• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shed advice...

Benson

New Kit
Hi all, I've no rabbits yet but I'm planning a shed build for the future that will hopefully accommodate two rabbits, the shed will be 12ft long by 6ft wide, I plan on having a raised hutch within the shed as a sleeping/nest area, the reason I will have it raised off the ground is so it wont take away any of the floor space.

it will obviously be kitted out with all sorts of enrichment like toys, tubes, dig boxes etc...

Any thoughts on the set up?

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I have two rabbits who live outside in an 8x6 shed with a catflap into an additional outside area. I think that sheds are really great for bunnies. Mine don't have any separate sleeping area inside and tbh I'm not sure that they would use it as such. We have a camera which monitors them inside the shed and looking at the archive footage overnight, they tend to sleep in different areas different nights and they also move around a lot at night. They always have a large cardboard box, but they don't tend to sleep in there. It's used mainly for running in and out of.

I would insulate the walls with expanded polystyrene sheets and covered with sheets of external grade ply, paint the interior (any emulsion or exterior wood coating) and put down some non-slip vinyl on the floor. That makes it easy to clean (which also helps with disease control eg the EC parasite) and provides protection against temperature extremes.

Hi. I used to have 2 Rabbits in a similar sized shed. Had lino on the floor and 2 opening windows. I bought a second hand toddler bed and put ply on top of the slats and they loved that. On the top they had a big litter tray filled with Hay. They also had a big tunnel with a play tent attached.

Back