• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grieving and confused

Thanks you all so much for your kind words and general understanding of the bigger picture.

@Scatter The vet made no mention of VHD. It did cross my mind but I am still at a loss.

God bless you all and I hope your buns remain healthy and happy.
I do hope that one day I will be strong enough to help another bun, but for now I need some time to adjust.

x

Aww, that's completely understandable. As everybody has said, there are so many things it could have been - it's just such a horrible shock for you and we are all thinking about you xxx

we always do our best for our babies but when something happens we always question whether we did right, wrong or missed something that we should have spotted.

just wish I could give her a hug scatter, might help a little. What she needs right now is some love from her other bun buns

:cry: I am so very sorry for your loss!
Please do not blame yourself these things do unfortunatly happen and you wernt to know.
Sleep tight little Thomas xx

I'm so sorry you lost Thomas so young. It upsets me when I read that families don't really support or understand and say 'it's just a rabbit'. No, Thomas wasn't just a rabbit, he was YOUR rabbit and meant the world to you.

Unfortunately, most of us here understand your pain and devastation at losing Thomas, so hugs to you. xx

As has been said, there are many possible reasons for his dying, only a post mortem would be able to find the possible cause.

Remember, Thomas had 7 wonderful, happy months with you and you did nothing wrong. xx

Take some time and when you're ready, the right bunny will find you.

I do hope you're feeling brighter for some support.
Lots of people understand and if I'm honest I know a little bit of me dies with each bun I loose.
As one of my bunny pals told me today if every bunny was loved as much as we love our bunnies the world would be a better place!!!!!

Sleep well tonight xxx

Please believe that there are many of us here who can fully relate to the sense of loss you are now feeling. Personally, I would have more concern if you felt as though you could readily put Thomas' loss behind you and move on. It matters little how long you have a pet for the sense of loss is not necessarily proportionate to the amount of time of the relationship, but rather the amount of love contained in that relationship. We had a bonded pair for nine years who had to be put to sleep only 38 days apart. In this case the sense of loss was profound and we felt that we should not consider keeping bunnies as pets any more. Then I found this quote from Cleveland Amory which helped to put things more into perspective.

"Unlike some people who have experienced the loss of an animal, I did not believe, even for a moment, that I would never get another. I did know full well that there were just too many animals out there in need of homes for me to take what I have always regarded as the self-indulgent road of saying the heartbreak of the loss of an animal was too much ever to want to go through with it again.

To me, such an admission brought up the far more powerful admission that all the wonderful times you had with your animal were not worth the unhappiness at the end."

Since that time we have given a home to four other bunnies including one 10 week old who had congenital heart disease. We were only granted 31 days with him but took full advantage of that limited time to give him the fundamentals of shelter, good food and medical care. Outside of the basics he received and returned unconditional love and the most precious gift we could give him; the knowledge he was wanted for who he was, a little rabbit in need.

There are many coincidences we could associate with the seven rabbits we have lost in the past twenty years. Ranging from how many were housed in a certain room to the dates when they passed and they are many. I dare say someone with an interest in such things as numerology would make much ado of it all, but I prefer to believe that it is coincidence and nothing more.

I feel saddened by the fact you are not getting the support of your immediate family when you most need it. It is a more difficult time than many can imagine if they have not had a strong relationship with a pet, but unfortunately it can only come about as a learned experience.

Stay strong and put aside any thoughts of guilt. You had a loving relationship with Thomas and can replicate that with another when the time is right whilst still retaining your feelings for Thomas.

Thank you so much for this supportive message.
I so hope it helps us all in our times of need xxxxxxxx

:love:

Please believe that there are many of us here who can fully relate to the sense of loss you are now feeling. Personally, I would have more concern if you felt as though you could readily put Thomas' loss behind you and move on. It matters little how long you have a pet for the sense of loss is not necessarily proportionate to the amount of time of the relationship, but rather the amount of love contained in that relationship. We had a bonded pair for nine years who had to be put to sleep only 38 days apart. In this case the sense of loss was profound and we felt that we should not consider keeping bunnies as pets any more. Then I found this quote from Cleveland Amory which helped to put things more into perspective.

"Unlike some people who have experienced the loss of an animal, I did not believe, even for a moment, that I would never get another. I did know full well that there were just too many animals out there in need of homes for me to take what I have always regarded as the self-indulgent road of saying the heartbreak of the loss of an animal was too much ever to want to go through with it again.

To me, such an admission brought up the far more powerful admission that all the wonderful times you had with your animal were not worth the unhappiness at the end."

Since that time we have given a home to four other bunnies including one 10 week old who had congenital heart disease. We were only granted 31 days with him but took full advantage of that limited time to give him the fundamentals of shelter, good food and medical care. Outside of the basics he received and returned unconditional love and the most precious gift we could give him; the knowledge he was wanted for who he was, a little rabbit in need.

There are many coincidences we could associate with the seven rabbits we have lost in the past twenty years. Ranging from how many were housed in a certain room to the dates when they passed and they are many. I dare say someone with an interest in such things as numerology would make much ado of it all, but I prefer to believe that it is coincidence and nothing more.

I feel saddened by the fact you are not getting the support of your immediate family when you most need it. It is a more difficult time than many can imagine if they have not had a strong relationship with a pet, but unfortunately it can only come about as a learned experience.

Stay strong and put aside any thoughts of guilt. You had a loving relationship with Thomas and can replicate that with another when the time is right whilst still retaining your feelings for Thomas.

Good morning!

The support and kindness that I have been shown on this forum is making up for the lack of sensitivity from those around me.

I managed to eat something last night, and being in the house over this weekend is enabling me to keep experiencing the house without Thomas and I am slowly accepting that he has gone. :cry:

I will never fully accept that he had to die, especially being so young, but I know he was a very happy boy during our time together.

Each day will slowly begin to ease the aching and loss I currently feel, but knowing that there are so many people who understand and don't thing I am over reacting is helping.

God bless each and every one of you. x x x

Glad you're feeling a little stronger today.keep looking after yourself,as for the people who don't understand how much we love our animals-well I kind of feel that they are missing out on an incredibly special experience. Sending great big hugs to you.xx

Glad you're feeling brighter.
Little Thomas will be laying out in the sunshine in bunny eutopia xxx

Good morning!

The support and kindness that I have been shown on this forum is making up for the lack of sensitivity from those around me.

I managed to eat something last night, and being in the house over this weekend is enabling me to keep experiencing the house without Thomas and I am slowly accepting that he has gone. :cry:

I will never fully accept that he had to die, especially being so young, but I know he was a very happy boy during our time together.

Each day will slowly begin to ease the aching and loss I currently feel, but knowing that there are so many people who understand and don't thing I am over reacting is helping.

God bless each and every one of you. x x x

never ever think that you are over reacting at the loss of a pet, my pets mean more to me than life itself, they are a very important part of my life and without them I would feel totally empty and useless. The thought of losing pets has always been petrifying for me but unfortunately we all know that it has to happen eventually so I try to put those horrible thoughts at the back and love them to bits whilst they are here. there is always the initial feeling of guilt in that there should have been something more we could have done but I think that's quite normal to feel.

It doesn't help you right now but you WILL eventually feel a little better each day:love:

so sorry for your loss, my first rabbit died in a very similar way (eerie actually he was a conservatory bun and the way he was found/still twitching) and the guilt absolutely floored me, not knowing what happened, it took a while but I did eventually come to terms with the fact that I did my best for him and he was so happy in his short time with me

So sorry for your loss :(

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, but I'm sure you will be grieving for some time to come. Take care.

Back