• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

Certainly worth a try, thank you both!

We have him stable on pellets and parsley atm (today is 14 days on) - good poops etc overnight and he's mobile and active in the day, just very very lazy and sleepy from about 10am - 7pm at night, makes up for it at night though.

Have to feed him certain strands of hay since the latest seizure, which is just odd because he used to gobble by himself. As before, meds atm 0.3 metacam after food, panacur for another 2weeks and a daily shot of fibreplex to assist him.

One thing worth mentioning, his weepy eyes are massively on and off, so for the past few days he's been fine but last night his right eye was extremely damp (there's no discharge - it's clear) - any ideas? Everything feels normal, gut sounds good when he eats, very limited clicking. Teeth noises sometimes are a bit quiet, but they've improved.

Maybe eye drops? We clean it each morning with luke warm water and a fresh cloth specially for him, that seems to make sure the fur reverts to normal by mid afternoon.

Cheers folks!

Rich

Hey you're welcome :)

I have some eye drops for a rabbit that has periodic weepy eyes. Do you know what's causing the weeping? Is it a blocked tear duct? Long tooth roots? Low immune system?

You are right to keep the eyes clean, as it can degrade the fur and skin around the eyes otherwise ...

I am glad he's active at night - one of mine does his manoeuvres around 11pm come what may. Very funny to watch :)

We change his litter daily now to poop monitor

https://fetch.co.uk/back-to-nature-...9c8QLC2vAdOpUk-Efo_6zm3ixNeMgRp4aAvlfEALw_wcB

It might be this (can swap back to the 7 towels we had for each day of the week) and the fresh hay as it feels naturally dusty. He is also in a heavy moult at the moment too so maybe it is irritation of the eyes! Certainly worth a little chat with the vet to make sure it doesn't get uncomfortable for him.

He's really not taken to being brushed or touched (strokes is ok) towards the back of his spine these days though, wonder if that leg injury is still a burden for him.

One day at a time we will work through his problems to ensure he's as comfortable as possible!

SemSUJ2.jpg

We change his litter daily now to poop monitor

https://fetch.co.uk/back-to-nature-...9c8QLC2vAdOpUk-Efo_6zm3ixNeMgRp4aAvlfEALw_wcB

It might be this (can swap back to the 7 towels we had for each day of the week) and the fresh hay as it feels naturally dusty. He is also in a heavy moult at the moment too so maybe it is irritation of the eyes! Certainly worth a little chat with the vet to make sure it doesn't get uncomfortable for him.

He's really not taken to being brushed or touched (strokes is ok) towards the back of his spine these days though, wonder if that leg injury is still a burden for him.

One day at a time we will work through his problems to ensure he's as comfortable as possible!

SemSUJ2.jpg

What a lovely photo :love:

Hi folks once again...

Hope you're all well...

Was wondering if you had any advice, Sid is barely clicking now (A good sign!), to be fair he was hyper active last night and is in general good spirits. In the past few days he has gone back to grazing Hay by himself (albeit in very small amounts) the only problem is his poop output while consistent and round, of good texture and moisture etc is getting fairly small to the point I'm beginning to worry again. On his cage there is a bit of a grid in the plastic raised above from the floor of the cage where he goes in to eat in his bowl ....where you can drop a poop on and usually it will fill a small grid box of the design, it's now inside it at the moment, so def smaller than before.

Current meds: 2 days of Panacur left (26 days in) Metacam (0.25ml per night) and 1ml fibreplex a day. Drinking fine.

Is there anything we can give him to encourage, we have tried the biscuits > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbow-Natural-Science-Digestive-Support/dp/B007PZEBKS & Protexin pro fibre pellets alongside his normal nugget feed and he will pick them out ( https://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin_P...qkuHnO6WPEymq1Vt5tl_4gPun5HvSwxMaAg8sEALw_wcB )

Is there any other foods we can try? I guess CC (perhaps morning & night just to see if the extra fibre helps build them up) or any particular plant leaves etc that may naturally bring this about?

Thank you!
Rich

Hi folks once again...

Hope you're all well...

Was wondering if you had any advice, Sid is barely clicking now (A good sign!), to be fair he was hyper active last night and is in general good spirits. In the past few days he has gone back to grazing Hay by himself (albeit in very small amounts) the only problem is his poop output while consistent and round, of good texture and moisture etc is getting fairly small to the point I'm beginning to worry again. On his cage there is a bit of a grid in the plastic raised above from the floor of the cage where he goes in to eat in his bowl ....where you can drop a poop on and usually it will fill a small grid box of the design, it's now inside it at the moment, so def smaller than before.

