• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did you cure sore hocks? U/D Reached decision

Peanuts sore hocks were a resultof an abcess inside which you couldnt see, which was the result of having dodgy ligaments, again, nothing obvious After three vets seeing him, the fourth realised what was up and he i snow on the mend.

I think for a bun with 'normal' sore hocks, they never heal up 100% because you cannot make a bun rest as such.

have you tried the honey i suggested on your other thread, it was vet recommended!

If you trusted your vet you wouldn't need to ask on a forum!

Funny how I am sure the same person did an identical thread a few days ago, wound genuine members up and then went quiet for a week!

What a waste of forum space and everyone's time when the kind and knowledgeable (AND FAR TOO PATIENT) members could be giving life saving advice out to someone who really needs it!

I have a bun with sore hocks at the mo... he is on intensive treatment which is not prescription which has been fully disgussed with my vet, due to other health problems he can't have antibiotics at the minute. He seems to be slowly on the mend and if it does not get 100% better I WILL CHANGE VET IF I HAVE TO AND DO WHATEVER PEOPLE ADVISE IS BEST FOR THE RABBIT. Not all vets are right - like one of ours who was about to give a myxo & vhd jab our rabbit during the same appointment. Needless to say I do not see this vet anymore!

I could leave the sore hocks 12 months and faff on forums asking the same question every week, then hope no-one reports me the the RSPCA! Hope no-one calls your bluff by reporting you cos they think you really are causing suffering and neglecting health needs of your rabbit. I am quite tempted!

Sorry to all genuine folks but if this lady is bored she needs to play solitaire! Clearly taking the p*ss out of everyone on here can members be banned?

Funny how I am sure the same person did an identical thread a few days ago, wound genuine members up and then went quiet for a week!

What a waste of forum space and everyone's time when the kind and knowledgeable (AND FAR TOO PATIENT) members could be giving life saving advice out to someone who really needs it!

I have a bun with sore hocks at the mo... he is on intensive treatment which is not prescription which has been fully disgussed with my vet, due to other health problems he can't have antibiotics at the minute. He seems to be slowly on the mend and if it does not get 100% better I WILL CHANGE VET IF I HAVE TO AND DO WHATEVER PEOPLE ADVISE IS BEST FOR THE RABBIT. Not all vets are right - like one of ours who was about to give a myxo & vhd jab our rabbit during the same appointment. Needless to say I do not see this vet anymore!

I could leave the sore hocks 12 months and faff on forums asking the same question every week, then hope no-one reports me the the RSPCA! Hope no-one calls your bluff by reporting you cos they think you really are causing suffering and neglecting health needs of your rabbit. I am quite tempted!

Sorry to all genuine folks but if this lady is bored she needs to play solitaire! Clearly taking the p*ss out of everyone on here can members be banned?

What is your problem? I have asked on this forum just to see if any rabbits really get cured from sore hocks and how in their opinion, they are best treated. My vet is the best rabbit vet around so I trust what he says that they are fine and just need cream. I care deeply for my rabbits and my other pets, so don't you dare say that I mistreat them and that I'm causing them suffering. Why not start on really bad people who let their rabbits teeth grow far too long, or keep rabbits in the dark in a 3ft hutch with mix food and no run? :censored:

How rude are you :roll:

I am pointing out that you started several other threads asking the same question, then arguing with people when they gave you advice, I have read all your previous threads - and I am getting tired of looking for advice on sore hocks just to find another post from you asking the same question you did last week. :twisted:

Stop reading them then. :?

Lionheadlover - I would print off all the advice you've been given & possibly discuss it with your vet, if the sudocrem isn't clearing it up. If left, sore hocks can get serious as an infection can get up the leg, so it is important to try & find a permanent solution.

I know it's easier to get one line answers when you ask a question - I'm the same - very lazy at reading a long post, but I think people are getting upset at repeating themselves. The advice you have been given so far, covers everything, so I'd get all that in front of you & take it from there. If you've tried all those things, & you still get no joy, then by all means start another thread. At least you can be 100% sure you've tried everything before some random stranger launches a forum attack on you.

But some people say bandaging is good, others say it does more harm than good. If I put anything on her hocks, she'll just lick it off or it'll rub off on its own. So really, I don't know what to do.

Winston has very poorly feet that will never get better! That was a vet who said that as they are too badly damaged, best thing is protecting them in first case but...
We have tried everything creams etc bandages, although it looked like one cream was working it then stopped and they looked sore again our rabbit vet said best thing is to leave them NO creams etc as its best to let air at them. We did and they started to lose the heat from them (heat in feet is bad sign it means bone is getting infected, once that happens nowt you can do) Winston is on metacam for life and his dosage is starting to come down now. We are also trying herbal remedies which seem to be working.
We have carpeted hutch so wood shavings dont dig in to them. If you have otdoor bun best to let play on grass as much as poss or soft soil (might have to get digging) as this is the best thing for feet.

She'll go back onto grass in April, so that should hopefully help her feet. Everywhere she goes is soft so I don't really know what I am doing wrong. They are getting redder by the day but not spreading. Should I stop the cream, and just leave her to it?

If your using a pressure bandage which has been taped onto the foot then the affected area can still breath, and as it will be out of contact with any irritants you could then try stopping all topical applications and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know how well it would stay on without covering bandage but I'm sure you could work something out through trial & error.

Dermagel is the best thing for encouraging tissue and hair growth its about £10 for a toothpaste tube full and it really does work!!

Dermagel is the best thing for encouraging tissue and hair growth its about £10 for a toothpaste tube full and it really does work!!

Where do you get it from? Should I use under bandage?

ETA: I've decided to let Molly rest for now, and not put any cream on until I get some bandage material next week, as the cream is not helping at all.

Last edited:
But some people say bandaging is good, others say it does more harm than good. If I put anything on her hocks, she'll just lick it off or it'll rub off on its own. So really, I don't know what to do.

I definitely would use bandage. The reason they say don't use bandage is that they want the wound to breathe

but I have use non-sterile pad on my bun before, reasonably air tight, and the wound still heals very nicely

hey lionheadlover, i know how difficult and frustrating it is when you ask for advice and try things and it doesnt get better. you may have to accept that, if you have genuinely tried everything suggested here, and given each time to work as necessary, then there is no more advice this forum can give. I am in a similar situation, where i cant seem to get my rabbits sore hocks to heal - indi's are worse than Phoenix's but the live in the exact same conditions so clearly there is an individual difference between rabbits. As i said in a PM to you, perhaps rubber matting under the straw in the run would be a good idea, to add extra padding over the concrete. Sometimes you just have to be patient and accept that whatever cream/gel/bandage you use will work but only given a lot of time and patience, and that its likely to reoccur at certain times of year or in certain conditions. as i said, its annoying and frustrating but there is unlikely to be a definitive, miracle cure!

Back