• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help to make my bunnies' lives better

I think you could bond your giant with your others. Size doesn't matter to buns. There are some great threads on here about all the different bonding methods and people's experiences. :)

Your run looks great. My buns' favourite toys are cardboard boxes. Lots of shops who get daily deliveries will often give away boxes for free and you can just put them in or make mazes and or anything else you can think of and you can hide hay and treats in them. Either way they love them and when it rains I chuck them away (well recycle them) and just get some more.

I always find the more expensive the toy the less they play with it and they go crazy for the cheap and free stuff. Just like kids they'd rather play with the box it came in. :lol:

At the moment my rabbits fav toy is an *Umbrella. I hacked the handle off an old golf one and cut holes into it. They love hiding in it. |D

Such lovely rabbits <3

edit: Umbrella makes a great tent for the bunnies. plus if it starts to rain they can hid in it xD I once caught nextdoors cat hiding under it during a storm. I couldnt help but laugh at the poor thing |D

I would say to bond your giant with all your others :)

For tunnels have a look on the runaround site --> http://runaround.flyingcart.com/index.php?p=products&req=dept&id=2
The tunnels seem a good price and are meant to be really stron although I haven't actually bought anything from there myself

For hidey holes have a look on ebay for people sellin teeny tiny hutches, you could probally get them very cheap. Then just stuff with hay, leave the doors open and you've got a great little hidey and platform all at once :D

The room where the hutch is kept, (this is just me really thinking out of the box a little so ignore me if you like :lol:) could you make that into a space where they can free range? So, see if you could add a door or something, then create this amazing space inside where they can go and snuggle or watch the world go by. You could put some hay down in there and then make it all lovely :love: (I may be in dream land! :lol:)

This is what I was thinking. If you could make a part solid & part weld mesh door to go across the front of this space that would be fab! They could sit inside when the weather is bad and be snug when it's cold :wave:

I think the area they have is great and what rabbit wouldn't be happy living there:D Do you have any wire on the ground or are they able to dig out?

After looking at the pictures closely I would be concerned about foxes getting in, so firstly I would raise the fence and put some stronger wire on it, the thin mesh won't keep anything out, I would also be worried about any stray dogs and cats as they've been known to frighten rabbits too:D

Foxes can climb over 7 ft fences easily, and they are not only active during the night. Unless someone is ouside with the bunnies all the time, I would be worried about foxes, and also buzzards.
The best thing would be a shed with an aviary attached to it, then you can walk in and sit with the bunnies. You can get aviary panels on ebay and build it yourself. And for your giant (and future friend) you could get a playhouse with a tall run attached to it. It all depends on how much you can afford.

This is what I was thinking. If you could make a part solid & part weld mesh door to go across the front of this space that would be fab! They could sit inside when the weather is bad and be snug when it's cold :wave:

I like that idea, not sure if it would be possible in her barn. Will have a closer look on thursday. However if you extend the meshed run on their hutch ... The fleece covered bit in the picture for everyone else, they would be fine in that over night.

FYI - The rabbits have access to that area all day too, it is joined onto the rabbits garden. They are only in the hutch overnight.

They certainly have more space than most rabbits in their forever home. Everyone should be following your example.

I like that idea, not sure if it would be possible in her barn. Will have a closer look on thursday. However if you extend the meshed run on their hutch ... The fleece covered bit in the picture for everyone else, they would be fine in that over night.

FYI - The rabbits have access to that area all day too, it is joined onto the rabbits garden. They are only in the hutch overnight.

They certainly have more space than most rabbits in their forever home. Everyone should be following your example.

Unfortunately not all of us live in a fox or bird of prey free zone, so most would lose their rabbits;) this is why we have enclosures with strong wire to keep them safe:D

Unfortunately not all of us live in a fox or bird of prey free zone, so most would lose their rabbits;) this is why we have enclosures with strong wire to keep them safe:D

I don't think such a place exists does it? :? I certainly wouldn't be taking the risk & know many rescues that would not have rehomed where the run isn't totally secure :?

The total area they have is fab :D but I do think better protection is needed for your bunnies in terms of a secure run / aviary with a top on it. Whilst I understand you've never seen a fox or bird of prey in your area - sadly that doesn't meant they're not around in my book. It's just so not worth the risk.

Yes granted, i agree in the perfect world we would. Personally we cant have ours outside at all unsupervised because of our neighbours, however her set up is perfectly fine, for where she lives. Security is not an issue as this is something dan and i feel strongly about. Lara has learned a lot after the incident at christmas, so has made sure there is no issue with saftey.

No more so than for the average house bun either. How many people have their windows open in the summer with a house bun in the room? Risk of foxes and cats getting in through those. However that is not mentioned on any house bun threads.

Granted more toys but every bun could have more toys, although most dont even play with toys and would rather binky around and munch. The baby girls love tunnels and they have some in their new home, so they are happy.

Yes granted, i agree in the perfect world we would. Personally we cant have ours outside at all unsupervised because of our neighbours, however her set up is perfectly fine, for where she lives. Security is not an issue as this is something dan and i feel strongly about. Lara has learned a lot after the incident at christmas, so has made sure there is no issue with saftey.