Current meds: 2 days of Panacur left (26 days in) Metacam (0.25ml per night) and 1ml fibreplex a day. Drinking fine.

Is there anything we can give him to encourage, we have tried the biscuits > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbow-Natural-Science-Digestive-Support/dp/B007PZEBKS & Protexin pro fibre pellets alongside his normal nugget feed and he will pick them out ( https://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin_P...qkuHnO6WPEymq1Vt5tl_4gPun5HvSwxMaAg8sEALw_wcB )

Is there any other foods we can try? I guess CC (perhaps morning & night just to see if the extra fibre helps build them up) or any particular plant leaves etc that may naturally bring this about?

Thank you!
Rich

Sorry I missed this update yesterday Rich. I'm glad to hear that Siddi is doing better at the moment. I would try not to overthink things re his poo size. Obviously given his history being vigilant is necessary, but poo size can vary a little depending on several things including amount of long fibre ingested, hydration status, amount of exercise the Rabbit is having etc....etc.

I cant remember if you have tried Sid on Fibafirst

http://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Bramble leaves-eg Blackberry leaves- could be useful, if you can locate some to forage for Sid.

Also, Cleavers are supposed to have laxative properties

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/more-free-forrage-feasts/

Then there are lots of dried Forages which can all add to fibre intake

https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/single-dried-herbs/

A useful book about Foraging for Rabbits

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Hi folks once again...

Hope you're all well...

Thank you!
Rich

Hi there Rich, and I am pleased to hear that Siddi is doing well!

I do understand your point re poos, and I have this at the moment with one of mine. Have you tried several different sorts of hay to tempt him? and even perhaps a bit of alfalfa hay - which although rich in calcium (so feed sparingly) is very tasty indeed :) Readigrass too can be a useful addition.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk

What I do with mine is give some extra fibafirst as this has long strand fibre which is good for the gut and the teeth, and is a food as well.

You can get them from Pets at Home, as they have an online exclusive which is good value:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fibafirst-rabbit-2kg

Some peoples' rabbis prefer this instead - a similar formula:

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

Both of these are excellent for teeth and digestions.

You can also try sourcing some bramble leaves, which should be around this time of year. It's usually possible to get them most of the time and I would highly recommend :)

Tree leaves are also very good for fibre:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

Apple, pear, rowan, beech, hazel, willow ... And of course the branches.

Good luck. I hope something there might help :)

Hello!

Mislaid my password, these are both great, thank you so much!!!

Will review and see what we can work with - he has loads of hay atm - the golden oat, timothy and a few others, he is slowly getting back into the swings.

He has since finished his course of Panacur & we are doing 5ml of CC late night at the moment to assist with poop. So far so good. Anything we can feed him naturally though would be far better.

Thanks once again, will keep you posted if you're keen! Cheers!

Rich

Hello!

Will review and see what we can work with - he has loads of hay atm - the golden oat, timothy and a few others, he is slowly getting back into the swings.

He has since finished his course of Panacur & we are doing 5ml of CC late night at the moment to assist with poop. So far so good. Anything we can feed him naturally though would be far better.

Rich

I look forward to the next Siddi update ! :D

Hello!

Rich

Yes Rich, def keen for Siddi updates :wave:

Hi folks,

Hope you're well.

Sorry to bombard you so soon but we want to get to the bottom of a little problem Sid has had since Seizure 2.

As I mentioned before at night he seems to have a runny eye (right) and ever so slightly runny noise. Also, since his second seizure he won't be as confident eating hay nor does he make the same tooth noises as before. They literally sound a tone different now and he will barely gnaw at anything. What is noticable and is a bit concerning is his left eye when he lowers his head down to the floor and when you pick him up from the belly (I only ever do this to plonk him on something next to me - e.g. the table for meds when I have to scoop him from under it) his left eye will visabily bulge out of the socket and protrude his inner eyelid. As soon as he is at level height again, he blinks - it goes back into place like nothing happened.

Given how violently he shook in both seizures, I'm beginning to think (and pray it's not a mass) that it is teeth related. e.g. a spur/dislodge of the jaw to some degree.

