• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Goofball's leg is injured--U/D: Goofball passed away on Saturday

Jane, you said everything I wanted to say, and in more details, after I wrote that message and done my research. And thank you for the links of the wheel chairs and the cancer care links, you're very thoughtful.

A friend told me his ex-wife's husband has colon cancer, and migrate to bone cancer, and as he goes thru chemo, the side effect is pain, hair loss, nausea and feeling sick all the time.

My vet said Goofball has approximately 2 to 6 months left. My vet also told me that some dog has gone thru chemo, and extended their life to 350 days or so. So like you say, instead of 6 months, they live 9 months.

And like you say, the quality of life suffers, and needless to say, I don't want Goofball to suffer any more from these side effect just to prolong her life for a few more months, in short, even if it works, her entire 9 months would be suffering with pain and other side effect from chemo.

I also spoke to my vet about the original breeder. She said that for only 2 set of fresh DNA, and a breeder generating babies from half brother and half sister, that's very low quality on gene pool, she said they are essentially the same DNA pool in that 20 years span.

My vet has also informed me that with most animals suffer from bone cancer, it is from similar accidents like the above that they discovered the existence of bone cancer, and 99% of them passed away in that 2 to 6 months time span. In fact, with 80% of the dogs (they have no record on rabbits), the ground zero of bone cancer was discovered either at the knee joints or the shoulder.

So eventhough the other breeder in Abbotsford BC introduces fresh DNA (the 3rd set of DNA) in 2005, it is, effectively, fresh DNA injected into a pool of really bad genes that drag on for 20 years. Furthermore, there is significant overbreeding from the original breeder, so the short lifespan of Goofball is not bad luck, just her breeders are total idiots.

Back in summer of 2005, when I first joined RU, I don't have the knowledge to question the above, as I don't know a lack of genetic diversification and overbreeding is that serious, also at the time, I still want a Flemish Giant, so I go with that breeder in Abbotsford BC.

If I have the knowledge and experience, I won't have go with a breeder with such poor genes. I should have called the original breeder, like I did today, and ask for the history of his rabbit, and gain some understanding on the seriousness of a lack of genetic diversification and overbreeding.

On a brighter note, Goofball can now eat potato chips daily. She only ate potato chips (zero trans fat) once in 2006. But in the evening of March 13, 2007, when I bought myself the first bag of zero trans fat potato chips for the year 2007, she jumped on the play tunnel and then jump onto my chair and eat my potato chips by digging her head in the bag of potato chips on my desk.

Since then every Sunday night when I eat my potato chip once a week, she does the same thing. I never tempt her once, never show her my potato chip, and in most instances, she was bedding out on the carpet, under the foot resting stand, so there is no way she could have see the bag of potato chips.

In a matter of seconds (far less than 30 seconds), she somehow discover that there is potato chips on my desk, and then immediately hop on to that play tunnel and then my chair to do her digging in the potato chip bag. Best guess is that she must have smell the potato chips somehow, and quite frankly, I can't believe her sense of smell is that superb and potato chip smell travels that fast. In fact, in one incident, she was in the other room, about 19 feet from my desk, and in less than 1 minute, she manage to discover I open the tin can and eating potato chips.

Likewise, my last rabbit, Little Happy, does the exact same thing. Back then, when Little Happy hops up on the chair for the once a week potato chip, I was already immensely surprise as to how Little Happy knows I am eating potato chips, because he was also bedding out on the carpet, and there is no way he can see what is on my desk. So I am impressed with all my Flemish Giants.

Among all the bunny treats, Goofball loves potato chips the most. I was also very happy to see that in the past 2 months or so, a few times a night, Goofball would do the above for her regular bunny treats. She would hop on the play tunnel, then my chair, and sit on my lap with both of her legs, and looking for bunny treats, it's her way of telling me that it is time for her bunny treats.

It got to the point that I have to keep an eye on her, and make sure as soon as she hop on the play tunnel, I would move my chair next to the play tunnel so it makes it much easier for her to hop on my chair. Because there was once or twice that I actually didn't know she was behind me on the play tunnel, and she jump in mid-air and into my chair, which I don't want her to fall to the carpet although she is only jumping up from a 19 inches tall play tunnel. And in about 1 or 2 occasions, I turned the chair as I didn't know she's behind me, and consequently, she fell on the carpet.

