• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grace has a retro bulbular abcess U/D 10/01/07

I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

I only wish I'd seen this post sooner. Alice had exactly the same abscess and it pushed her eye outwards, she had it removed and had a drainage hole for a month or so until the pus had all dispersed. Then we were able to let it heal over, her hair grew back and she was happy. You couldn't even hardly tell she only had one eye and she got used to only having the one almost immediately.

Having said that, I think it all depends on the buns temprament. Alice was a feisty little madam and I felt that she would get through it. It was a very worrying and difficult time and one that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'm sure that you made the right decision for your bun and it'll be playing at rainbow bridge with Alice bun and all the other little ones that have passed over. Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Gemma xx

We weighed up the option of having her eye removed, but I don't think Grace would have coped. She was a very laid back, sweet girl who didn't like stress. We tried to bond her with our other girls just before xmas but it upset her and she went into GI stasis. And her last few days were spent in stasis every time she was in pain. The vet who saw her thought that if we proceeded with treatment we would be back asking the same questions about putting her to sleep in a few days time.

I know we made the right decision, but it still hurts so much. I spent all day yesterday in tears, I'm a tiny bit better today. I can't bring myself to sort out her room and cage its too upsetting.

Thankyou everyone for your kind words and thoughts.

Nicola

Back