Do you think that's feasible? Given what happened the first time he had an xray for his sore leg (all the way back on page 1) with stasis and the seizure that almost took him from us, I'm extremely reluctant to take him to the vet on a whim. But at the same time, reading about - spurs and back teeth problems can be quite difficult to detect on analysis alone (e.g. it needs an xray) but will only get worse and given what is going on with his eye - I think he needs them checked... after that - what do you think to the risk of the xray and being put under?

Thanks folk, appreciate it as always :love:

Rich

Hi folks,

Hope you're well.

Sorry to bombard you so soon but we want to get to the bottom of a little problem Sid has had since Seizure 2.

As I mentioned before at night he seems to have a runny eye (right) and ever so slightly runny noise. Also, since his second seizure he won't be as confident eating hay nor does he make the same tooth noises as before. They literally sound a tone different now and he will barely gnaw at anything. What is noticable and is a bit concerning is his left eye when he lowers his head down to the floor and when you pick him up from the belly (I only ever do this to plonk him on something next to me - e.g. the table for meds when I have to scoop him from under it) his left eye will visabily bulge out of the socket and protrude his inner eyelid. As soon as he is at level height again, he blinks - it goes back into place like nothing happened.

Given how violently he shook in both seizures, I'm beginning to think (and pray it's not a mass) that it is teeth related. e.g. a spur/dislodge of the jaw to some degree.

Do you think that's feasible? Given what happened the first time he had an xray for his sore leg (all the way back on page 1) with stasis and the seizure that almost took him from us, I'm extremely reluctant to take him to the vet on a whim. But at the same time, reading about - spurs and back teeth problems can be quite difficult to detect on analysis alone (e.g. it needs an xray) but will only get worse and given what is going on with his eye - I think he needs them checked... after that - what do you think to the risk of the xray and being put under?

Rich

Hi Rich

What you describe re the watery eye/runny nose and now bulging eye suggests that there might be something going on behind the eye. The changes in Siddi's eating habits could suggest the problem is tooth root related. Tooth root infection can cause abscesses to form. This can sometimes mean an abscess behind the eye- a Retrobulbar Abscess

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/RetrobulbarAbscessRabbit.htm

Obviously this is all just speculation and I really would advise you to take Siddi to the Vet again.The only way to diagnose a retrobulbar abscess is from skull radiographs, given Siddi's history the Vet may feel that rather than risking another GA a trial of a systemic abx may be a better option.

Yep.. when it bulges out the eyelid looks soft tissue but it is not nice to just see the eye begin to expand out (it's always a relief when he sets down and blinks as it happily wraps back around the eyelid) - as in not firm but it could well be the start of something.

I said to the vet about 3 times after the second seizure he was having a runny eye at night & a bit of a weepy nose. Urgh.

He does get the odd bit of clear gunk on the eye I've noticed a few times over the past month, he gets proper happy when I stroke round there at the moment, almost as if it's some sort of relief. I've managed to knock a bit off the other week by moving it to a corner of the eye lid and pushing it out. Best I have done at the moment is wash it daily with luke warm water, again - he doesn't seem to mind that.

Everything else within himself seems normal for now, binkies at 4am this morning and a charge around the ground floor of the house.. I presume if it was to grow the protrude would become more frequent instead of just when looking down etc?

We are in the process of moving house at the moment so we have saved a pot of just about 2k (MRI's are the best part of 1.2k) (sorry to disclose numbers but you know how expensive the vet is) for him but after that we are onto a credit card, so we need to play this very tightly for now as the money we spent on him in May is not available for a few months yet...

Yep.. when it bulges out the eyelid looks soft tissue but it is not nice to just see the eye begin to expand out (it's always a relief when he sets down and blinks as it happily wraps back around the eyelid) - as in not firm but it could well be the start of something.

I said to the vet about 3 times after the second seizure he was having a runny eye at night & a bit of a weepy nose. Urgh.

He does get the odd bit of clear gunk on the eye I've noticed a few times over the past month, he gets proper happy when I stroke round there at the moment, almost as if it's some sort of relief. I've managed to knock a bit off the other week by moving it to a corner of the eye lid and pushing it out. Best I have done at the moment is wash it daily with luke warm water, again - he doesn't seem to mind that.

Everything else within himself seems normal for now, binkies at 4am this morning and a charge around the ground floor of the house.. I presume if it was to grow the protrude would become more frequent instead of just when looking down etc?

We are in the process of moving house at the moment so we have saved a pot of just about 2k (MRI's are the best part of 1.2k) (sorry to disclose numbers but you know how expensive the vet is) for him but after that we are onto a credit card, so we need to play this very tightly for now as the money we spent on him in May is not available for a few months yet...

