• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has She just had a Seizure?

The vet said without an mri scan she wouldnt know if it was a middle ear infection. so she is being treated with baytril and incase its ec she has 4 weeks of panacure too.
The vet said she has head tilt and its when she is stressed that she starts rolling, this will sound awful but luckly she did it in the vets so it wasnt about my description that helped the vet treat her.

her weight is fine, aklthough i need to watch her eating and pooing.

Will the head tilt get worse or does it stay as it is? she said her simptoms were mild but that it isnt really treatable?

You really need to push for some kind of anti-inflammatory. Also, if it is an ear infection it's likely to be uncomfortable for her, so she should have pain relief...Metacam would do both.

I would also request a 6 week course of Panacur over a 28 day one.

If the rolling gets worse she really could do with an anti-vertigo drug like Stemetil to help with her balance.

no she didn't.

I have some already though so she will still get it.

This is what I mean, if I hadn't of mentioned the ear discharge several times she wouldnt have looked. She never took her temp either.

I dont think they are bad vets I just dont think they treat them enough to be experts with rabbits. the receptionist seemed more knowledgeable as she has 8 rabbits but thats it

I notice your in Nottinghamshire- where abouts are you? I live near Newark and have a good vet I could point you towards.

Mansfield.

It's difficult for me as I don't have transport and I'm pretty reliant on others.
My mum normally takes me everywhere but she is undergoing radiotherapy at the moment, so cant.
I have had to split my two rabbits up as the older one is a little bit boysterous and I'm worried she'll stress the poorley one out.
Will this mean I'll need to re-bond them again?

I'm worried about giving her the medication as she seems to get worse and lookes like she'll start rolling again if i so much as look at her.

Could it be me thats doing this to her aswell, stressing her out?

I don't think it's anything you're doing...it's more likely to be something to do with the breeder the petshop uses....sounds like they could have an endemic pasteurella problem. Both head tilt and abscesses are often caused by the pasteurella bacteria.

I'm not too far away from you (I'm in south Nottingham), and I regularly visit family in Mansfield. Let me know if you need any help :)

thats really nice of you to offer, i appreciate it.

Do you think I should waste my time and tell the pet shop? (pets at home)

I have complained nemerous times now because the rabbit i lost with abcesses due to a bite wound, the rabbit Thats started rolling had mites when i got her, she was mistakenly sold as a male rabbit, and now this.

I have learnt my lesson, I will never buy a rabbit again.

It isn't right though. There are potentially scores of buns out there suffering.
What really scares me is the amount of people I know of who have rabbits that dont take them to the vets, for anything. A dog or a cat maybe but never a bunny.

Back