No more so than for the average house bun either. How many people have their windows open in the summer with a house bun in the room? Risk of foxes and cats getting in through those. However that is not mentioned on any house bun threads.

Granted more toys but every bun could have more toys, although most dont even play with toys and would rather binky around and munch. The baby girls love tunnels and they have some in their new home, so they are happy.

You're missing the point though - it's not totally fine is it? As it isn't 110% totally secure. Regardless of whether anyone is at home all the time or not - it doesn't mean a predator will not take their chances if they can spot what they consider to be a meal! :?

The advice on security is being given because it has raised concerns - the whole area is fantastic & I wish all bunnies could have such space. However, IMO it is not totally secure - therefore putting the OP's bunnies at potential risk :( No matter how small the risk is, it is still a risk :?

Majority of us are aware this can happen and unfortunately has done in the past and it has been mentioned http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263026&highlight=foxes

We can never be 100% sure that our rabbits are safe, however, if you are aware there are problems, you do all you can to protect them, can we ask what the incident at Christmas was?

Yes no bun is 100% safe, nobody is. I read the other day about a pair of guineas being killed in an accident in the home, where a ceiling collapsed onto their cage. A fire could take place, a wall could come down, an earthquake, bomb.... we have them all in this country. You CANNOT cover for all of these.

The way some of these "advice" posts have been put across have seemed so harsh and cruel, maybe people should think about how they would feel if it was said to them that way.

I wouldnt be suprised if OP didnt post again. She is a lovely lady and cares for her animals and shouldnt be made to feel bad when she has a great set up.

Just remember that EVERYONE can improve the lives of their animals. Many chose not to, however she is doing so and will continue to do so. We as a rescue will help her in anyway possible.

In all fairness, she did ask herself 'Help to make my bunnies' lives better' & thats what we have been doing :? I don't think anyone has been rude or blunt :? I hope the OP doesn't think so either. She has a fantastic set up but can improve it, which everyone can do however she openly asked for ideas and thats what we have been doing.

Also, glad i'm not the only one with the idea of renovating the room! :lol:

Yes no bun is 100% safe, nobody is. I read the other day about a pair of guineas being killed in an accident in the home, where a ceiling collapsed onto their cage. A fire could take place, a wall could come down, an earthquake, bomb.... we have them all in this country. You CANNOT cover for all of these.

The way some of these "advice" posts have been put across have seemed so harsh and cruel, maybe people should think about how they would feel if it was said to them that way.

I wouldnt be suprised if OP didnt post again. She is a lovely lady and cares for her animals and shouldnt be made to feel bad when she has a great set up.

Just remember that EVERYONE can improve the lives of their animals. Many chose not to, however she is doing so and will continue to do so. We as a rescue will help her in anyway possible.

No one has been rude - if she has had an "incident" already then surely we are all here trying to prevent another one. Imagine as a rescue how you would feel if you had rehomed 4 rabbits that got killed by a dog or fox and you hadn't advised the person how to keep them safely, as it is I would not allow my rabbits in an enclosure like that, sorry, but I want them to be as safe as possible.

Surely even you can see that chicken wire is not strong enough? Yes the area they have is fantastic, but only if nothing or no one can get into them to harm them, as this person is new to the forum perhaps they are not aware of all the dangers?

101_0543.jpg

They can be seen at all times - this is from the window of the room that always have somebody in it.

This was taken on a raining day so all the chickens are in the outbuilding that you can see in the back of the photo but on nice day, they have access to the land which is fenced.

I know that it can be improved but I am afraid that I have to be very careful with my money. However, I will be taking all advices on board and try to ensure that they are safe as well as having as much fun as possible.

I won't be able to ensure that they are 100% safe at all time, nobody can say that their set ups are - it is just not possible. I know somebody who have a rabbit in a shed set up and a fox still manage to get in as it was just really hungry.
I will look at the building to see what I can achieve to make it into a room for them as that would save some money :)

I don't know what else to say, apart from thank you for all the replies, I will really have a think over the week and see what I can do.

It only takes a few seconds for a fox to come in and kill the bunnies. What if the person in the room needs to go to the toilet?

If want a low budget but slightly more secure enclosure, then put strong wire mesh all around the fence, and make a roof for the enclosure out of a strong net. It won't keep a fox out forever, but it could give you a few extra minutes to spot it before it gets into the enclosure. :) And it keeps out birds of prey. Pond netting could come in a big enough size.

I think it's a toss up between freedom and safety and everyone has their own views. A small and safe run versus a large and less safe enclosure. In my opinion a fox can still get into a run so I'd go for the larger enclosure. Just my opinion though.

I think it really depends on where you live. I'm always amazed at how some can let their buns free range outside but I guess they never see foxes or predatory birds in their area? I know it certainly wouldn't be possible where I live, due to the huge number of predatory birds, as well as raccoons and foxes (even seen them in the daytime), and dogs and cats.

Predatory birds WILL take animals with you right there. My duckling got taken by a hawk with me right there :cry::cry: I will never take chances on it. I also saw a couple months ago a hawk fly right in front of me, less than 10 ft, and try to grab a crane that was almost as long as the hawk's whole body (crane did get away by an inch).

Back