• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good food for my new bunnies? (Please please)

Mae

Young Bun
Hi there~

I've been harassing everyone over in housing when that wasn't even my question so I thought I should make a thread here....

I've been researching different foods to buy my bunnies (getting them on sunday) and I've found a few that look good, and a few that I don't know if are any good...

My two closest stores that do pets things are pets at home (road next to mine haha) and wilkos, so I've found a few links, any recommendations?

I was thinking of buying in bulk, but I think it would be easier on my mum if we bought it little by little in smaller prices (even if it does cost more in the long run)and same with the hay..

http://www.wilko.com/small-pet-food+...g/invt/0418587 does it look any good?

http://www.wilko.com/small-pet-food+...g/invt/0314654

http://www.wilko.com/small-pet-food+...g/invt/0314654

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...et-rabbit-food

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...et-rabbit-food

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...eats/rabbit-food/science-selective-rabbit-2kg

I'd prefer pellets to museli though, because of selective eating (which my hamster does a LOT of) is that right?

Please help me, I'm completely clueless and I want my bunnies to be healthy and have good food :( obviously I'd prefer if it was cheap, but not if it's bad for them haha

Last edited:
You made a thread about their diet on 2 September and received many helpful/useful replies. I am not sure what we can add to this. Don't forget that the quality of their food is extremely important.

You made a thread about their diet on 2 September and received many helpful/useful replies. I am not sure what we can add to this. Don't forget that the quality of their food is extremely important.

Yes, I know, but my mum would prefer me to get the food from pah or wilkos and I just wanted a little help comparing so I can get them the best, I didn't have the links back then and I wasn't close to getting them so didn't know exactly what we wanted yet, but now we do and I just wanted a little help to choose the best for them out of the ones available for my mother to buy for me

Tamsin did a thread giving nutritional values of various foods, but I can't think what it was called - you'd probably find that helpful.

The links don't work for me.

Honestly the cost of the pellets will be very small because they shouldn't have very much pellets e.g. no more than an egg cup full per day. So you might as well get one of the more popular brands like oxbow, burgess, science selective etc even if they're more expensive than other brands.

For hay you're better off getting a bale from a farm or feed store etc. A bag will probably be about the same price as a bale but will only last 2 buns a week at most, and that's if it's a big bag. A bale will last much longer. :)

The links don't work for me.

Honestly the cost of the pellets will be very small because they shouldn't have very much pellets e.g. no more than an egg cup full per day. So you might as well get one of the more popular brands like oxbow, burgess, science selective etc even if they're more expensive than other brands.

For hay you're better off getting a bale from a farm or feed store etc. A bag will probably be about the same price as a bale but will only last 2 buns a week at most, and that's if it's a big bag. A bale will last much longer. :)

What's a feed store? :) i'll see if I can buy hay from the farm I'm getting them from, but my mum said she'd prefer smaller amounts more often as she gets her money in smaller amounts in two different places in the month rather than one on pay day so it would make it easier for her :)

If money is tight you need to start a bunny fund as vaccinations and vet visits get expensive! The most cost effective way to buy food is in larger quantities - some online companies offer free P&p or discounts for first time customers so as you know when the bunnies are coming you can allow costs to start up.

If money is tight you need to start a bunny fund as vaccinations and vet visits get expensive! The most cost effective way to buy food is in larger quantities - some online companies offer free P&p or discounts for first time customers so as you know when the bunnies are coming you can allow costs to start up.

Good idea... although I literally have no money and get no money so I have to rely on my mum, with pet insurance though, if they need something other than the fee for seeing the vet, doesn't the insurance cover it and you pay it back or something? I don't really know how it all works -sigh-

I'll have to talk to my mum about it though, thank you :)

What's a feed store? :) i'll see if I can buy hay from the farm I'm getting them from, but my mum said she'd prefer smaller amounts more often as she gets her money in smaller amounts in two different places in the month rather than one on pay day so it would make it easier for her :)

Farm shop would be the UK word for it, I think? A shop that sells animal foods, farm stuff mostly. :)

The price of a bale can differ a bit depending on where you buy it from, the type of hay, quality, and size of the bale but I know I've seen people on RU say they get their bales for as little as £3 - £5 so it won't necessarily be a big purchase :)

Farm shop would be the UK word for it, I think? A shop that sells animal foods, farm stuff mostly. :)

The price of a bale can differ a bit depending on where you buy it from, the type of hay, quality, and size of the bale but I know I've seen people on RU say they get their bales for as little as £3 - £5 so it won't necessarily be a big purchase :)

Ah okay, i'll ask at the farm we're getting them from, thanks!

