• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! 50 rabbits and 100 guinea pigs need to be in rescue by the weekend!!

We run a Guinea pig rescue centre in Bournemouth. My foster home is in Hampshire. Lymington is slap bang in the middle of both. We have room for all 100 Guineas, we have a Landrover. We can travel today.

The rabbits are harder as we have 35 rabbits between us. But we can help with the Gunieas. We have funding in place for vets bills, we have hay and food brought by the bulk so can accomadate this amount. We have hutches waiting, water bottles and volenteers for the cuddles.

Please please please drop us a line with the information. We will be there.

Bunny - Slave and Bunny. XXXXXXX:wave::wave::wave:

Thanks for your response. Ive just heard from Anna, who is trying to sort out the guinea pig rescue. I am just going to pm you her details.

If there is absolutely no-one else to take some of the bunnies, we have quite a few spare crates and cages here to take some temporarily to prevent pts, but we could only do this with the support of a rescue or two as we don't normal deal with rehoming rabbits. If any of them have major health problems that are suitable to stay at the sanctuary then maybe we could take a couple permanently depending on their needs.

Not sure anyone is actually taking any control over the whole removal, but as Lorraine has mentioned, Sue at Southampton may be going in to assess.

But, if anyone on here does end up collating offers of help with fostering/rescue spaces and or transport, then I have heard of one more offer of transport in the south region. Luvabun can do Saturday only. If her offer of help is any use, then please contact her via PM.

Rosie:

Can you let me know urgently if you received my pm and whether you have given the woman Sue's (southampton Rabbit Rescue phone no).

I have passed Sue's details also to Anna from Wheek and Sqeak to see if Sue can go with Anna.

Helen, if Jill has offered to go on Saturday, Im thinking Ill meet her there. Can you tell her. Hopefully we will get a clearer picture later today.

Rosie:

Can you let me know urgently if you received my pm and whether you have given the woman Sue's (southampton Rabbit Rescue phone no).

I have passed Sue's details also to Anna from Wheek and Sqeak to see if Sue can go with Anna.

Helen, if Jill has offered to go on Saturday, Im thinking Ill meet her there. Can you tell her. Hopefully we will get a clearer picture later today.

PM'ng you Lorraine.

I have counted up we have 3 empty hutches, 3 dog crates and 2 indoor cages available. None of these would be ideal long term but as a preference to pts we could use them until rescues can make some spaces :) But we still have our hay problem which isn't going to help. We are obviously happy to take buns with health problems and depending on size of the bun depends on whether we can fit pairs into any of our available accommodation. Steve is happy to travel part way, and will travel the whole journey if necessary.

Once someone has assessed the situation please could you let me know so I can contact them to see if we can help or you are welcome to pass on my details :)

Not sure anyone is actually taking any control over the whole removal, but as Lorraine has mentioned, Sue at Southampton may be going in to assess.

But, if anyone on here does end up collating offers of help with fostering/rescue spaces and or transport, then I have heard of one more offer of transport in the south region. Luvabun can do Saturday only. If her offer of help is any use, then please contact her via PM.

We can do tomorrow only, too, because the boys are coming back on Sunday, so we'll have to pick them up at Heathrow.

But I could keep one or two rabbits here over night, if someone can come and pick them up for onward transport on Sunday (before 5 pm).

Our offer of transport is still here.

Plus, if needs be, we have 2 spare 6 footers so could take on 2 singles or 2 pairs of buns if it will prevent pts.

I could foster some of the buns but would need to borrow hutches or crates (depending on outdoor or indoor).

Hopefully, once Anna and Sue have assessed the situation they will know what sort of help is needed.

I could foster some of the buns but would need to borrow hutches or crates (depending on outdoor or indoor).

Hopefully, once Anna and Sue have assessed the situation they will know what sort of help is needed.

Absolutely.

Problem will be that we don't know until someone goes, exactly how many (as it could be more or less than 50) or the condition of the animals. AND, unless all are removed, leaving the woman with no rabbits (as I suspect none will be neutered) the problem could reoccur.

Yes, that's the thing. I heard from a friend last night that there was a similar case in the New Forest a few years ago. She can't quite remember which town it was, but there were lots of bunnies and piggies, and they were in a terrible state. It might be the same woman, who knows.

UPDATE;

I have just spoken with Anna from Wheek and Squeak who is co-ordinating the removal of the guinea pigs. She is removing 30 on Sunday.

The situation is difficult. Anna is going to talk to the owner and ask if someone from "Rabbit Rescue" can come over the weekend and talk to her about the rabbits and take "some" away. She feels the situation is very delicate and needs to talk to the owner before passing out her no. As soon as I hear back from Anna, I will let update Sue(SRR) and let Luvabun and Gisela know if they are needed.

Looking through the thread, the bunny offers are:

Eastbourne Rabbit rescue 6 singles or 6 pairs
Lorna/Helen - 4 singles
Arc - 1 pair
Elaine - guinea pigs - possible baby rabbits

This means that currenly we have places for 14/20 bunnies out of the 50 and all other places full.

Liz has also offered emergency places.

UPDATE;

I have just spoken with Anna from Wheek and Squeak who is co-ordinating the removal of the guinea pigs. She is removing 30 on Sunday.

The situation is difficult. Anna is going to talk to the owner and ask if someone from "Rabbit Rescue" can come over the weekend and talk to her about the rabbits and take "some" away. As soon as I hear back from Anna, I will let update Sue(SRR) and let Luvabun and Gisela know if they are needed.

Looking through the thread, the bunny offers are:

Eastbourne Rabbit rescue 6 singles or 6 pairs
Lorna/Helen - 4 singles
Arc - 1 pair
Elaine - guinea pigs - possible baby rabbits

This means that currenly we have places for 14/20 bunnies out of the 50 and all other places full.

Liz has also offered emergency places.

We have room for 2 singles or 2 pairs if needed

If the emergency places aren't needed we can definitely take a couple permanently if they have major health problems or any other sort of special needs. I can imagine that there may be quite a few with problems given the situation :(

Isn't this a welfare issue so the RSPCA should be involved? Just wondering because obviously whilst it's incredibly sad when people 'hoard' animals as has been said, it's also neglect isn't it? :?

Isn't this a welfare issue so the RSPCA should be involved? Just wondering because obviously whilst it's incredibly sad when people 'hoard' animals as has been said, it's also neglect isn't it? :?

Anna is going on Sunday and will know more once she is face to face. Its difficult to know anything, if one is only having phone conversations.

Has anyone tried PACT in Norfolk? They say they always have at least 80 rabbits on their website but when we went a month or so ago they had nowhere near that many so they might have space for a few.

http://www.pactsanctuary.org/rescue-rabbits.html

Also might be worth trying Martlesham RSPCA, where we are hoping to adopt from as they are independent from the main charity, Block fenn also take in buns. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I don't think many of the Norfolk rescues are that well-represented on this site. :D

Back