• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing ideas please

beki

Mama Doe
ruby has a hutch that is a double layer and nearly 5 foot wide by 2 and a half deep. She is currently indoors but will be moving back outside with reggie. Ruby is a medium size bunny about 2 kilos, reggie is small about 1.4 kilos. I would like housing ideas. Ideally i would want to put them back into the 2 layer hutch together. I do have a single layer hutch of just over 6 foot by about 2 foot but i think the double would give more space, and the 6 foot is hand made and not as secure as the other. I need to put a new door on it. Hopefully i can get a new hutch in the future but would have to save so it might not be til the summer at the earliest. a double 6 foot is what i would want really.

Anyway, i have an area of raised patio of an irregular shape, 6 foot wide at the shortest side and 9 foot at the widest, in a kind of trapezium shape. I would like them to live on here (added advantage is that i will be able to see them form the spare bedroom window). I had thought of an aviary of about 6 foot by 7, or perhaps with a few adaptions it could fit the full space. But have also wondered about a kennel with run but can't find one small enough. If i put a shed on there will be no space for an outdoor run.

I have been told by BF that there is no way i am taking over the whole patio (the lower patio is quite big but we are making that a dining and BBQ area) and as the raised patio is basically useless for anything the buns can live on there. We have a grassy area but my garden is not really suitable for a shed there as it slopes and it is very narrow. There is a concrete area at the top but i don't want to put the bunnies up there, as it is dark and i will probably break my neck getting up the very steep and rather unstable steps although i admit it would make a lovely bunny home area! it used to have a greenhouse on it so it is very flat and already concreted.

The bunny home area of raised patio is right next to the neighbors fence so anything will have to be built next to the boarder. Not too bothered about an eyesore for them as if you could see what they have done to their garden and the view from my window you wouldn't care either! the proposed bunny area will be right next to the neighbors "cooking hut" (they have a BBQ and stone oven in a hut outside) but as i plan on putting fences up and the back part of the housing area will be that way they should be away from any smoke. Not that the neighbors actually spend a lot of time in their garden in the summer anyway, they only had a BBQ once last year!

Anyway less of my neighbor rants, can anyone give me hints on what to do with this space?

Could you buy aviary panels so you can make one the exact shape you need and put the hutch inside - that way you could utilise the whole space?

I think stick with the double hutch and make a hole in the back of it as a doorway into the run. Build the run out of aviary panels and permanently fix it to the back of the hutch. Make the run as big as you can, but by the sounds of it that will be about 6ft x 6ft, I wouldn't bother trying to make an odd shaped run, it will be hard and maybe not as secure. If you make it square you can make it out of plain 6ft x 3ft avery panels and secure them together :)

so aviary panels it is :) i will take a picture of the space tomorrow. I will probably need solid panels on 2 sides as i have a lof of ivy on 2 of the boarders to the area and i know ruby will only eat it!

house for my rabbit

I was think from a lot time to buy or make a good small house for my little rabbit, but i have no idea how are the houses and where can i get a ready made one. I can't afford much so i need a low cost and comfortable house.

I was think from a lot time to buy or make a good small house for my little rabbit, but i have no idea how are the houses and where can i get a ready made one. I can't afford much so i need a low cost and comfortable house.

Does your rabbit live outside or inside?

Back