And now, with one of her hind leg removed, I'm afraid she can no longer do the above. So instead, I'll feed her the way she used to get her bunny treats: I just leave it on her bowl.

I'll do my best to make her remaining months left as spoil as possible with all sorts of bunny treats to make her happy. As a coincidence, I have no spare money for vacation, and I also decided to cancel any unnecessary weekly trips, both business or personal, that requires me to leave my house, since I work out of my house, I can devote most of my time with Goofball.

Oh my goodness, poor Goofball, what a shock for this to happen. :cry:

I am thinking and praying for you both and I am sure you will make Goofball as comfortable and as happy as you can for her remaining time.

Please keep us updated Jason, thinking of you both :cry:

xx

Oh Jason, i`m so sorry to hear the news about Goofball :cry: :cry:

I`ve had two rabbits in the past that had to have legs removed & must say they both coped extremely well.

I sincerely hope you & Goofball can spend many more enjoyable months together.

Thinking of you both

Su.x

ohhh how awful .

ive read this with tears in my eyes .

goofball sounds such a wonderful lovable bun i wish i could give her a big hug :( i too love giants .

you obviously love her to bits and im sure youll give her a wonderful life to the end ...no matter how long it is . :(

take care

Angie

So sorry to hear the news. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job for her and she's lucky to have you.

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Goofball... I have to confess she's among my favourite bunnies on RU. :) I'm sure you will do everything you can to keep her happy and comfortable for the rest of her life, no matter how long or short that may turn out to be.

Thinking of you and little (or big!) Goofball.

AMETHYST

So sorry to read this terrible news. You are doing a brilliant job by her and she will live out the rest of her days with comfort, love and excellent care.

Enjoy your potato chips Goofball, you are a special bunny lady!

Fiona x

Sorry to hear your sad news.
Goofball is beautiful and i know you will spoil her for her remaining time.

So sorry to hear the news of Goofball :cry:

You so obviously care for her very much and she is lucky to have you. She is a gorgeous bunny :love:

So sorry to hear the news of Goofball :cry:

You so obviously care for her very much and she is lucky to have you. She is a gorgeous bunny :love:

cannonwoman said:

I`ve had two rabbits in the past that had to have legs removed & must say they both coped extremely well.

Thinking of you both

Su.x

Can you elaborate more on the details, for e.g., did you buy them a cart wheel? Because the cart wheel is only $250 or so, but I talk to a friend of mine today, and he told me for dogs, after a while, they adopt very well, and if I give her the cart wheel today, she wouldn't bother to adopt, as she doesn't need to. In other words, my friend is saying cart wheel is not a primary option.

But looking at her today, as she just came back from hospital, she is crawling on the floor with her front legs, and it's very hard for me to watch, and know that she can no longer hop on to my chair.

Also does anyone knows how does a rabbit feel about missing a part of her body due to whatever the cause is?

It's now just after 48 hr. from Goofball's surgery. Her diet is about the same as pre-surgery, as in since Wednesday night. Since I picked her up from the hospital on Saturday afternoon around 5 pm, she ate 1 full length carrot, 1 x 1 inch tall of corn on the crop, 8 leaves of spinach, half a bite of dry pineapple, about 3 to 4 slice of potato chips, all on her own till 3 am on Sunday morning when I go to bed.

The problem is, she only eat them when I put it right in front of her, she didn't go to the dish like she used to, but knowing it's just after the surgery, it's exceptional. She also ate carrot and spinach from Fri. afternoon to Sat. afternoon while she was in the hospital.

This morning, so far she ate half of a full length carrot, half an inch of corn on the crop. And again, I was catching on some sleep as I only sleep 4 hr. on the night before her surgery. And the wound is healing very nicely, no more "dripping" from the wound. The vet explained the dripping of some liquid (just about a dozen drop or so) is normal.

She was very stress after she came home, she even jumped on me while I was driving her home, something that I never see before. But after a while, when she settle down in my main room, she is very relax, and this morning there was a few moment that she stands up with 3 legs, and while I'm typing, she is bedding out on the carpet with her rear leg fully stretched out, a sign on rabbits that they are relax.

