• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!! Should I give up?

Nettyi

New Kit
Hello to whoever is reading this,

Last Easter I bought a baby French Lop, Thumper, he lives in the house, mainly in the basement which leads onto the garden. He has access to all the house when we are home and loves to sit in the lounge watching TV. He behaves more like a cat! As we are out most of the day, I felt he could do with the company of his own kind. So, after having him neutered late December, we went along to the local rescue centre and chose him a mate. (they don't operate a dating service).

We chose Honey, a 2 year old spayed lion head. Brought her home and placed her in Thumpers very large dog crate he uses for food, litter tray etc, which is in the basement. Thumper hopped straight over to her, they sniffed each other through the bars and then he nipped her. Twice. Honey spent the rest of the evening ignoring Thumper with her back turned towards him.

I spent the following 10 days swapping them over as per instructions for bonding. The first introduction (5 mins) was held in the bathroom, (only neutral area)it went well with Honey snuggling up next to Thumper. The second date there was some aggression. The third date, Thumper humped Honey, tried for a second time and she wasn't having any of it! Their fourth date, some days later, Thumper tried as he usually does to hump Honey within the first few seconds of being let loose in her company. (even with distractions!) She wasn't interested, he backed away, she then was interested, kept going up to him, he obliged, afterwards they both belly flopped, looked happy, Thumper decided he wanted another go, she didn't, he chased her, she fought back and fur was pulled!All this in 15, 20 mins!

We kept them seperated for almost two weeks, on advice from rescue centre. Tried to introduce them again yesterday, in the garden, taking advantage of some decent weather. Thumper immediately went to hump Honey, we pulled him away, he ate some food, whilst Honey explored the garden, she came up to join him and eat, they both sat face to face, she looked like she was nibbling his face, affectionatley, she hopped off, he decided to have another go at humping her, she retaliated and a horrible fight broke out, which ended up with Thumper biting some of her fur AND skin!

I don't want to give up on her yet, but really don't want the stress of them fighting. I also don't want them living seperately which defeats the object of giving Thumper a companion.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with some advice on what to do next!

I'm really sorry but I know nothing about bonding rabbits! I just wanted to say good luck with it. Hopefully somebody useful will come along in a minute.

I will be reading this thread with interest Our two neutered bonded males have fallen out and had to be separated. They are now viciously aggressive when they see each other.

I have been swapping them over so they alternate in each others hutches until such a time as I can re-bond them properly again. I was hoping after a couple of weeks the aggression would calm down but it's not getting any better. They used to be happy and snuggly and it gets me down to think that they will have to be kept separated for good.

From reading your thread it sounds as though you introduced them on his territory? If so this will have been part of the problem, you need to start on neutral territory, clean with disinfectant/ white vinegar to get rid of any smells. Start off in a smallish area.

There will be some chasing and humping etc this is perfectly normal. Depending on how they go you will need to keep them in a small neutral area for a few days and gradually increase their space. You do need to stick at it though unless they actually attack each other leave them to it otherwise you are starting from scratch each time. Will your local rescue centre bond them for you?

When you do reintroduce them to their new home it needs to have been cleaned thoroughly so that it doesnt smell of your original bun. Moving things around can help too anything to stop if feeling like 'his' home

When I bonded my last 2 I separated them as soon as there was any sign of aggression (don't wait until there is biting etc) and kept them separate until the next day or later on that day and just tried to build up the time together in neutral territory.

Each time you move them to a different area or larget area, keep a close eye on them.

I did it slow time but it did work in the end.

Good luck.

Hi,

they were fine together for first few minutes, he went to hump her and she turned on him. It happened so quickly! Thumper has had access to all the house so there is only the bathroom which is neutral. I have let them meet there a few times. I have to make a decision as to whether we keep Honey and I keep trying to bond them or give up and give her back to rescue which I really don't want to do! The rescue centre have said it would probably be best to give up as they are actually fighting after a relativley short time in each others company! I have come on this site hoping for some positive direction. I am happy to try anything as long as neither rabbit gets hurt!

Hi,

they were fine together for first few minutes, he went to hump her and she turned on him. It happened so quickly! Thumper has had access to all the house so there is only the bathroom which is neutral. I have let them meet there a few times. I have to make a decision as to whether we keep Honey and I keep trying to bond them or give up and give her back to rescue which I really don't want to do! The rescue centre have said it would probably be best to give up as they are actually fighting after a relativley short time in each others company! I have come on this site hoping for some positive direction. I am happy to try anything as long as neither rabbit gets hurt!

When I started to bond my latest two they fought straight away - more that Katy attacked Homer - my local RSPCA gave me some advice and said it did not look like they would bond and I could take her back and "swop" her. I was in tears over it and decided that I would keep her no matter what and they would live next to each other in a new wendy house I was buying.

When we got the wendy house it was my last ditch attempt (and totally neutral) and I put them both in and sat inbetween them and did not let them near each other for a couple of days. Gradually I let them cross from one side to the other and any sign of aggression e.g. tail up I would immediately separate them and try again the next day. I just built up the time they spent together and then one day (about 7-10 days later) Homey licked Katy. The following day the same happened and then Katy licked Homer. Katy now dotes on Homer (who couldn't?).

Personally I think Katy was not used to being with another rabbit so was not sure what to do. Also we do not know her background as she was a stray - she was a nervous bunny.

We had to be careful when putting them in the garden (the next stage) as the chasing started again so I sat in the run with them :roll: but the process was a lot quicker and by an hour or so they were fine.

Some people take their rabbits for a car ride in a carrier as this is supposed to help them take comfort in each other.

Good luck, don't give up on them just yet.

Hi again,

I intend not to give up just yet! Although, I am quite nervous about letting them get too close to each other! I have a neutral part of the garden neither have been in, I will use this space to re introduce them to each other, and follow your advice. Fingers Crossed!

Ps. Thumper loves car journeys, in fact he doesn't seem fazed by anything other than fighting with Honey, who incidently is a nervous wreck! Though she has shown sighs of settling in at last. ie, not immediately running for cover when I enter the room!

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far.x

Back