• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have just reported this add...

What?! :?

Be some pretty miserable rats in there. They're very intelligent creatures, and need something more along the size of a large parrot cage... not to mention there's no levels in there for them to properly make use of the space - just two wooden bits near the bottom :?

Adult rats are very large and would struggle moving about in that floor space. Just as you would give rabbits space, rats need plenty of space also. 'A hutch is not enough' - neither is that tiny cage for rats. Whilst the cage is tall the floor space just isn't good, and I'd struggle with putting a Syrian in there, personally. I know a lot of Syrian keepers go for the Detolf, and promote that.

There's only one person jumping on people here. Just because I said it looked about the same size as a Jenny, which is an ok cage. If anybody has a right to feel jumped on it's me.

I'm not arguing with you JessBun, merely trying to explain to you based on first hand experience how a rat cage should be set up. As I explained, I have repurposed the shelves as litter trays. Most people do not use substrate with shelves, it is in fact impossible to with flat shelves. If you use them in much smaller cages which the comment about shelves originally related to (flat shelves are shown in the pics too) where they are definitely not needed and that is what results in fat rats and can contribute to bumblefoot. Maybe you don't use many rat groups but a lot of people, particularly new rat owners use shelves instead of proper enrichment and think that as these increase floor space that it is using the space most wisely which I think we both agree on. I think Amy's comment was referring to people who use shelves in that way, not the off one to be a litter tray or for rats to briefly jump down onto when moving between cage sections.

In addition in my cage I have taken out the middle level so even have less flat than how most people use these cages in order to encourage as much activity as possible as well as limiting the amount of food I give each day. I do not think these "shelves" in my cage are at all beneficial as part of enrichment, I could easily swap them for a litter tray but that would require more effort for rigging something up and may not be as secure- they are used purely as an easy way for me to give a litter tray in the top section of my cages. The reason my rats seem to using them a fair bit is that most of those pics were taken just as the rats were put back in the cage after cleanout so I could try and get pics of them exploring the new layout. They don't spend much time on them as a general rule, they certainly don't sleep on them as they prefer hammocks, igloos and baskets for that

In addition. I didn't once say the cage in the link was big enough. I was actually agreeing with you and pointing out to Redfraggle and Amy104 were mistaken on the size of the cage. They had made the assumption that the cage was much larger than it was based on their own experience of similar looking cages.

Of course I don't mind you looking at my pics. They are posted in various places to try and give people ideas of what sorts of things can be used as enrichment as I try and give as many different types and sizes of enrichment items and try and vary the material as much as possible within safe limits of course.

I think Amy's comment was referring to people who use shelves in that way, not the off one to be a litter tray or for rats to briefly jump down onto when moving between cage sections.

Yes I was, sorry if I should of made that clearer.

Back