• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you give oral abx to a bunny...

Going to try a combination of things over the next couple of days, as its daily anyway, so we have basil, we have nana, we have bread and we have FC's. Lets see eh? lol

For Walter we used to put it on a little bit of bread and wrap that in a basil leaf and we never had a problem. I think he secretly quite liked it though.

I can get bisolvon into smudge fine, dissolve it on some brocolli and he gobbles it up.

but..

As soon as the baytril goes onto something he knows it! I'm not sure if it's the smell or what but he wont touch it.

We then have to try syringing it but no luck, it ends up everywhere but his mouth.

So today, we are on a stronger ABX and i'm injecting him. Vet taught me the other day and hopefully it will won't be as stressful for him as chasing him with a syringe.

Did you know there are two different flavours of Septrin? There is supposedly banana flavour (yukk - smells like bubblegum) and there is a sort of fennel/aniseed flavour.

I find mine love the aniseed flavour.

It is a different strength so you need a different dosage but it really does go in SO much easier!!!

Ask your vet!

Does Biscuit like apple or pineapple juice? Barney likes apple (the cloudy kind), and I give him a few mls is a syringe now and then as a treat. I started this when he was on Baytril and he willingly drinks from it now and its not scary. The more diluted the meds are with juice the better! Before I managed this though i used to get him on my chest, bring my knees up so he is laying on them and then lean him back holding onto his paws so he cant twist. When he is on his back he likes to have his back paws up on my chest and then I hold his front ones. You can just drip the liquid onto their lips/tongue slowly and they should lick it off, if you go slowly they wont get it down the wrong hole. I have been practicing this with Flopsy too and he is a similar size to Biscuit and Ginger, I just have to hold onto his feet more firmly. I dont know if this will help but good luck!

Back