• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hovis (Nibbles as was) isn't eating much

Just a really quick reply as I have a client at noon and have to drive there. Have just dashed home to check on Dylan who is really poorly and will probably be going to the Bridge later today :(

On a happier note I am pleased to report that HOVIS IS EATING. Quite a few SS and most of the forage had gone, also half the bowl of water. I haven't picked him up or touched him at all this morning, just gave him some more food and am leaving him quietly.

I could take him with me to the vet later but I really don't think it is necessary and that it would stress him out again. However, he is your bun Sam and if you think I should, then I will. If he was my bun I wouldn't take him as I think he is eating enough to keep his gut working. We have had more poos today too:D

He wasn't dehydrated yesterday - I checked his skin response and it was fine.

I wouldn't start bonding him if he wasn't eating normally but I am hopeful that by Sunday he will be more settled and relaxed.

Just a really quick reply as I have a client at noon and have to drive there. Have just dashed home to check on Dylan who is really poorly and will probably be going to the Bridge later today :(

On a happier note I am pleased to report that HOVIS IS EATING. Quite a few SS and most of the forage had gone, also half the bowl of water. I haven't picked him up or touched him at all this morning, just gave him some more food and am leaving him quietly.

I could take him with me to the vet later but I really don't think it is necessary and that it would stress him out again. However, he is your bun Sam and if you think I should, then I will. If he was my bun I wouldn't take him as I think he is eating enough to keep his gut working. We have had more poos today too:D

He wasn't dehydrated yesterday - I checked his skin response and it was fine.

I wouldn't start bonding him if he wasn't eating normally but I am hopeful that by Sunday he will be more settled and relaxed.

I am very sorry to hear that Dylan is so poorly and that you may have to say goodbye. :cry::cry:

Thank god Hovis is picking up. I agree, I think he is doing fine in his own time and will get there, it is just a matter of getting over the stress quietly and getting his tum moving along again properly.
Unfortunately in rabbits the skin tenting test is not always a good indicator of hydration as rabbits withdraw the water from their intestines first and you can often get quite dried impacted ingesta internally and yet still produce a good skin tent response with mild dehydration. However, that he has drunk half a bowl of water is extremely encouraging and will do him the world of good. We had aircon in the car, on and off, to keep him and us cool as quite a bit of sun on the journey, and this can dehydrate too. However, he sounds like he is getting there. x

Don't be silly with the vets bills...It's not your fault he ate the pillowcase...I do appreciate the offer though :D

We wouldn't try bonding untill he was back on form....We'll see how he is at the weekend and make a decision then I think.

Do you think it might be worth giving him a little metaclop/cam or should we ruile out bloickage of some sort first?

I disagree, I should have known better than to put bedding in with a rabbit I didn't know - it does pose a risk. I am sorry for that :cry: However, he does sound like he is on the mend now so I would keep stress to a minimum definitely so only vets if he doesn't continue to improve or has a crisis (stops eating/pooing fully).

Metclopramide and ranitidine (zantac) would both probably benefit him BUT considering he ate the cotton pillowcase I would be very reluctant to give him anything until a vet had examined him and ruled out any obstruction, although the continued eating and droppings indicates he is apparently OK. It's your call really, I think I would give him a bit longer now seeing as how well he is doing so far today... but if he deteriorates or doesn't improve then yes I would have him checked over. Keeping stress to the minimum I think it paramount at the moment and giving drugs and vet trips would not be keeping it to the minimum. See how he is. I would review it a day at a time. :wave:

Jeez had missed all this :shock:

C'mon Hovis Bunny - keep nomming and pooping Mr.

I'm sure as PL says its a mild stressed based Ileus - Mr B is very much the same :roll: He's had a very confusing few days!

He is still very nervous but he is eating and drinking. I have more or less left him alone to settle in (obviously checking him periodically to make sure he is OK). He will need a water bowl as he won't touch a bottle for some reason but is good and doesn't tip his bowl up (like my buns do).

He will eat spring greens (which is handy as that is what my lot have regularly). He also loves carrot and broccoli stalks but I am being more sparing with those. I've noticed he is very good with his SS - he more or less rations it himself.

What I am totally amazed about is how clean he is. I have not had one stray dropping or wee - everything goes in his litter tray which is a relief as he is on carpet. I sooooo wish my own indoor buns were like that. Sam is VERY lucky as Marnie is well trained with her litter tray too.

Hovis definitely needs a friend. I really think I will see his true personality when I start bonding. I know how desperate Marnie is for bunny company so I am cautiously optimistic it will be an easy bond.

Sam is bringing Marnie over on Sunday and helping me set up the pen in my bedroom so I am not expecting any sleep Sunday night :D Just as well I have the week off work.

I will be starting a separate bonding thread so anyone interested can watch progress - and I can get some support. Bonding can be a lonely process as I live alone.

Thank you for asking, Gray. I think Hovis is :love: and have already told Sam that if the bond doesn't work for any reason I would be happy to adopt him to bond with my trio but I really don't think that will be necessary.

He is still very nervous but he is eating and drinking. I have more or less left him alone to settle in (obviously checking him periodically to make sure he is OK). He will need a water bowl as he won't touch a bottle for some reason but is good and doesn't tip his bowl up (like my buns do).

He will eat spring greens (which is handy as that is what my lot have regularly). He also loves carrot and broccoli stalks but I am being more sparing with those. I've noticed he is very good with his SS - he more or less rations it himself.

