• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with my bunnies behaviour/can I train them?

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have two bunnies, Walter and Lola. Lola was the first, Walter was from a rescue and was absolutely timid for a while (had him about 18 months now). Then suddenly in the last month or so he has completely come out of his shell. But the problem is he had become rather over confident!

Troubles include:
1) Jumping onto the sofa when I am eatiing, leading to me coming home and finding poos and the occasional wee on the sofa

2) Pooing everywhere! I totally understand rabbits poos outside of their litter tray but this has gone from a few poos to poos everywhere!

3) Weeing everywhere! Again both were completely litter tray trained, and then they started doing some wees on their carpet runner, I then removed the runner because Walter doesn't seem bothered by the texture anymore and I thought that by removing it it would remove the smell. I also gave them another litter tray. (This problem seems to have resolved now, they just do it on the sofa instead!!)

4) They follow me everywhere!! (Not really a problem, just a bit wierd, considering they never used too!)

It may be worth mentioning that previously Walter wouldn't move of a carpetted area, would often bolt out of the way the moment anyone new came in the room. It was Lola who was cheeky and now he is much worse than her!!!!

I don't know if they are bored? They have each other, have a few toys, but have never been like this before. I am desperate to get them a tunnel (just trying to locate a long one!)

They are both neutered.

They eat mostly hay, a few pellets, herbs.

All advice very gratefully appreciated!

Kate, Walter and Lola xxx

There are two options you could try, one is to confine them to a more limited area and work on litter training in that space and then gradually increasing the area again once they've got back into the habit. The other option is to increase the litter trays so you put one in each hot spot (eg on the sofa!) and then once you've got them using the trays, you gradually decrease/move them to more appropriate spot.

White vinegar is very good for removing scent whilst working on the litter training.

For tunnels, try looking for cardboard/boxes and make your own :) Cardboard boxes of various sizes are good to link up and make play tunnels with.

Timing their dinner with yours may help with them bugging you at meal times :)

Sorry to butt in, but I have a very similar situation - one 6 year old male bun I've had from a baby, and a newly added (about 5 months ago) found as stray young french lop girl. Both were neutered about 5 months ago. They are free range house buns. The main problem with them is that they pee outside of their litter trays. They poo everywhere too and I don't mind that so much, but peeing is quite tiring. At first they had 2 litter trays - one corner one and one large underbed storage box, now there are four trays and they still pee outside of the boxes. They tend to pee outside of the boxes more when we are not in the room - either out or at night! They do their business in their litter boxes most of the time when I am in the room. The two seem pretty well bonded, they don't indulge in too much of a well loved up behaviour but they do occasionally lick each other and snuggle up to each other too. Is there anything that can be done to train them to pee in their loos? Is it a marking/territorial behaviour?

Back