• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Bales - where do you store yours?

Does is store ok in the wheelie bin with it being plastic? I was wondering about condensation etc?!? Thanks :D

the wheelie bin is parked where it doesnt get direct sunlight. i havent had a prob with condensation, warm hay, yes!
I get my hay little and often so its not in the bin more than 2 - 3 weeks. It is also inside the bin in a megazorb bag, which might also help.

there litter trained so no but if they do go on it then ill just take out the wet bits and if they wee on it loads which they havent done yet ill throw it away and but a new one as i only pay £3.50

I have a bale in each bunny shed but it's only about a foot off the ground. The bunnies kind of 'help themselves' when they feel like it :oops::lol:. My Dust Free Hay is stored in a garden cushion storage box - that's too expensive for them to piddle on!

:wave:

Right well having discussed this at length with OH last night, he really thinks there isn't enough room to store any bales of hay! It will either be a case of building something else (as well as the hutch and run) to store it in or buying something that will take up valuable space (and funds) so, looks like I'll be getting it from the local pet shop instead!

She sells quite big bags (probably swing bin liner size) for about a pound ......... I initially thought that it must be bad quality hay because it seemed so cheap - but going on some of you only paying around the £3.50 for a whole bale ..... maybe I was wrong!!

Thought that maybe I could mix it with an expensive bag of timothy hay or similar - so say for every 2 bags of cheap hay, get 1 bag of expensive stuff and mix them together - does that sound like a good idea??

Also, do you use the same hay for them for bedding and eating? Just thinking I could use the cheaper stuff just for bedding and the more expensive stuff just for eating, rather than mixing them together!

:D

Last edited:
Could you speak to a farmer & pay a storage fee? I store a big round bale that I buy for £20, at the stables - it's in a barn with a tarpaulin sheet over it, & I just bring 2-3 horse feed (chop) bags home when I need

I keep my hay in a wheelie bin next to Trip and Scarlett's hutch. Its not huge or anything and just sits in the corner :)

Thanks

That's a good idea about paying for storage!! I even thought about storing it at work and just taking some home as and when!

Still quite liking the wheelie bin idea, I suppose I could drill holes in the bottom of it too to let a bit of air get in there.

It's still worth trying to find somewhere. Where we get our bale from sells smaller bags of hay as well for about £1.50.

hey all - was looking at how folks store their hay & found this thread.....was surprised to see people store their hay in plastic wheelie bins:shock:....I have a bale of hay which i decant into a round plastic bin & again in a bag to carry to the hutches each day. Ive found that the bin does get all warm & the hay warm too.....i dont think its nice for the buns and have decided to sort a really good storage solution out for the winter months.

So found this article which i think is great & thought I would share it.....like plastic containers are SO not fantastic! Keeping the bale as a whole as much as poss keeps it fresh for longer, humidity is not a problem but it has to have air circulation etc....all advice from a farmer!

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/CavyCorner/storinghay.html

Hope this helps! :p

Thanks for that link, that's great ........ we ended up using a kindly donated old wooden hutch for storing the hay but when OH extends the buns run in a couple of weeks, he's going to build me some 'proper' storage for it ..... so that info will come in very handy!!

Jo x

That's interesting. We currently store ours in a plastic chest thing. I aerate a couple of 'slices' before I use it by shaking it out over tarps and then leaving it on the tarps for a few hours. It's never got warm or damp as the box is inside the garage where it's quite cool, even in summer. I also tend to leave the lid open when I can. But I might think about making a wooden base for it to sit on inside the garage. It can't sit on the ground as the rainwater sometimes comes under the door, that's how we lost half of our first bale of hay.

I spend £5/hay and £3.50/straw and I have a 40/50 minute journey to get it. It may be a bit pricey than your average bale, however, it's a damn sight cheaper than pet shop/dust free hay! Pretty good if they'll deliver it as well because then it saves your car getting mucky.

Anyway I store the bales in the shed in a duvet as they're about 4ft long. Then decant sections into another duvet which is then stored for easy access in a wheelie bin. :)

I keep mine in the coal shed, in hessian sacks and in a big black dustbin, its raised well off the floor to stop it getting damp, and mice and rats getting to it.

Only problem is we now dont have anywhere to store coal :lol:

I pay £5 per bale, and buy 4 at a time. They are stored in coal house, and the current bale is stored in a single duvet cover to try and keep everything tidy.

I have a big plastic tub with a crocodile lid. My hay is stored indoors as all my buns are house rabbits. :wave: xx

Back