What I am totally amazed about is how clean he is. I have not had one stray dropping or wee - everything goes in his litter tray which is a relief as he is on carpet. I sooooo wish my own indoor buns were like that. Sam is VERY lucky as Marnie is well trained with her litter tray too.

Hovis definitely needs a friend. I really think I will see his true personality when I start bonding. I know how desperate Marnie is for bunny company so I am cautiously optimistic it will be an easy bond.

Sam is bringing Marnie over on Sunday and helping me set up the pen in my bedroom so I am not expecting any sleep Sunday night :D Just as well I have the week off work.

I will be starting a separate bonding thread so anyone interested can watch progress - and I can get some support. Bonding can be a lonely process as I live alone.

Thank you for asking, Gray. I think Hovis is :love: and have already told Sam that if the bond doesn't work for any reason I would be happy to adopt him to bond with my trio but I really don't think that will be necessary.

He was part of my first ever bunny run, so im definately taking an interest :)

Sounds like he's getting over if not over the rather stressful upheaval of being moved etc, will look forward to seeing the bonding thread :)

He was part of my first ever bunny run, so im definately taking an interest :)

Sounds like he's getting over if not over the rather stressful upheaval of being moved etc, will look forward to seeing the bonding thread :)

Yes, I think he is slowly relaxing here. I've left him in the same room as Mr Banoffee Pie as it is company of a sort and it would have been difficult to find another space for him that is cat and bunny free (I only have a small house).

I wish I could have started the bonding sooner but sadly work didn't permit it. It is probably better in a way that I have had to wait until he is less stressed. Physically he is fine now, just lonely for bunny love.

I've done a few bun runs now and it's wonderful to follow the buns' stories so I know what you mean, Gray.

I too have been wondering how he is getting on. Very pleased to hear he has relaxed and resumed normal eating/drinking. That is a great relief. Fingers crossed the bond goes well. He truly is very beautiful! :love:

I too have been wondering how he is getting on. Very pleased to hear he has relaxed and resumed normal eating/drinking. That is a great relief. Fingers crossed the bond goes well. He truly is very beautiful! :love:

He certainly is. I have really struggled to leave him alone and not to keep stroking him but he needed that space. I really hope the bond works but if it doesn't I have fallen in love with him. Fortunately, I spend a lot of time at Sam's so I will be able to snuggle Hovis even after he goes to his forever home.

He certainly is. I have really struggled to leave him alone and not to keep stroking him but he needed that space. I really hope the bond works but if it doesn't I have fallen in love with him. Fortunately, I spend a lot of time at Sam's so I will be able to snuggle Hovis even after he goes to his forever home.

You certainly can :D

I hope the bond goes well too...it will be very odd not having Marnie Moo for our evening sofa cuddles though...but she will come home with a husbun to love which is what she needs :D

SO please to hear such a positive update:love::love:

Isn't he just crying out for bunny company though? He's never been bonded, but he craves other rabbit attention. All of the rabbits I have even know have shown a preference to having company of their own kind (albeit sometimes after several weeks of persuasion:lol:), but Hovis is the first that has shown an actual desperation for it If that makes sense?

I think he is so lonely he will accept being submissive to Marnie very quickly, I so hope so :love:

SO please to hear such a positive update:love::love:

Isn't he just crying out for bunny company though? He's never been bonded, but he craves other rabbit attention. All of the rabbits I have even know have shown a preference to having company of their own kind (albeit sometimes after several weeks of persuasion:lol:), but Hovis is the first that has shown an actual desperation for it If that makes sense?

I think he is so lonely he will accept being submissive to Marnie very quickly, I so hope so :love:

Furby and Faye were both desperate for bunny company. Furby had been a Lymington bun used for breeding and Faye had been with her siblings at BARC. They both hated being alone. It was the easiest bond I have ever done - instant love. I so hope Hovis and Marnie are similar.

How was he with the towel I gave you? What would you like me to bring for Marnies stay?I really hope it's an easy bond....Moomoo is desperate for someone to snuggle with....and maybe it means I'll be able to have a wee without her scrabbling on my leg or climbing me :roll:

How was he with the towel I gave you? What would you like me to bring for Marnies stay?I really hope it's an easy bond....Moomoo is desperate for someone to snuggle with....and maybe it means I'll be able to have a wee without her scrabbling on my leg or climbing me :roll:

Oh bless her! YOu can't even widdle in private:lol:

I am wishing you all the very bestest vibes for a swift bonding I think they will make a lovely couple:love::love::love:
You must be torn between horrible anxiety and such excitement!

Oh bless her! YOu can't even widdle in private:lol:

I am wishing you all the very bestest vibes for a swift bonding I think they will make a lovely couple:love::love::love:
You must be torn between horrible anxiety and such excitement!

Yup...that's exactly how I feel :lol:

I can't do ANYTHING in private....what with Rosie and Marnie everything is a spectator event :roll:

Marnie is being a naughty bun today...lets hope she's just getting it all out of her system before her big day tomorrow. Bunny hen night anyone?

Marnie is being a naughty bun today...lets hope she's just getting it all out of her system before her big day tomorrow. Bunny hen night anyone?

The mind boggles at the thought of a hen night organised by Marnie! :shock::lol::love:

AWWWW I bet she's picking up the excitement from you, Later you'll find her drunk behind the sofa with a ladder in her stockings and a wonky tiara on (or was that just me on my hen night?:oops::oops:)

Back