• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do your partners deal with your buns?

When we got Louie I told my OH that he was going to be a freerange houserabbit, OH just said "Oh, ok" :D

He is great with Louie and the piggies, feeds them, cleans them out, everything really!

Aw its nice to hear how your ohs are with your buns. I love Belgium Hares! Theyre gorgeous! My hubby has been looking at guinea pigs recently on you tube lol. He is making me a decent rain cover for the rabbits today. I wonder if wanting a husbun for Bella in the spring is pushing my luck :)

That's really funny... looking at guinea pigs! My OH said no more bunnies... pleeease, 2 is enough, but I've caught him looking at the guinea pig cottages online and coo-ing over any piggies that we do see :roll:
They are funny, the men folk :lol:
With regards to getting a husband for Bella, just keep going steady away with your plans and then announce it when the time is right... remain calm in response to any mini tantrum you may or may not receive and I'm sure it will soon be over... if he's anything like my OH, he'll soon forget he had any doubts and pretend it was all his idea :lol: :thumb:
Good Luck x

My OH was the one who wanted the house rabbits in the first place. Now, he moans about them. Apparently they are destructive and there is hay everywhere and especially now Fudge is ill and lost her litter training - he finds it hard to deal with. He said the other day we're never having more house rabbits, although I've agreed with the caveat that Truffle gets a new friend of similar age when Fudge dies, as she will be too young to be on her own for the rest of her life.

The outside rabbits are mine, and he is fairly indifferent to them. He HATES the Runaround in the garden though.

My hubby tolerates the bunnies.. Only just.. he will go out in the morning and give them a wee fibrefirst stick because he thinks they look 'hungry' , he will sit out in the summer and watch them.

He has slabbed the garden, put up a shed and paid for a lot of the bunnies stuff but hates the space they use, hates the mess of hay in the garden and thinks the bunnies are a nuisance.. He has made it quite clear that should either of my bunnies pass on, we will NOT be getting any more..:shock:

My husband loves them as much as me and is happy to give them m ads of space. They get used to the idea I think especially when they know they really don't have a choice :)

It was my OH that first planted the idea of getting a rabbit, he mentioned his friend having a house bunny and that's when it started!
Then we saw Benji in P@H and fell in love. :love:

The bunnies have always been 'ours' not just mine. We buy all of their food between us, and the housing when we got them, and we clean them out together everyday. I do the inside and he does the outside. :)

He has always known that I am an animal lover, so he was happy for me to read up on how to look after bunnies properly. He wasn't as happy when he realised how much it was going to cost to give them all the space they needed. But that's not because he doesn't love them, he is just the more level headed and realistic one. He loves the bunnies just as much as me, it's just usually me that insists on giving them a big clean out or changing things around. He loved Benji and Daisy, and was devastated when they passed away.

He even commissioned a painting to be done of Benji for me for Christmas, and paid for us to get Benji and probably Daisy as well cremated.

It is me that buys all of their toys, but that's because I get over excited and genuinely enjoy buying them new things. However, it was him not that long ago that insisted on making a see-saw for them... :lol:

Last edited:
My hubby tolerates the bunnies.. Only just.. he will go out in the morning and give them a wee fibrefirst stick because he thinks they look 'hungry' , he will sit out in the summer and watch them.

He has slabbed the garden, put up a shed and paid for a lot of the bunnies stuff but hates the space they use, hates the mess of hay in the garden and thinks the bunnies are a nuisance.. He has made it quite clear that should either of my bunnies pass on, we will NOT be getting any more..:shock:

Your hubby sounds just like my OH, he will give them a treat and watch them but will NOT sweep up poops or clean them out in any way. He will help me with things if I ask though (normally I don't) he wasn't happy at first when I wanted to build the enclosure but now he can see how much they love it and I don't think he minds as much any more.

My OH has too reminded me on many occasions if anyone were to leave us we would not be getting any more, I have always said I will always have bunnies, so we will see how that goes. But Milo and Finn will be around for a long time yet *touch wood* x

Sarah1991 and Fee: my OH also won't do the cleaning! Well, OK, he will if I'm not there for a night or whatever and has been warned in advance and shown what to do etc. BUT he's super-happy to feed and stroke, and help build houses that are suitable and challenge my decisions (often for the better, or to find out if I actually know what I'm talking about) AND has said that of course Lopsy needs a friend and, if one or both of them die and their accommodation is still viable, we can start on the process I've always wanted to do: rescue the bunny that's been in the rescue longest ;P

I also caught him secretly feeding Lopsy some brambles the other night :O He sneaked them in because they'd started to grow in the way and he could identify them in the streetlight :) So yeah, he's happy to do all the nice stuff, but not the messy things, and that's generally, not just with bunnies!

:lol:.... They must secretly love them... Obviously they are too 'manly' to admit to loving teensy wee wabbits!!!

Mine doesn't really do the cleaning either. Once in a blue moon he'll do it if I ask, but 99% of the time it's left to me. In fact, 99% of all housework is left to me!

