• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has She just had a Seizure?

the carrier is the pet box i got her in.

it has high sides.

bless her she has gone in her hay tray and is eating a little hay.

this is breaking my heart to watch her. i dont dare go near her... she is tipping to one side when she walks.

This is her ears isnt it? i had one of mine sringed once and lost my balance like her now?

Should i give her some metacam? I gave her some last night but didnt yet today as im not sure if she'll be able to get any treatment she needs if i do.

when she has a seizure, she tries to get to her feet but cant get off her side?
sorry im spamming now but need to distract my self or im gonna start crying and dont know if i'll stop.

Cant help much i'm afraid but just wanted to say I hope she's okay and that your vet is able to help. Thinking of you

I will have to walk it will take me about an hour to get there
i have a lift for my appointment so it would just cause her more stress
i have considered this already

You need to pad her carrier out so she cannot hurt herself if she fits in transit and put two rolled up towels either side of her to keep her upright.

when she has a seizure, she tries to get to her feet but cant get off her side?
sorry im spamming now but need to distract my self or im gonna start crying and dont know if i'll stop.

TBH I would pop her in her carrier quick as poss and just get her to your vet. I know you're appt was 2.30pm but it doesnt matter. Just get her there. They wont mind. Thinking of you x

I will have to walk it will take me about an hour to get there
i have a lift for my appointment so it would just cause her more stress
i have considered this already

Will your lift not come get you now? Or could you get a cab?

Hello, I don't think she is having a seizure. From the information you have given I would say it is something to do with her balance. One of my rabbits had headtilt and when I picked her up she would lean back and go rigid because she was so dizzy and disorientated. When you need to pick her up do it very slowly and gently and hold her close to you.
Since she has had a discharge from her ear before then I would say it is very likely to be an inner ear infection linked to that. It is treatable with antibiotics and anti inflammatories but she may not get her balance back completely. My bun is still a bit wobbly but she can hop around normally and is very happy :)

my lift is coming now.. they left work early but still wont be here for a bit.
I dont have cash on me just my card.. i cant pay the taxi.

I will get there soon, i am not putting her through unnecessary suffering, i am just a bit far from town and the vets and the rest of humanity.

i did the towel thing and padded the box..going to wait until my lift here before i put her in..she hates it normally and its just going to stress her out if i do it now and she has to stay in it.

my lift is coming now.. they left work early but still wont be here for a bit.
I dont have cash on me just my card.. i cant pay the taxi.

I will get there soon, i am not putting her through unnecessary suffering, i am just a bit far from town and the vets and the rest of humanity.

i did the towel thing and padded the box..going to wait until my lift here before i put her in..she hates it normally and its just going to stress her out if i do it now and she has to stay in it.

Hopefully its what Pegasys says and she'll be feeling better soon. x x x

Hello, I don't think she is having a seizure. From the information you have given I would say it is something to do with her balance. One of my rabbits had headtilt and when I picked her up she would lean back and go rigid because she was so dizzy and disorientated. When you need to pick her up do it very slowly and gently and hold her close to you.
Since she has had a discharge from her ear before then I would say it is very likely to be an inner ear infection linked to that. It is treatable with antibiotics and anti inflammatories but she may not get her balance back completely. My bun is still a bit wobbly but she can hop around normally and is very happy :)

I can live with the wobbles if she can.
I hope your right and she can be treated.
Was your rabbits discharge a white milky colour too?

can someone tell me what i need to ask for from the vets.
I know it siound stupid but when my bun got speyed they never gave me metacam and i had to take her back in the next day to get it.

i know they'll give me antibiotics but im scared they are useless and might miss something..and what do they need to do to check her properly? and scans of any kind ? blood tests..anything?

my lift is here in 15 mins

Look in her ears, eyes & mouth. Check her heart beat & stomach for gut sounds, take her temperature & pulpate her abdomen.

I would expect them to treat for EC & vestibular disease so antibiotics, something like Stemetil to stop her rolling and feeling dizzy, an anti-inflammatory which will probably be Metacam but maybe a steroid injection such as Dexamethasone if it's very severe. They should start her on a long course of Panacur too.

If it turns out she is actually having seizures she may need something like Diazepam (I think) as a sedative/anti-convulsant.

My rabbit just suddenly lost her balance, she didn't have a discharge or any other symptoms. Headtilt can be caused by an inner ear infection or by a parasite called E. cuniculi. I don't know which one my rabbit had because there was no way to tell so she was treated for both. An ear infection can cause a discharge from the ear but not always.

You should be give a long course of antibiotic (usually baytril)
An anti inflammatory, my vet gave me metacam.
It would also be a good idea to ask for some panacur. It does sound like your rabbit has an ear infection but there is still a chance that it could be E. cuniculi so a 28 day course of panacur would cover that.

The vet said without an mri scan she wouldnt know if it was a middle ear infection. so she is being treated with baytril and incase its ec she has 4 weeks of panacure too.
The vet said she has head tilt and its when she is stressed that she starts rolling, this will sound awful but luckly she did it in the vets so it wasnt about my description that helped the vet treat her.

her weight is fine, aklthough i need to watch her eating and pooing.

Will the head tilt get worse or does it stay as it is? she said her simptoms were mild but that it isnt really treatable?

The vet said without an mri scan she wouldnt know if it was a middle ear infection. so she is being treated with baytril and incase its ec she has 4 weeks of panacure too.
The vet said she has head tilt and its when she is stressed that she starts rolling, this will sound awful but luckly she did it in the vets so it wasnt about my description that helped the vet treat her.

her weight is fine, aklthough i need to watch her eating and pooing.

Will the head tilt get worse or does it stay as it is? she said her simptoms were mild but that it isnt really treatable?

Did they give her any Metacam to act as an anti inflammatory?
I hope she improves on the baytril and panacur.

Back