• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harly def has myxi - UPDATE FROM VET FRI 15th, WOOHOO!!!!!!

Jack's-Jane said:
I have emailed Judith,the RWA Vet, as I am getting very concerned by the number of Vaccinated Buns still contracting Myxomatosis.
I am wondering if the Myxo Virus has now mutated to the point that the vaccine is not effective.
It is inactivated Shorpe Fibroma Virus in the vaccine. Maybe the immune response it produces no longer protects against Myxi in its mutated form, or at least not as efficiently.
I will also ask Christabel to speak with the vaccine manufacturer tomorrow.

I hope with all my heart that these poorly Bunnies make it....

Janex

If i remember correctly ages ago farmers wanted to bring back a mutated version of the virus to save their crops Etc (there was a post on here i must look for it) I wonder if it indeed has been done without everybodies knowledge :? could they do that? *wonders off to find post*

Morning update - well today so far Honey is fine, no change in him at all.

I think Harly's eyes are more swollen (I bathed them with lukewarm black tea again) and the base of his ears slightly ( I put the cream on again, put this time I rubbed it in a bit more and kept him on my knee for a little while so it could soothe a bit before being licked off), but I can't find any other swellings anywhere.

n himself, he's pretty much the same as yesterday. I saw him up eating hay with Honey a few times through the night (I filled the rack, then through the night is was half empty, so I filled it again, and it's over halfway down again today).

This morning he's had a few pellets and a couple of strands of hay, but only been up 45mins. I havent seen him drinking at all from bowl or bottle, which concerns me slightly, but they do hardly drink anything normally so....and I gave them a bg pile of grass from garden last night and it'd been raining so it was wet.

Also in the time I've been up he's given himself a good clean, hopped out in2 the litter tray a few times, and had a nosey at the dustpan when i was cleaning then out to see what it was. He seems to go up and down - like just now I turned around and his eyes look really sore and half closed, but then he's back in his bed so........

Ive got to go out at 11am for a couple of hours as I have an induction for a new job, dont really want to go but Ive already missed the main 1 with every1 else and this is 1 arranged just for me, Im hoping that as it's time for their afternoon sleep hopefully they'll be ok.

If they are house rabbits, you could put a water bowl down as well as the bottle, which might encourage drinking. Thinking of you during this frightening time.xxxx

I wonder if it would be better to bathe their eyes with plain, cooled, boiled water. Not sure if the tannin in tea might aggrevate their sore eyes :?
If you were shown how would you be happy to give subcutaneous fluids? It might help support their kidney function. Perhaps you could ask your Vet about it :?
Sending lots and lots of healing vibes to Honey and Harly

Janex

glad to hear they seem to be fighting it..
as for the vacs..if 10% is not injected into the skin the vaccine is not as effective...this could be why some vacs buns are still getting the disease. Quite a few vets still do not follow the intructions of 10% into skin :(

Ohhhh i'm sending all the vibes i can muster!

This is so worrying for all of us.. i just got my two their jabs on monday and the vet did just put the lot into their scruff.

Well i hope that Harley makes it through and Honey recovers quickly. Sending all the luck and love i can

lisey said:
Ohhhh i'm sending all the vibes i can muster!

This is so worrying for all of us.. i just got my two their jabs on monday and the vet did just put the lot into their scruff.

Well i hope that Harley makes it through and Honey recovers quickly. Sending all the luck and love i can

Please can you PM me your Vets details. I am getting some data together re the apparent lack of knowledge re administering the Myxo Vaccine. Intradermal exposure to the vaccine has been shown not to occur if given entirely in the scruff (Study done last year by Frances Harcourt-Brown) and so it MUST be given at three sites- base of each ear and scruff.

Janex

awww :cry: i hope your bunnies will be ok. what a worry :cry:
you know i don't think my vet did the mixi jab properly either :?
sending vibes to your bunnies xxxxx

If i remember correctly i only remember mine having theirs in teh scruff as well :? I will let you know my vet details too

Jack's-Jane said:
I have emailed Judith,the RWA Vet, as I am getting very concerned by the number of Vaccinated Buns still contracting Myxomatosis.
I am wondering if the Myxo Virus has now mutated to the point that the vaccine is not effective.
It is inactivated Shorpe Fibroma Virus in the vaccine. Maybe the immune response it produces no longer protects against Myxi in its mutated form, or at least not as efficiently.
I will also ask Christabel to speak with the vaccine manufacturer tomorrow.

I hope with all my heart that these poorly Bunnies make it....

Janex

Jane i started worrying about this when Samson and Delilha got Myxi as Hazel always pops a bit of the vaccine into there ears as is recommended, but Samson still caught full blown Myxi and Delilha Nodular leaving her blind in both eyes.

Lucy i am sending as many vibes as i can hun, make sure your vet is giving your bun 4 ml's of baytril each day in two injections and it is a good idea to leave a bowel of water and a bowl of soggy food out for the bun as well, as if they develop lumps around the mouth it can be very difficult for them to eat or drink, Most buns with myxi don't die from the myxi virus but from secendary infections because the myxi leaves there immune defenses open to all sorts. If you need any advice Lucy or just someone to chat to please feel free to pm me, both Samson and Delilha survived there myxi and now you wouldn't know they had ever had anything apart from delilha's blindness XX

Im taking jeff for his jab on monday, Im a bit worried now because Im not sure how good my vet is, I lost a bit of confidence last time because she tried to shake him out of his carrier, putting at at 90 degrees and literally tried to shake the poor thing out. They also used external stitches for his castration-ive heard most are now using internal stitches. Is this true?
Do you think I should ask my vet to administer it in 3 places if she says shes going to put it all in the scruff??

Hope your bunnies recover, stay positivex

cara said:
I'm a bit confused now :? Are we talking about preferably injecting into 2 sites or 3?

THREE SITES

The intradermal bit being done in the base of EACH ear (just about the easiest place to get a needle between two layers of skin). The subcutaneous bit being given in the scruff. Vets may THINK they are doing the intradermal bit by just pulling the needle back a little in the scruff. But FHB has shown this to be INEFFECTIVE hence advising the intradermal bit be given at the base of each ear.

Janex

kayjay said:
haffyj said:
If i remember correctly i only remember mine having theirs in teh scruff as well :? I will let you know my vet details too

Me too :?
#

If this is the case it explains how SUgar and Amber got it so bad :cry: and that i am lucky that others haven't caught it

My vet injected the buns in the scruff and then a small amount intradermally between the layers of skin but I don't remember it being given in three sites only two.

Jane could you email or pm the info you have so I can give it to my vet too please?

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

My vet only gives myxo in one ear and the scruff. I am taking Bertie for his booster tomorrow so I will ask her if she will do it in the base of each ear as well as the scruff.. thanks for that info Jane.

Back