My OH isn't an animal person at all really, but he knows how much I love them and for that reason he tolerates them (and I think he likes them really, he would give them treats and he helped me look after Cupcake when she was first really poorly). He would do their food and water if I really needed him to (ie., I was away or so ill that I couldn't get out of bed) but he wouldn't clean them or do any of the messy stuff. I wouldn't expect him to either, they're my pets not his, he never asked for them. It'll be the same if/when we get a dog. He doesn't want one, but I do so it'll be my responsibility.

He doesn't DISlike animals, he just doesn't see the appeal and sees them as a hindrance (he likes to travel). The fact that he's never had a pet doesn't help. He's fine with me having a reasonable sized set up though, and is keen to go to B&Q and price up all the materials :lol:

Sorry ladies I didnt even know half of you had replied! Well hubby has said I can get Bella a friend nxt spring! Didn't take much persuasion really but then with Woody's vet bills atm I think ill need to lay off talking to him about it lol but he did say I have to get one from a local rescue so they can help bond because we dont have the space or housing to keep a rabbit seperate whilst we bond them. So for now im keeping quite and hopefully Woody will recover fully and harmony will be resumed and come spring when we have our new set up, I can get a male friend for Bella ♥♥♥ id love another rex ♥ ♥ ♥

My OH makes out he hates them, but he's secretly warming up to them :lol: he especially loves my girls :love: he wasn't keen on their names, but since he had to look after them for me whilst I was in Costa Rica, he's fallen under their spell :lol: he says they licked him every night and he now calls them Lady Jacquetta and Little Kathy :roll::lol: which makes a change from Ducati I suppose :lol:

Since I've been back, he complains that I don't feed them enough pellets (they get an egg cup full each at night) so after I go to bed, he sneaks them more food :roll::lol: I fed them last night about 8pm & he checked them about 1am & woke me up to tell me they had no water :shock: they did when I said good night, but he was all (jokingly) huffy about it & went and filled all the bottles up, saying they never had empty bottles when he looked after them :lol:

He still hates Slipper though & calls Blueberry "the collaborator" :roll: no matter what I say, he blames Slipper for Badger's death and wasn't impressed that Blueberry bonded with Slipper and not Blackavar. He loved Badger & Blueberry, especially Blueberry's bounciness and he called Badger his miniature hero :love: he cried when Badger died :cry:

He has built them their hutches, but insists they stay in their room and not anywhere else in the house. Fair enough, he is allergic to my girls. He does say no more when they go, which hopefully won't be for many many years as my girls aren't even 1 yet and Blackavar and Slipper are only three. When it does happen, it's tough, I will still have bunnies. Just not 6! :lol:

My OH makes out he hates them, but he's secretly warming up to them :lol: he especially loves my girls :love: he wasn't keen on their names, but since he had to look after them for me whilst I was in Costa Rica, he's fallen under their spell :lol: he says they licked him every night and he now calls them Lady Jacquetta and Little Kathy :roll::lol: which makes a change from Ducati I suppose :lol:

Since I've been back, he complains that I don't feed them enough pellets (they get an egg cup full each at night) so after I go to bed, he sneaks them more food :roll::lol: I fed them last night about 8pm & he checked them about 1am & woke me up to tell me they had no water :shock: they did when I said good night, but he was all (jokingly) huffy about it & went and filled all the bottles up, saying they never had empty bottles when he looked after them :lol:

He still hates Slipper though & calls Blueberry "the collaborator" :roll: no matter what I say, he blames Slipper for Badger's death and wasn't impressed that Blueberry bonded with Slipper and not Blackavar. He loved Badger & Blueberry, especially Blueberry's bounciness and he called Badger his miniature hero :love: he cried when Badger died :cry:

He has built them their hutches, but insists they stay in their room and not anywhere else in the house. Fair enough, he is allergic to my girls. He does say no more when they go, which hopefully won't be for many many years as my girls aren't even 1 yet and Blackavar and Slipper are only three. When it does happen, it's tough, I will still have bunnies. Just not 6! :lol:

Know what you mean. If I still want to have them by then I wont have eight! One set up is easily enough for me.

Know what you mean. If I still want to have them by then I wont have eight! One set up is easily enough for me.

Agreed! I could manage up to a quad in one setup but not three pairs in three setups! Cleaning day kills me! :oops:

Agreed! I could manage up to a quad in one setup but not three pairs in three setups! Cleaning day kills me! :oops:
Oh god I know what you mean! My 3 are all seperated atm so 3 separate set ups, 1 is inside so not as bad but I cant wait until I can get Woody back with Jessie.

They're not my bunnies, they're our bunnies.

He loves them to bits, he surprised me with a bun cam just a few days ago so we can check in on them and even talk to them when we're at work... :oops:

My hubby is OK he did clean them when I was in Hpl but only litter trays he wouldn't do it unless I'm out of action :roll:

He will feed them for me if I'm out really early for work or back after 9pm :roll: and I do catch him with Stu as he will be picked up for a cuddle :lol: Nd it's quite funny watching him do the boys in the summer house as they have a tendency to run around feet looking for treats and my Hubby is quite a clumsy bloke and he will deny it but I think he quite enjoys the bunnies :D

Back