Good idea... although I literally have no money and get no money so I have to rely on my mum, with pet insurance though, if they need something other than the fee for seeing the vet, doesn't the insurance cover it and you pay it back or something? I don't really know how it all works -sigh-

I'll have to talk to my mum about it though, thank you :)

I'm a bit worried that you aren't aware of the costs: vaccinations (annual) are about £40 for each rabbit and neutering (essential) can be anything from £85-£100 each. These aren't covered by insurance but are essential. Perhaps your mum has already looked into all this and decided it is ok?

I'm a bit worried that you aren't aware of the costs: vaccinations (annual) are about £40 for each rabbit and neutering (essential) can be anything from £85-£100 each. These aren't covered by insurance but are essential. Perhaps your mum has already looked into all this and decided it is ok?

I'm not sure she has, but I know the vaccinations should be fine, and the neutering will also be okay but we just might not be able to get them done at the same time and wait a month in between, that's all though, right?

Would online shopping be an option? I buy my hay and food online. Sometimes it's cheaper too.

I echo what Babsie said though, rabbits can be expensive! I think you should be prepared beforehand and look into these things to save having the conversations with your mum at a later date which can be very stressful at the time.

Insurance can be ~ £10 a month. Have a look into it.
One of my rabbits cost me £300 a couple of weeks ago as he had gut stasis (he stopped eating).

Would online shopping be an option? I buy my hay and food online. Sometimes it's cheaper too.

I echo what Babsie said though, rabbits can be expensive! I think you should be prepared beforehand and look into these things to save having the conversations with your mum at a later date which can be very stressful at the time.

Insurance can be ~ £10 a month. Have a look into it.
One of my rabbits cost me £300 a couple of weeks ago as he had gut stasis (he stopped eating).

My dog is with john lewis which I think is expensive, my hamster Borris was with PAH and I think Albie still needs to be registered there, is that pet insurance, or is it just the vip club thing, I always get confused...?

I'll research a few pet insurances, thanks :)

I'll ask my mum about online shopping, although being forgetful I likely wont notice until the food is almost empty, how long does food normally take to come in the post? we generally just go to pah when Albie is out of his food

My dog is with john lewis which I think is expensive, my hamster Borris was with PAH and I think Albie still needs to be registered there, is that pet insurance, or is it just the vip club thing, I always get confused...?

I'll research a few pet insurances, thanks :)

I'll ask my mum about online shopping, although being forgetful I likely wont notice until the food is almost empty, how long does food normally take to come in the post? we generally just go to pah when Albie is out of his food

Look into P@H and PetPlan's 'for life' insurance. Have a search in the search bar here for insurance and there'll be plenty of discussions for others too.

Depends what shipping you pay for! Normally 3-5 days. P@H sell fibafirst and science selective rabbit food, plus excel but that can cause some rabbits to produce excess cecals. I really would look at getting one of the good quality foods. As adults they'll only need an eggcup a day so the bags will last a while, and it could potentially save expensive vet bill later!

Look into P@H and PetPlan's 'for life' insurance. Have a search in the search bar here for insurance and there'll be plenty of discussions for others too.

Depends what shipping you pay for! Normally 3-5 days. P@H sell fibafirst and science selective rabbit food, plus excel but that can cause some rabbits to produce excess cecals. I really would look at getting one of the good quality foods. As adults they'll only need an eggcup a day so the bags will last a while, and it could potentially save expensive vet bill later!
Ah, okay! Thank you very much :3

Back