• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jellys heart issues and sore hocks

Alicia

Mama Doe
Jelly has a heart condition and is on frusol and pimobendan 3x daily. The side effects of this means she wees a lot more and I don't know if she wees on herself or just sits in it but she's often got a wet back end or smells like pee. She lives in the shed and the floor is non slip lino and she has some vetbed areas and a section covered in hay. I'm often having to clean her back end and I feel like I'm failing. I'm so worried about summer and fly strike because no matter how much I clean it never seems to be enough.

I've also now noticed she has the beginning of sore hocks and I don't know what to do. I wondered about taking her back to the vet, what should I do? I've ordered some rearguard. I'm sweeping and mopping the floor every other day but may have to do daily now but I'm only using fairy liquid to wash the floor is there something better? I'm still seeing flies in the shed despite those sticky fly things and lots of spiders in there. I'm cleaning as much as I can but I can't keep up with how much Jelly pees. I would keep her inside but shes bonded to Felix and he hates being inside

Rearguard isn't the best option if it is likely to be washed off - either by bum baths or from urine - or if the skin is sore from urine scald. F10 germicidal wound spray is a better option. It can be reapplied daily if needed and can be used on broken skin. It's also cheaper. Just don't use it where cats can come into contact with it.

Puppy pads will soak up urine. You can put them under something like a towel, if needed. You can also get washable incontinence pads if you want a non-disposable option.

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/f10-germici...ysSoEKf2Fu4dSAzCcYiJq1zFH2-Q1YakaArVnEALw_wcB

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/quilted-puppy-training-pads-60-x-60cm-100pk-330687

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404153196086?hash=item5e19685e36:g:rgEAAOSwoZRj5QBt

Can she live indoors now, given her condition ? Her environment will need cleaning several times a day, especially as the weather warms up and blow flies appear on the scene.

I would get her re-assessed by the Vet too. She should be being regularly monitored, including blood tests, if she’s on diuretics and pimobendan. She might need a barrier cream to protect her skin from urine scalding. If her hocks are now sore she will need some form of analgesia and a topical treatment. I have found Derbymed SCP Spray to be useful for sore hocks

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Thank you both, I have 2 cats who often follow me into the shed, as long as I keep them out the shed is that ok. Jelly goes in the garden too, if I used the wound spray and then let her in the garden would that be a risk to my cats?

I would bring them in Jane but I'm worried about Felix, he just freezes inside, we've tried it before. I'm not sure what to do for the best.

My vet regularly sees Jelly and keeps an eye on her weight, he's suggested blood tests but I think that was for further diagnostics. I don't know whether to take her back to the vet.

I will pick up some puppy pads today, she doesn't tend to chew things but I'll keep an eye on that

Personally I’d be very wary of using F10 if I also had Pet Cats. I might be being over cautious though.

The reason blood tests are needed is to monitor renal function as heart disease can affect the kidneys and the dose of diuretic would need to be adjusted if renal function is found to be compromised. So the tests wouldn’t be for monitoring purposes as opposed to just a diagnostic tool.

If she is to remain outdoors I would advise investing in good fly screen netting to completely cover the accommodation.

Back