i am being honest, i believe my set up to be good but factoring in health/vet coats, qny more than 2 would be an issue if i had more 'sick' bunnies...

I simply cant imagine having any more than 2...

8-10 seems to be it for me. When it was 12 or more, things were a bit more stressful when they became ill and somehow an extra 2 or 4 made more work than 10 :? The worst is when one of a pair dies and can't be bonded into other pairs or with singles and then we have had to go and adopt somebun new and compatible with widowed bunny. Its how we ended up with so many in the last 3 years. I don't really don't want it to happen again but I do want my rabbits to be happy and have the best so its a bit of an ongoing cycle really.

I have 4, and that's definitely my limit.
Slow bonding Doris and Pepper at the same time as nursing Finx with her broken leg has been trying! :D

I can't actually begin to imagine the stress levels of that. :shock: Just one at a time was bad enough!!

This.
As you know Jane, Vince stopped eating last night and had to be rushed to the vets. In the consult room I was saying to my husband ' no more, I can't take it.'
Thank goodness he pulled through. I wouldn't of been able to cope with the heartache two weeks before my due date, I'm a bag of emotions as it is.
A few weeks back I was contemplating getting more but this has really shook me up. They are honestly so much hard work emotionally. The vet said I'll be worrying about my baby more in a few weeks but I honestly don't think that is a comparison. I'm sure you get what I mean.

This.
As you know Jane, Vince stopped eating last night and had to be rushed to the vets. In the consult room I was saying to my husband ' no more, I can't take it.'
Thank goodness he pulled through. I wouldn't of been able to cope with the heartache two weeks before my due date, I'm a bag of emotions as it is.
A few weeks back I was contemplating getting more but this has really shook me up. They are honestly so much hard work emotionally. The vet said I'll be worrying about my baby more in a few weeks but I honestly don't think that is a comparison. I'm sure you get what I mean.

When I used to be in the stress of a bunny stasis episode (very very often), I used to rant to my OH 'When in the future I am thinking of having bunnies again, remind me of this!!!!' :lol:

This.

I tried to PM you to ask how Vince was doing today but your Inbox was full !! So glad to hear that he's recovered :love:

I tried to PM you to ask how Vince was doing today but your Inbox was full !! So glad to hear that he's recovered :love:

Thanks Jane. He perked up with a few hours of being home and slowly started eating hay. Hubby and I stayed up until midnight until I could not stay awake any longer and went to bed. My husband woke me at 3am after checking on him to say he was back to normal. :love: It's this what I absolutely hate about rabbits - their unpredictability. The way they can fall ill so quickly. I know they are prey animals and hide it well but V was playing three hours before. They really are nightmare pets. I wish I didn't love them so much. Can't imagine not having them. Arrgh. :lol:

Originally the decision was made for me not to have more (OH is allergic) but I really don't know how I've coped with 3 this long. Had I been able to get a fourth so I could have two pairs or a quad I would've been okay with that but three singles is not ideal. I love each of them in their own way. They are fantastic to relate to individually. But with three cats and two dogs (and we used to have two bigger dogs when Mimzy first came home) it's too much. I can't give equal attention to each animal and I feel bad when any of them are shorted. :(

Three separate bunny habitats are a nightmare to upkeep as well. They can't be free range in our place and that's nothing short of tragic. I would've loved to have seen them all zooming about and flopping wherever they pleased. I do feel that although they are cared for and comfortable they are not enjoying the best they could have, so in that respect I have failed them.

Originally the decision was made for me not to have more (OH is allergic) but I really don't know how I've coped with 3 this long. Had I been able to get a fourth so I could have two pairs or a quad I would've been okay with that but three singles is not ideal. I love each of them in their own way. They are fantastic to relate to individually. But with three cats and two dogs (and we used to have two bigger dogs when Mimzy first came home) it's too much. I can't give equal attention to each animal and I feel bad when any of them are shorted. :(

Three separate bunny habitats are a nightmare to upkeep as well. They can't be free range in our place and that's nothing short of tragic. I would've loved to have seen them all zooming about and flopping wherever they pleased. I do feel that although they are cared for and comfortable they are not enjoying the best they could have, so in that respect I have failed them.

Same here on both these. If only they would bond into a group of eight ...

Right now the two I have is all I can have but id love more

I'd say my limit would be two trios - one set living in a massive kennel/shed/run space outside and one set being house rabbits - though I'd feel bad deciding between who goes inside and who goes out? :lol:

Eta : okay I think I could cope with 8 rabbits maximum...ill have a pair of rabbits in the upstairs of the house too :lol:

This time last year I had three pairs - although I don't regret taking on a third pair in hindsight it would have been so much easier sticking with two. When we lost Herbie earlier in the year coping with a threesome and a pair was so much easier on the practicality front but no less easy really on the financial front.

With the breakdown of the bond in the trio and Hollie going to live with my daughter I am now back to two pairs. I certainly wouldn't have more than this again living with me. If I ever reach a point where I have one pair I would stop at this - simply because of potential vet's bills. The last 18 months hit my credit card hard.

MY limit and my partners limit are two different things :lol:

If it was only up to me I'd have at least 6-8 bunnies I think. A few pairs and maybe a trio one day!

But my partner isn't keen on having any more. He didn't grow up with pets they had NONE at all, which personally I find completely weird...

I can't imagine being without any pets at all. Life is boring without them. :lol:

I have 4 at the moment, I've never had any more than 4. I will not be continuing the cycle as in future I would rather stick to one pair/one group. I would probably then foster for a rescue so I would have residents coming in and out without the permanent baggage.

I love having two pairs :love: however after all of Flopsys health problems and special needs, it becomes very tiring. It's almost as if he gets all the attention. It's hard work looking after a special needs bunny, but so so worth it :love:'

I admire you Jane and others with multiple 'special needs' bunnies. I wouldn't be able to cope with more than 1. :love:

If they didn't get poorly ever and they lived forever and didn't break my heart when they die, I would have a houseful. However I work too and there is only so much a person can do physically and rabbits are a lot of hard work, cleaning and entertaining.

If I worked from home I might consider another pair.

So for me, 2 is enough.

I know of people who have lots but they are cared for and loved very much so i think it's entirely a subjective choice thing. I could probably care for and have space for more bunnies but I just don't want to. :oops: so for me, too many is when you cant provide a good standard of care and love.

Back