• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to rush Thumper to the vet tonight

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
as she was behaving quite odd.

They'd been in the outdoor run all day, even though it was raining but they weren't getting wet as it has a cover and they seemed okay.

Let them out for a free range before tea and whilst Coco was rooting around, pinching bites of my tomato plants :shock::evil:, Thumper found a puddle and lay down in it :? She even let me stroke her while lying down, which was also odd as normally when free ranging I can't get too close to her as she dashes off. She kept lying down and didn't seem as "bouncy" as normal. Got them in the hutch for tea and she flopped straight down in her litter tray. Got her out, she flopped onto the floor (I say flopped; Rex rabbits do flop themselves down; it's in their DNA). She refused her tea - alarm bells went off.

Mad dash to take daughter and daughter's friend to swim club, came back in time for vet appointment. I was all jittery at this point.

Vet gave her a thorough exam but couldn't find anything. She had a really good listen to her chest, tummy, guts, everything, but all was fine. No infection anywhere so far as she could tell; bright, clean eyes, clean ears, clean nose, teeth okay. Thermometer up her oojit :shock: showed she was cold. We had already gathered this anyway as she was shaking so bad yet panting so hard she was vibrating the pet carrier before we fetched her out!

Vet's analysis - Thumper is poorly but we don't know why. Vet prescribed metacam for any possible inflammation/pain and some antibiotics, both liquid to be taken orally.

Took me 20 minutes to get her to eat the soaked pellets (she hates metacam :roll:) but she's had her full dose of both. She has also done a little wee and pooped, which were normal to my eyes.

They're both in the utility in the dog crate that we bought for when they were spayed in November, on vet's advice; partially to keep Thumps out of any draft from the shed/hutch and also to keep a better eye on her.

She has eaten now (all her pellets) also had a munchie stick and has eaten hay. She has also, bizarrely, eaten some wood shavings out of the litter tray, although not many.

She has perked up in herself and her ears are now warm (they were icy cold when in the vet's), so hopefully they are good signs.

However, the vet said that it's still 50/50 as we don't know what caused this and only time will tell :( Fingers crossed she's better in the morning, so if there's any spare vibes out there I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :wave:

I'm quite upset actually as I love that little bundle of fur quite a bit (both of them actually but you know what I mean). My daughter will be devastated if anything untoward happened as Thumper is "hers" as such.

So worrying :(

But on the up side, she does seem better and has stopped shivering and shaking. It was quite alarming to see her shake so hard - we literally could feel the pet carrier shaking it was so intense, it was like us when we're really cold and we can feel ourselves shaking but can't stop. Poor bunny.

I hope that Thumper is feeling much better today xx

Many thanks for all of the vibes, much appreciated :wave:

Hi :wave: yes she's still with us and seems quite happy, so that's great news :thumb:

However, her ears (and therefore she) is still going from cold to warm to cold to warm ... you get the picture. Obviously this isn't over the space of minutes, although she had cold ears first thing and within 5 minutes they were warm again. Yet cold again after the school run but now warm again. Quite odd :?

I personally believe she's picked up a chill and I blame the weather. There's just no other explanation for it. My daughter said she seemed fine at about 3.30 yesterday as she always gives the rabbits a fuss when she comes home from school, as Thumper came over to her for a pet :love:.

She's on Baytril twice a day, soaked into pellets as even the vet said it's vile :lol: (has she tasted it d'you think :shock::lol:) and Metacam once daily again soaked into pellets as Thumper hates that too :roll:

I haven't seen her shivering today; in fact she's been humping Coco, much to Coco's annoyance :roll: and remaking her bed and generally being naughty - so she's not that poorly anymore, thank goodness.

I think even the vet was worried yesterday. I asked if it was life-threatening when I took her in yesterday but the vet couldn't say as there was nothing obviously wrong with her.

How long, do you think, shall I keep up with the meds? Until her ears stay warm all the time, like Coco's? How long should I keep them indoors for? They're only in a dog crate which isn't very big - I will be letting them out regularly for a hop/explore of the utility but the poor things are bored titless. They do have toys in the cage but only a couple else they'd just get in the way. I'm hoping that they'll just sleep, Thumper in particular - like us, the best thing when one isn't well is to sleep and let the body heal itself.

Any suggestions? I could ring the vet I suppose.

Well it's time for an early lunch and to check on my girls and let them out for a stretch - unless they're fast akip, bless :love:

Back