If (and it is an 'if') it were to be a retrobulbar abscess then yes, the eye would gradually bulge more and more as the abscess fills with more pus. Perhaps a consult with the Vet in the next few days is possible to discuss the situation , including the difficulty of financing more expensive diagnostics. The Vet may be able to offer you a Payment Plan and he/she will hopefully work with you to find a way forward that is doable for you. Very few of us have a bottomless pit of money and without Pet Insurance Vet fees can very quickly escalate.

As I mentioned in my previous post,In the first instance the Vet may suggest a course of antibiotics. So the meds and the consultation fee should be all you will be charged for at this stage.

Hi folks,

Hope you're well.

Rich

I can't remember when his last exam for dental was, and if he had an X-ray back then?

You could get a vet to have a look at the back teeth, and see them all and what's going on, without GA. I had a rabbit with severe dental issues. He was sedated and had a dental and yet the problem (it is quite rare) was not detected on that occasion.

I took him to a vet who can examine the whole mouth without GA and he saw the issue immediately. These vets are few and far between, I grant you, but perhaps you know of one who wouldn't put him under?

Also, regarding the bulging eye - yes it could be something serious, but I have a rabbit who came to me with a bulging eye. It's proved to be nothing, but it does look worse when she is being picked up or stressed.

Continued vibes for you both and Siddi, Rich x

I can't remember when his last exam for dental was, and if he had an X-ray back then?

You could get a vet to have a look at the back teeth, and see them all and what's going on, without GA. I had a rabbit with severe dental issues. He was sedated and had a dental and yet the problem (it is quite rare) was not detected on that occasion.

I took him to a vet who can examine the whole mouth without GA and he saw the issue immediately. These vets are few and far between, I grant you, but perhaps you know of one who wouldn't put him under?

Also, regarding the bulging eye - yes it could be something serious, but I have a rabbit who came to me with a bulging eye. It's proved to be nothing, but it does look worse when she is being picked up or stressed.

Continued vibes for you both and Siddi, Rich x

Hey Max - His last XRay was May - I believe in the weeks after his seizure (this was a back teeth inspection)

We will get them checked this week, it's the sensible thing to do. Touch wood it's something that can be treated easily.

It only looks bad when he looks down at the floor or if he gets picked up in a scoop around the belly (e.g. plonking him on a table when we can't get him in the hand around bum - hand around midsection against chest pick up!)

Without him doing that, his eye looks perfectly normal. There's no way to tell. The weeping on the opposite eye and nose only ever comes late at night after eating a few times. I just pray it's something antibiotics could sort in the first instance, would make life a lot easier! Thanks folks once again.

Hey Max - His last XRay was May - I believe in the weeks after his seizure (this was a back teeth inspection)

We will get them checked this week, it's the sensible thing to do. Touch wood it's something that can be treated easily.

It only looks bad when he looks down at the floor or if he gets picked up in a scoop around the belly (e.g. plonking him on a table when we can't get him in the hand around bum - hand around midsection against chest pick up!)

Without him doing that, his eye looks perfectly normal. There's no way to tell. The weeping on the opposite eye and nose only ever comes late at night after eating a few times. I just pray it's something antibiotics could sort in the first instance, would make life a lot easier! Thanks folks once again.

You're welcome Rich. Goodness what a worry these rabbits are!

If it's spurs on the back teeth, they can be taken off by a skilled vet without GA. But you will need to consult with whoever you see about that and have the discussion.

Weeping eye is often to do with elongated tooth roots, and that's nothing you can do much about, except keep the eye pretty clean, which you are doing.

Yes, let's hope for a simple solution. You have already been through too much complexity in a short space of time :)

You're welcome Rich. Goodness what a worry these rabbits are!

If it's spurs on the back teeth, they can be taken off by a skilled vet without GA. But you will need to consult with whoever you see about that and have the discussion.

Weeping eye is often to do with elongated tooth roots, and that's nothing you can do much about, except keep the eye pretty clean, which you are doing.

Yes, let's hope for a simple solution. You have already been through too much complexity in a short space of time :)

Agreed! They're a massive worry. Far more volatile than a cat or a dog by the look of it.

Given the chewing noises sound different, weeping of the eyes nose etc Would the bulging of the eye when sniffing at ground level or being scooped up be a way to try to combat the pain of it? Probably fetching at straws but at least it gives me a case to present to the vet!

Back