But she hasn't touch the pellet, nor any of those nuts like almond as her treats, just greens. Is this because she is still in pain? As the pain patch is coming off tomorrow, and if I give her meta tomorrow, she has to be in a reasonable full stomach (can't give meta on empty stomach)

I can force feed her with milupa, I would have use critical care if she didn't eat anything. Her medicine are:

Cisapride (5 mg/ml) at 0.6 ml every 12 hr. for 7 days

Metoclopramide (1 mg/ml) at 2.8 ml every 12 hr.
for 7 days

Benebac, a white powder, given by small pinch deposit on her spinach once a day x 21 days

Enrofloxacin (50 mg/ml) x 1.2 ml x 14 days

I don't agree with giving her Cisapride. As a few years ago, the pharmacist commented that cisapride is harmful to human and they stop making it for human.

I also don't agree with giving her Metoclopramide as she is eating, and there is no GI stasis, but I do what these vet tells me to.

The vet said force feeding with milupa is a decision that I have to make, it all depends on Goofball current state and the only reason not doing it, is that the vet concerns about her stress level. And as of last night and surely this afternoon, she's fine.

Happy Hopping said:
cannonwoman said:

Thinking of you both

Su.x

Can you elaborate more on the details, for e.g., did you buy them a cart wheel? Because the cart wheel is only $250 or so, but I talk to a friend of mine today, and he told me for dogs, after a while, they adopt very well, and if I give her the cart wheel today, she wouldn't bother to adopt, as she doesn't need to. In other words, my friend is saying cart wheel is not a primary option.

But looking at her today, as she just came back from hospital, she is crawling on the floor with her front legs, and it's very hard for me to watch, and know that she can no longer hop on to my chair.

Also does anyone knows how does a rabbit feel about missing a part of her body due to whatever the cause is?

Sorry Jason, i somehow lost track of this thread. :oops:

No i didn`t need to get a cartwheel for either of my buns who lost legs, incidentally they both lost one of their back legs.

I found for about the 1st week they were quite wobbly but obviously part of this could have been down to the GA & also the painkillers can sometimes make them a little drowsy too. Then also they had to adjust to having 1 leg missing & re co-ordinate their balance & weight distribution.
To be honest they seemed to adjust to the loss of a limb very well & once they`d got the hang of it were running around & jumping again like they`d always been that way. I can honestly say that `Pepper` could move faster on 3 legs than i`ve seen many of my bunnies move on 4!!!!

The only problem i found 1 of them had was she found it a bit awkward to get her balance right to sit on her rump to wash her face with her front paws but eventually she worked out how to do it one side at a time.

The other thing you need to monitor, especially at first whilst Goofball`s still adjusting is that he can balance well enough to eat his caecotrophs, if not you may need to scoop them up & offer them to him.

HTH,
Su.x

I'm pleasantly surprise to hear that, thank you for the information. I just can't imagine a rabbit can run or jump with 3 legs. On the other hand, if Goofball can run, I would imagine she should be faster as her body is somewhat lighter.

Today, she ate a lot of sunflower seeds and 2 almonds, I keep forget from the last surgery that she won't eat them on her own, eventhough I put it right in front of her, however, she ate those treats when I handfeed her.

On the other hand, carrot and its leaves, spinach, she eat those mostly on her own.

Only just seen this, how horrible for you :( Sending all the good vibes I can for a good recovery

Kathryn x

So sorry to hear this about Goofball, you obviously care deeply. Please keep us informed and I send all the bunny love I have (which is alot!) to you and Goofball. xxxxxxxxxxxx

goofball2005dn9.jpg

Here's a photo after surgery with Goofball's leg removed. (I rush down to a camera store to buy a camera). Her stitches (interior stitched) were fine with no infection until this Sunday morning (10 days later), where I notice a few drop of pus (light creamy cheese color liquid) and a few drop of blood. I check the wound even as of Sat., and there really isn't any red spot. Although she did lick the spot once in a blue moon in the past 10 days.

I called 3 different rabbit savvy vet, one won't call back, the other 2 won't be back until Wed. So what I did is follow the instruction of a pharmacist, he said I should use polysporin on the wound, with non-adherent sterile pads, then wrap the pad with gauze. I done the above at 5 pm Sun., after I clean the wound with hibitane and just looking at the wound, the redness seems subside.

My question is:

1) Can polysporin use on rabbit?

2) Is there anything else I should have done?

3) Has anyone try Nexcare by 3M? It's a liquid bandage spray? A friend try it, and said it is useless and doesn't seal. I don't know what would happen if I use it on Goofball's stitches, so I haven't try it.

Last edited:
Back